Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lion meat - would you eat it?

+5
indophile
Impedimenta
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Nila
nevada
9 posters

Go down

Lion meat - would you eat it?

Lion meat - would you eat it? Vote_lcap50%Lion meat - would you eat it? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 4 ]
Lion meat - would you eat it? Vote_lcap25%Lion meat - would you eat it? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Lion meat - would you eat it? Vote_lcap25%Lion meat - would you eat it? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Lion meat - would you eat it? Vote_lcap0%Lion meat - would you eat it? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 8

Lion meat - would you eat it? Empty Lion meat - would you eat it?

Post by nevada Mon May 20, 2013 12:03 am

$70 for this.

Lion meat - would you eat it? Lion2-600x400

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/05/17/lion-meat-is-on-the-menu-at-burlingames-mokutanya-restaurant/?plckOnPage=3&plckItemsPerPage=10&plckSort=TimeStampDescending

A Peninsula restaurant’s publicity stunt is sparking outcry among the general public, with the volume increasing as it makes the rounds through the web.

Lion meat went on the menu yesterday at Mokutanya Yakitori Restaurant in Burlingame, and since the restaurant announced the special on Facebook yesterday, the page has been swamped with negative — or, ahem, catty — comments. The mane course is only available at the Japanese restaurant on Wednesdays and Thursdays, as the pride of its exotic fare menu.

The lion skewer (pictured above) costs a ridiculous $70 per portion. The shipment came in to the restaurant yesterday, and its circle of life is expected to last two to three weeks, according to a restaurant receptionist.

[Note: Lions, while technically legal to serve because it's threatened but not endangered, have been a controversial choice in America, as many organizations have been petitioning to the government to list the African lion as an endangered species under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. You can read more about the lion meat situation here; for what it's worth, a Florida taqueria recently pulled lion tacos from its menu.]

Even though the roar of outcry is loud — and getting louder — the restaurant isn’t letting the deluge of negativity scar them like an wildebeest stampede.

“I know we’re swamped on Facebook with nothing but cuss words,” the receptionist acknowledged, who said that lion meat will be still offered next Wednesday as scheduled. Also, they’ve actually been selling the lion skewers. After 11pm alone last night (the restaurant is open until 2 a.m.), they served over 20 late-night orders.

Odds are the outcry will continue as long as the restaurant continues what is clearly a publicity stunt. Already, dozens of diners have sworn off the restaurant, including one regular that was so loyal that he was even on the restaurant’s text message alert list, so perhaps the attention-grab will end up backfiring.

What do you think?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Lion meat - would you eat it? Empty Re: Lion meat - would you eat it?

Post by Nila Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Chinese will eat anything...just saying. They will pay anything for monkey brains and tiger meat. It is to capture the Asians attention.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Nila wrote:Chinese will eat anything...just saying. They will pay anything for monkey brains and tiger meat. It is to capture the Asians attention.

Agree... they will even eat you..if they get a chance...

but wait.....never mind...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon May 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Nila wrote:Chinese will eat anything...just saying. They will pay anything for monkey brains and tiger meat. It is to capture the Asians attention.

Agree... they will even eat you..if they get a chance...

but wait.....never mind...

ok...........................never.......................minding.......................

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon May 20, 2013 1:33 pm

goes very well with my kutti vengaya sambar.....Very Happy

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Impedimenta wrote:goes very well with my kutti vengaya sambar.....Very Happy

I am having mullangi sambar with rice made with kutti vengayam. Smile

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 1:49 pm

yuckkkk! i have officially given up meat. i am a pescetarian now. only prawns, eggs and fish.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon May 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Is "kutti vengaya" a small eggplant, with two cuts half way from the top (making a "+" at the top), and stuffed with what you like to stuff it with? We call that "gutti vankaya" in Telugu. I am curious to find out if kutti vengaya and gutti vankaya are same.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon May 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Nope. Kutti vengayam is pearl onions.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 20, 2013 2:35 pm

indophile wrote:
Is "kutti vengaya" a small eggplant, with two cuts half way from the top (making a "+" at the top), and stuffed with what you like to stuff it with? We call that "gutti vankaya" in Telugu. I am curious to find out if kutti vengaya and gutti vankaya are same.

That eggplant stuff is how you make Rasavaangi.

Vengayum is Onion, Kutti = cute and small. Now add them both.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon May 20, 2013 2:54 pm

I thought "kutti" meant "no holds barred" like a kutti dance in a film (item dance where they dance and prance with very little on).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 pm

indo - araichu vitta chinna vengaya sambar - Very Happy...goes by that name as well. whatever it is, it is ours [tamilians] to keep:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Off-course, I would if I were a non-vegetarian. I don't see any reason why not.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm

I don't care for Lion Meat. However i would not mind drinking Tigress's milk.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Rashmun wrote:I don't care for Lion Meat. However i would not mind drinking Tigress's milk.

How about Nawab's milk?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon May 20, 2013 4:12 pm

I read about ayurvedic medicines made from the milk of some animals -- elephant milk, tigress milk, and even donkey milk (it's given to infants who don't cry -- they immediately break the sound barrier).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 4:19 pm

indophile wrote:I read about ayurvedic medicines made from the milk of some animals -- elephant milk, tigress milk, and even donkey milk (it's given to infants who don't cry -- they immediately break the sound barrier).

Not just the milk, even the meat of animals is recommended for consumption for specific ailments. Surprisingly enough even the consumption of beef has been recommended in Charaka Samhita which is the primary textbook of Ayurveda--for people suffering from emaciation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 21, 2013 4:11 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
indophile wrote:

That eggplant stuff is how you make Rasavaangi.

Ok, this is one more Maharashtrian import. Looks like cuisine of the Maratha rulers of Tanjavur really took off amongst their subjects.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 am

Rashmun wrote:I don't care for Lion Meat. However i would not mind drinking Tigress's milk.

** why tigress milk?? what's so special or potent about it? btw, donkey's milk closest to human milk and I was told that buffalo milk is the tastiest; I've had neither. I've had colostrum from a cow though, I think that's what flim calls "junnu."

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

** why tigress milk?? what's so special or potent about it? btw, donkey's milk closest to human milk and I was told that buffalo milk is the tastiest; I've had neither. I've had colostrum from a cow though, I think that's what flim calls "junnu."

In Maharashtra, they add jaggery and elaichi and steam it, giving a lip-smackingly delicious, panacotta-like dessert called kharvas. One of my all time favorites.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue May 21, 2013 4:46 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

In Maharashtra, they add jaggery and elaichi and steam it, giving a lip-smackingly delicious, panacotta-like dessert called kharvas. One of my all time favorites.
** but that's exactly how we prepare it too, in a small village in Andhra where people rarely travel outside and no one comes to visit. are you going to take it away from us?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

** but that's exactly how we prepare it too, in a small village in Andhra where people rarely travel outside and no one comes to visit. are you going to take it away from us?

Despite your past rudeness, I don't believe in taking away junnu from small-village people who nobody visits. So please keep your junnu. If you can, give some to JM Unkil - nobody visits him either.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

what about the poor little calf?

i thought this was something that was fed only to infants (based on the posts on SUCH).

adults consume it too?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 am

bw wrote:what about the poor little calf?

Kharvas is the dessert. Don't confuse that with (or feed it to) the main course.

bw wrote:i thought this was something that was fed only to infants (based on the posts on SUCH).

adults consume it too?

Haha...do you also believe the other famous flimflamism that Northindians are pigeon-chested, buck-toothed, knock-kneed, incestuous weaklings?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Despite your past rudeness, I don't believe in taking away junnu from small-village people who nobody visits. So please keep your junnu. If you can, give some to JM Unkil - nobody visits him either.
** I spoke to my people in the small village that no one ever visits and no one ever leaves in a language that no one else speaks and to a foreigner might sound like little squeaks. We've decided that we don't care for your sporadic kindness and will continue to engage in utter rudeness. Please eat some goats, hunt them yourself if you can, and be prepared.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

When I grew up it was mostly buffallo milk. For some reason, the cow milk was costlier, and I remember there was a buffallo farm right in West Mambalam next to my house. I thought bcz cows were mostly white/yellow, cow's milk was only for the rich.

And I remember ppl added a little water as buffallo milk was a little thicker. There was no taste diff...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down