Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NI vs SI: Yajur Veda

Go down

NI vs SI: Yajur Veda Empty NI vs SI: Yajur Veda

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 2:24 am

One difference in the Hindu rituals practiced in NI and SI is that the Black Yajur Veda (Krishna Yajur Veda) is the standard Yajurvedic text followed in SI, while the White Yajur Veda (Shukla Yajur Veda) is the standard Yajurvedic text followed in NI. More on this later.

Back to top Go down

NI vs SI: Yajur Veda Empty Re: NI vs SI: Yajur Veda

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 am

The main difference between NI and SI on Yajur Veda relates to the way NIs recite the verses. Bhaiyyas sing like they are crying while they do khooni to sanskrit words! ganaaaaaaanaaaaantwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ganapatigumbhavaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Basketball

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 2:41 am

Rashmun wrote:One difference in the Hindu rituals practiced in NI and SI is that the Black Yajur Veda (Krishna Yajur Veda) is the standard Yajurvedic text followed in SI, while the White Yajur Veda (Shukla Yajur Veda) is the standard Yajurvedic text followed in NI. More on this later.

The Black Yajur Veda contains mantras but it also contains prose elucidating how a particular ritual is to be performed. The White Yajur Veda contains only mantras and the explanatory prose is not present in the White Yajur Veda.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 2:43 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:The main difference between NI and SI on Yajur Veda relates to the way NIs recite the verses. Bhaiyyas sing like they are crying while they do khooni to sanskrit words! ganaaaaaaanaaaaantwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ganapatigumbhavaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Basketball

I seem to recall you admiring the Sanskrit pronounciation of the pandits of Kashi (Benares).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 2:47 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:One difference in the Hindu rituals practiced in NI and SI is that the Black Yajur Veda (Krishna Yajur Veda) is the standard Yajurvedic text followed in SI, while the White Yajur Veda (Shukla Yajur Veda) is the standard Yajurvedic text followed in NI. More on this later.

The Black Yajur Veda contains mantras but it also contains prose elucidating how a particular ritual is to be performed. The White Yajur Veda contains only mantras and the explanatory prose is not present in the White Yajur Veda.

You might think that the NI's are simply parroting the mantras while the SI's actually know what they are doing when they are performing a Yajurvedic ritual. You would be wrong. I will explain why you would be wrong later unless sandilya or Seva give the explanation first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 2:54 am

i prefer NI vs SI dahi vada over NI vs SI yajur veda.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 am

Seriously, you are right about many SIs following Krshna Yajurveda (Aapasthamba and Bodhayana are followed by many in AP and Maharashtra, for example). However, the Kanva saakha of Vajasaneya (sukla Yajurveda) is also common in SI. Interestingly, different mEdhas (ashvamedha, for example) of Sukhla Yajurveda are now lost!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 2:57 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i prefer NI vs SI dahi vada over NI vs SI yajur veda.

So do I.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 am

Rashmun wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:The main difference between NI and SI on Yajur Veda relates to the way NIs recite the verses. Bhaiyyas sing like they are crying while they do khooni to sanskrit words! ganaaaaaaanaaaaantwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ganapatigumbhavaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Basketball

I seem to recall you admiring the Sanskrit pronounciation of the pandits of Kashi (Benares).

The average Panda does knooni to the traditional Kaashi pronunciation.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 3:04 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

You might think that the NI's are simply parroting the mantras while the SI's actually know what they are doing when they are performing a Yajurvedic ritual. You would be wrong. I will explain why you would be wrong later unless sandilya or Seva give the explanation first.

The answer is that the explanatory prose for the White Yajurveda is included in the text called Shatapatha Brahmana which is associated with the White Yajur Veda.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 3:18 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Seriously, you are right about many SIs following Krshna Yajurveda (Aapasthamba and Bodhayana are followed by many in AP and Maharashtra, for example). However, the Kanva saakha of Vajasaneya (sukla Yajurveda) is also common in SI. Interestingly, different mEdhas (ashvamedha, for example) of Sukhla Yajurveda are now lost!

This is from the Wikipedia article on Yajur Veda:

The Taittiriya recension of the Black Yajurveda is the shakha now most prevalent in southern India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon May 20, 2013 3:34 am

True. But like I wrote, Kanva saakha is also followed by many. SI is not all uniform. Interestingly, because of Magadha's prominence, apparently, Bihar is one of the main followers of Sukla. :-)

Re: your comment on Satapada Brahmana and Sukla.

In Krshna Yajurveda, the explanation is not separated. It is incorporated! It is just a difference in tradition.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20, 2013 3:45 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:True. But like I wrote, Kanva saakha is also followed by many. SI is not all uniform. Interestingly, because of Magadha's prominence, apparently, Bihar is one of the main followers of Sukla. :-)

Re: your comment on Satapada Brahmana and Sukla.

In Krshna Yajurveda, the explanation is not separated. It is incorporated! It is just a difference in tradition.

I know the explanation is incorporated in the Black Yajur Veda. that is why I said the Black Yajur Veda contains mantras and also explanatory prose while White Yajur Veda contains only the mantras.

Regarding the Kanva Sakha it is believed to have been composed in Kosala as per Wikipedia. A portion of present day Uttar Pradesh corresponds roughly to where Kosala was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon May 20, 2013 3:58 am

Probably, most Yajurveda was brought to SI. That is not surprising as SI was mainly a forest in ancient times. Not many ventured into Dandaka those days!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down