Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proposition 8: a tragicomedy in n+1 acts

2 posters

Go down

Proposition 8: a tragicomedy in n+1 acts Empty Proposition 8: a tragicomedy in n+1 acts

Post by charvaka Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm

California voters approved Prop 8 way back in 2008, and the legal fight over it is still on. First the constitutional amendment was challenged in California Supreme Court. That court let the amendment stand, but grandfathered in gay marriages that predated the 2008 general election. Then the amendment was challenged in federal court (as a violation of the equal protection clause of the US constitution.) San Francisco US District Court judge Vaughn Walker overturned the proposition citing concerns about due process and equal protection. Anti-equality groups immediately appealed the ruling at the federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco. That case is still being considered by the court of appeals.

In a soap-opera like twist, seven months after his original ruling, Walker admitted to being gay when he retired as a judge. Now proponents of Prop 8 want Walker's ruling thrown out. And the case is being heard in federal district court by an African American judge who asked whether the issue is similar to suggesting black judges can't rule on civil rights issues.

Who needs TV court dramas when you have California to count on?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Proposition 8: a tragicomedy in n+1 acts Empty Re: Proposition 8: a tragicomedy in n+1 acts

Post by charvaka Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Looks like we won't have a redo of Prop 8 on the 2012 ballot. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/us/13prop.html?_r=3
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Proposition 8: a tragicomedy in n+1 acts Empty Re: Proposition 8: a tragicomedy in n+1 acts

Post by Mosquito Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:13 pm

charvaka wrote:California voters approved Prop 8 way back in 2008, and the legal fight over it is still on. First the constitutional amendment was challenged in California Supreme Court. That court let the amendment stand, but grandfathered in gay marriages that predated the 2008 general election. Then the amendment was challenged in federal court (as a violation of the equal protection clause of the US constitution.) San Francisco US District Court judge Vaughn Walker overturned the proposition citing concerns about due process and equal protection. Anti-equality groups immediately appealed the ruling at the federal Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco. That case is still being considered by the court of appeals.

In a soap-opera like twist, seven months after his original ruling, Walker admitted to being gay when he retired as a judge. Now proponents of Prop 8 want Walker's ruling thrown out. And the case is being heard in federal district court by an African American judge who asked whether the issue is similar to suggesting black judges can't rule on civil rights issues.

Who needs TV court dramas when you have California to count on?

Walker was openly gay. Prop-8 opponents didnt object to it that time.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:28 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:Walker was openly gay. Prop-8 opponents didnt object to it that time.
I don't think so. NPR said this morning that he publicly mentioned his gay partner only on retirement. Wikipedia says the same thing. This Reuters report from April confirms that.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/06/gaymarriage-judge-idUSN0625669220110406

BTW, I support Walker's decision to hear this case. I don't believe he needed to recuse himself.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:31 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:Walker was openly gay.
I don't think so. NPR said this morning that he publicly mentioned his gay partner only after retirement. Wikipedia and this Reuters story say the same thing: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/06/gaymarriage-judge-idUSN0625669220110406

BTW, I think Walker made the right call in not recusing himself. He didn't need to recuse himself any more than a woman judge needs to recuse herself from a gender discrimination lawsuit.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:24 pm

charvaka wrote:
PseudoIntellectual wrote:Walker was openly gay.
I don't think so. NPR said this morning that he publicly mentioned his gay partner only after retirement. Wikipedia and this Reuters story say the same thing: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/06/gaymarriage-judge-idUSN0625669220110406

BTW, I think Walker made the right call in not recusing himself. He didn't need to recuse himself any more than a woman judge needs to recuse herself from a gender discrimination lawsuit.

I remember hearing it on Forum that Judge Walker was gay the day after judgement came out. Wikipedia says otherwise. I will post the link if I find that podcast. I am with you he not having to recuse himself.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Here is the article about his sexual orientation published in Feb 2010.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-02-09/opinion/17872020_1_anti-gay-san-francisco-gay-olympic-games
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down