Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"I am a Devote Hindu and a Tamil Nationalist" - NK

4 posters

Go down

"I am a Devote Hindu and a Tamil Nationalist" - NK Empty "I am a Devote Hindu and a Tamil Nationalist" - NK

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed May 29, 2013 11:56 am

I am a Devote Hindu and a Tamil Nationalist
I am a very devote Hindu. I am also a Tamil nationalist from my college days; I am now 83 years of age. In these long years I have observed that some Hindus think that Tamil nationalism is opposed to Hinduism. I congratulate Mr. Thanjai Nalankilli for zeroing in on the reason for this misconception [Reference 1].

Mr. Nalankilli gave the example of Maraimalai Adigalar as a devote Hindu who was also a Tamil nationalist. I am another example that a devote Hindu can be a Tamil nationalist too. There are tens of thousands of us like that.

N. Karuppannan
September 4, 2007

REFERENCE

1. Hinduism and Tamil Nationalism (by Thanjai Nalankilli)http://www.tamiltribune.com/07/11f1.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

"I am a Devote Hindu and a Tamil Nationalist" - NK Empty Re: "I am a Devote Hindu and a Tamil Nationalist" - NK

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 29, 2013 12:08 pm

the word is devout, not devote.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

"I am a Devote Hindu and a Tamil Nationalist" - NK Empty Re: "I am a Devote Hindu and a Tamil Nationalist" - NK

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed May 29, 2013 12:11 pm

danke.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
I am a very devote Hindu. I am also a Tamil nationalist from my college days; I am now 83 years of age. In these long years I have observed that some Hindus think that Tamil nationalism is opposed to Hinduism. I congratulate Mr. Thanjai Nalankilli for zeroing in on the reason for this misconception [Reference 1].

Mr. Nalankilli gave the example of Maraimalai Adigalar as a devote Hindu who was also a Tamil nationalist. I am another example that a devote Hindu can be a Tamil nationalist too. There are tens of thousands of us like that.

N. Karuppannan
September 4, 2007

REFERENCE

1. Hinduism and Tamil Nationalism (by Thanjai Nalankilli)http://www.tamiltribune.com/07/11f1.html

That is all fine... Who is this Karupannan? I know one by that name and pretty much the same age. Do you have any info on him or just a random reader of Tamiltribune?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed May 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Webster dictionary

1: to commit by a solemn act <devoted herself to serving God>

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the word is devout, not devote.

Yes..but the Karupannan that I know would not know the difference and neither does this Karupannan.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed May 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Who is this Karupannan? I know one by that name and pretty much the same age. Do you have any info on him?

No, I do not. Write to TT.

Is your aquaintence a DEVOUT Hindu Tamil nationalist?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:

N. Karuppannan
September 4, 2007

REFERENCE

Maraimalai Adigal was a Tamil fanatic. His real name was Vedachalam. He wanted to remove any Sanskrit influence from the Tamil language. So he changed his sanskrit name to a purely Tamil name. Hence Maramalai Adigal. He demanded his followers use only non-sanskritized Tamil words.

Jeevanandam, the famous Communist leader became his disciple. He translated his Sanskrit name to something like Uyir Anban. One day he visitied Maramalai Adigal and observed him using sanskritized Tamil words like Kaaranam (meaning cause or reason). When he pointed that to the Tamil fanatic, the man got pissed off. Uyir Anban went back to being Jeevanandam and stopped following the Tamil fanatic crowds.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Who is this Karupannan? I know one by that name and pretty much the same age. Do you have any info on him?

No, I do not. Write to TT.

Is your aquaintence a DEVOUT Hindu Tamil nationalist?

Don't know... not seen/heard for ages. he was known to me and not my friend/classmate or relative. He got his PhD in mechanical eng from IIT(Sambhar) in 81 in his middle age.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed May 29, 2013 12:33 pm

Rishi wrote:
Maraimalai Adigal was a Tamil fanatic. His real name was Vedachalam. He wanted to remove any Sanskrit influence from the Tamil language. So he changed his sanskrit name to a purely Tamil name. Hence Maramalai Adigal. He demanded his followers use only non-sanskritized Tamil words.

Jeevanandam, the famous Communist leader became his disciple. He translated his Sanskrit name to something like Uyir Anban. One day he visitied Maramalai Adigal and observed him using sanskritized Tamil words like Kaaranam (meaning cause or reason). When he pointed that to the Tamil fanatic, the man got pissed off. Uyir Anban went back to being Jeevanandam and stopped following the Tamil fanatic crowds.

This is the problem with people like you. Lets believe what Jeev says and Maraimalai is a hypocrite. So what? It does not negate the importance of getting rid of foreign words from Tamil.

People like you say some of Karunanidhi's family members know Hindi. So what? How does it justify Hindi imposition?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down