Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Javed Akthtar and Swamy slug it out

4 posters

Go down

Javed Akthtar and Swamy slug it out Empty Javed Akthtar and Swamy slug it out

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:44 am

https://twitter.com/Swamy39/status/339216326394540032

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Javed Akthtar and Swamy slug it out Empty Re: Javed Akthtar and Swamy slug it out

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 pm

The primary reason secular movement started was to root out religion from public policy. Today it is almost same as religious tolerance. Infact even the most informed label religious toltance in Usa as secularism.

Usa, at least officially, is not a secular cooutry in the true sense of the word. However due to its societal needs, Usa functions as a secular country I.e. most of the decisions are based on objective data and national Interests.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Javed Akthtar and Swamy slug it out Empty Re: Javed Akthtar and Swamy slug it out

Post by Kris Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 pm

truthbetold wrote:The primary reason secular movement started was to root out religion from public policy. Today it is almost same as religious tolerance. Infact even the most informed label religious toltance in Usa as secularism.

Usa, at least officially, is not a secular cooutry in the true sense of the word. However due to its societal needs, Usa functions as a secular country I.e. most of the decisions are based on objective data and national Interests.

>>>Yep. The constitution and system have held together through major economic, demographic and cultural shifts. I am an unabashed fan of the founding fathers who drafted the constitution.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:17 pm

truthbetold wrote:The primary reason secular movement started was to root out religion from public policy. Today it is almost same as religious tolerance. Infact even the most informed label religious toltance in Usa as secularism.

Singapore is the only country that comes close to true secularism.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Uppili,
why Singapore?

Kris,
considering that it is done late 18th century and it is written by ralatively regular folks makes it even more compelling story. However I am not in the scalia camp who seem to be suggest that it is the final word( a social policy Bible that is infalliable).

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:41 pm

truthbetold wrote:Uppili,
why Singapore?

Kris,
considering that it is done late 18th century and it is written by ralatively regular folks makes it even more compelling story. However I am not in the scalia camp who seem to be suggest that it is the final word( a social policy Bible that is infalliable).

Ever heard of religious riots, protests, denial of permission to build, etc.. and the Govt will put it down with an iron hand - no matter which religion. It is a small place, but still has the mental toughness to deal with all religions with the same firm hand. One can claim it is a pseudo dictatorship, but still...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:43 pm

truthbetold wrote:Uppili,
why Singapore?

Kris,

>>>>No, it is not infallible, but it is broad enough to have required only a minimal number of amendments over two centuries and though major societal changes. Ironically, its strength may lie in the fact there is room for interpretation, which presumably Scalia does not buy into, being an 'original intent' guy ( I think).

Singapore is a different kettle of fish altogether, being a small city-state with an Asian population, not culturally opposed to hard- and -fast rules. Lee Kwan yew was a visionary, but his model is definitely not a one-size fits all scenario.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down