Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a black man who lived in India says

+4
MaxEntropy_Man
SomeProfile
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
sambarvada
8 posters

Go down

What a black man who lived in India says Empty What a black man who lived in India says

Post by sambarvada Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:44 pm

You guys actually have identified what appears to be the dynamic between these two individuals of color in the video, and how do I know? I'm a Little Three and Ivy League educated muthafucka' that lives in South Asia and happens to be Black American. Many South Asians (not ALL) have clear memories of their colonial position between the whites on the top and blacks on the bottom during the British Empire. Many South Asians openly seek "fair" skinned arranged matches and all the lower caste people in India for millennia are deeply brown skinned if not outright black, even to this day subject to all kinds of abuse. Further, while I lived in Delhi a year ago, many Indians did not hesitate to assert their perceived sense of superiority over me in social and economic situations. Subsequently, those same Indians suffered a brutal and overdue tongue lashing to the stains of James Brown's "Say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud..." As it were one bitchy comment deserves another. And, while I felt like I was constantly ripped off, it's not like some Indians cheated white people any less. To my amazement, white people (even if I was at the cashier first) got the privilege to smile, cut the line, get gypped, and leave first; Dummies. And, this happened repeatedly to me and other black people in Delhi. And, by the way, uneducated rural men in India (70 - 75% or more of India is rural) think ALL white girls put out and are only on Earth to put out, I won't even begin on the what the educated ones do to sleep with a white girl. Talk to a white lady who's been to India and see what she says about the experience. The impression of white men I got from some Indians: liars to be debauched and despised. And so you white people know: FYI - many South Asians will slyly participate in overt, if not covert, racism as long as it strengthens their relationship with that white person - since, in some Indian minds, whites have all the money, hence something of material value that qualifies the relationship or their perception of that relationship's value. But, believe me - if you want to see some appallingly ignorant, ignoble and downright disgraceful treatment of people of African descent - go to India and see how black people are treated. And if you still don't believe then get a fukkin' clue: [[www.time.com] and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgBevCTBTJw.

http://gawker.com/5812625/educated-snob-berates-train-conductor-for-no-good-reason

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

What a black man who lived in India says Empty Re: What a black man who lived in India says

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 pm

He is completely correct.

But, he also should have noticed how the black guys and girls gawk over "light skinned" black girls and guys - who I call "The White blackies."

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

What a black man who lived in India says Empty Re: What a black man who lived in India says

Post by SomeProfile Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 am

I agree with the general sentiment on this thread. I had a lot of experience on this matter when I went to India with two of my colleagues - one white and one black - a couple of years ago and spent a few months there. I could really compare the treatment a white guy gets vs a black guy gets vs a brown guy gets. I concluded that Indians are the most racist people in the world because they look down on their own natives in the presence of a foreigner. I started writing about the trip on Sulekha ( http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeeHouse/india-the-most-racist-country-972447.htm ). But for some reason, I never finished the story.

Damn, I still burn a little when I think about the attention all the young chicks in desh gave to that white chubster. I think I lost my shot at a real romance and settled life with an iyerni because of him! If he had not gone on that trip with us, my life might have been totally different right now. Amazing how a single variable can totally change the course of our lives...

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:52 am

SP: i read your sulekha blog and it sounds like the kind of whining that pravalika nanda used to do about DUGIOs. except it's a guy complaining about indian girls and their fondness for white skin, and i remember how we all used to make fun of PN.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:12 pm

I agree with this guy's analysis. Although, to be 'fair', people don't apply fairness creams to become a white person....probably want to get a shade lighter...however, that is also absurd!

India is one crazy-ass country, and the stereotypes about whites and blacks persist since the colonial days. But why blame them? This is what they grew up with. Have you read our textbooks? Our history books (and science books) seem to be a glorification of the white race. They make it seem that white people are responsible for all inventions / discoveries since the birth of man!

Indians (me included) have a self-loathing and super-righteous mindset. It's unfortunate but true.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:49 pm

it's not self righteous and super-mind loathing set?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Black Man Who Lived in India is right. But India is not the only place with such a colonial hangover when it comes to attitudes to race. For instance, people in Ghana behave the same way -- white people get the best treatment, brown people next, and then black people.
http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeeHouse/india-the-most-racist-country-972447.htm#972450
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:09 pm

charvaka wrote:Black Man Who Lived in India is right. But India is not the only place with such a colonial hangover when it comes to attitudes to race. For instance, people in Ghana behave the same way -- white people get the best treatment, brown people next, and then black people.
http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeeHouse/india-the-most-racist-country-972447.htm#972450

But Ghanians aren't fully evolved yet. So it's not a fair comparison.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:16 pm

you mean they still walk on all fours?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:you mean they still walk on all fours?

Give them a soccer ball and they will kick ass. But you probably don't want them to be playing with guns.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:38 pm

You guys actually have identified what appears to be the dynamic between these two individuals of color in the video,

>>>> Could it be that this is one idiot mouthing off, instead of being a racial thing? This whole race thing has become a cottage industry.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down