Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which place is more lonely?

+6
Impedimenta
seven
Idéfix
Petrichor
Seva Lamberdar
iTEDx
10 posters

Go down

Which place is more lonely? Empty Which place is more lonely?

Post by iTEDx Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:01 pm

India (Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi, Mumbai, any other native place) or USA or Europe?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Which place is more lonely? Empty Re: Which place is more lonely?

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:08 pm

How do you measure the loneliness of a place .. like not being stuck to any other place / country?

It seems none of these "places" (India or USA or Europe) are lonely ... they all have big land masses / countries stuck to them.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:45 pm

lol, i didnt mean it that way. To rephrase my question, in which place do Indians feel more lonely?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:51 pm

ceteris paribus
Un Indien - lonely
Two Indiens - Invasion of Privacy
Three Indiens - Talking behind each other's backs
Four Indiens - Political Party

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:00 pm

I feel Europe number 1 Specially Nordic countries. Then other non-English speaking countries such as Germany, France etc. Between India and US, there is a big tie.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:56 pm

iTEDx wrote:I feel Europe number 1 Specially Nordic countries. Then other non-English speaking countries such as Germany, France etc. Between India and US, there is a big tie.
When I lived in Japan for a few months, I was much more connected to the desi community there, because I didn't speak Japanese. I feel less connected to the desi community in the Bay Area because I can easily communicate with other people here. But there is nothing that beats India in terms of forcing social interaction on you. Every single day I am there involves meeting at least a dozen people, whether I want to or not. Perhaps if I lived there longer, that degree of social interactions would drop off over time, but I still don't see it being the same or less than here. So I don't see India and the US as a tie.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:48 pm

What I am discovering is that life in a big Indian metro in today's time, for example take Bombay, is no different than living in a big city in the US. There are so many similarities, you don't socialize on weekdays as you end up coming home by 8-9pm. You live in a building and hence most probably don't know most of your neighbors. People never drop n to their friends place without calling, no surprises like in the olden days, everything is all formal. Most of the gathering ("dinner parties") people bring order food from outside, and there too most often people go dutch and share the price of the food, just like they do in the US. Gone are the days when the hostess cooked home cooked food or people paid for their guests. Weekends, Saturdays are done doing chores. Sunday resting and may be socializing a bit.Life is so mechanical here. People have changed and spend time only with themselves (as a couple or as a family). For a working person, making friends is again just as difficult as it is in the US. Since most if your school n college friends have moved out to various parts of the world, you are a stranger in your own hometown. In that sense, I meant India is not much different than the US these days.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:32 pm

bump

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:39 pm

USA is more lonely compared to India

UK - idk

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 pm

why?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:07 pm

LOL @ seva's comment. I would imagine, cambridgeshire in the UK. kinda looked gloomy most of the time and hence, lonely. i don't know.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:20 am

iTEDx wrote:What I am discovering is that life in a big Indian metro in today's time, for example take Bombay, is no different than living in a big city in the US. There are so many similarities, you don't socialize on weekdays as you end up coming home by 8-9pm. You live in a building and hence most probably don't know most of your neighbors. People never drop n to their friends place without calling, no surprises like in the olden days, everything is all formal. Most of the gathering ("dinner parties") people bring order food from outside, and there too most often people go dutch and share the price of the food, just like they do in the US. Gone are the days when the hostess cooked home cooked food or people paid for their guests. Weekends, Saturdays are done doing chores. Sunday resting and may be socializing a bit.Life is so mechanical here. People have changed and spend time only with themselves (as a couple or as a family). For a working person, making friends is again just as difficult as it is in the US. Since most if your school n college friends have moved out to various parts of the world, you are a stranger in your own hometown. In that sense, I meant India is not much different than the US these days.

+1
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
iTEDx wrote:What I am discovering is that life in a big Indian metro in today's time, for example take Bombay, is no different than living in a big city in the US. There are so many similarities, you don't socialize on weekdays as you end up coming home by 8-9pm. You live in a building and hence most probably don't know most of your neighbors. People never drop n to their friends place without calling, no surprises like in the olden days, everything is all formal. Most of the gathering ("dinner parties") people bring order food from outside, and there too most often people go dutch and share the price of the food, just like they do in the US. Gone are the days when the hostess cooked home cooked food or people paid for their guests. Weekends, Saturdays are done doing chores. Sunday resting and may be socializing a bit.Life is so mechanical here. People have changed and spend time only with themselves (as a couple or as a family). For a working person, making friends is again just as difficult as it is in the US. Since most if your school n college friends have moved out to various parts of the world, you are a stranger in your own hometown. In that sense, I meant India is not much different than the US these days.

+1

many of classmates from undergrad days still live in the same city but they hardly ever meet. They only appear to get together when I'm visiting. Still.. this doesn't make India loneliest place.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:53 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

+1

many of classmates from undergrad days still live in the same city but they hardly ever meet. They only appear to get together when I'm visiting. Still.. this doesn't make India loneliest place.

--So then which is according to you?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 am

iTEDx wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

+1

--So then which is according to you?

You can't maintain the same lifestyle as you did as a bachelor that was true even for our parents generation. Other Social activities (or obligations) such as weddings, and the fact that your extended families live nearby i.e. in the same city/state makes one feel less lonely, as you get to visit them for one reason or the other. We haven't seen a loner go on a killing a spree in India, have we?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Any place away from home is lonely. Places where people are very private and reserved like New England is lonely.

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:11 am

Sandee2020 wrote:Any place away from home is lonely. Places where people are very private and reserved like New England is lonely.

Sure, but the definition of 'home' needs to be clarified. It is not necessarily the place one was born, or raised or where ones parents reside. A lot of people have found home or 'feel home' in far off lands, for some reasons,( i dont know what those reasons are)

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandee2020 Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:03 pm

For us Indians any place where people in the town or neighborhood are not friendly and welcoming is lonely.

Sandee2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:51 pm

I am still yet to find out. I am still looking for my me myself and I alone time...may be after this summer.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down