Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Annie Besant and George Bernard Shaw

+2
indophile
Rishi
6 posters

Go down

Annie Besant and George Bernard Shaw  Empty Annie Besant and George Bernard Shaw

Post by Rishi Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am

[url=http://books.google.com/books?id=vfK4flsWy6gC&pg=PA15&lpg=PA15&dq=george+bernard+shaw+annie+besant+marriage+contract&source=bl&ots=M8xP4EnFZJ&sig=yl5s6-Fg_5oUKcRMaVaFuUwLmzg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WIu-UaevLI_D4AOwvoC4BA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=george bernard shaw annie besant marriage contract&f=false]http://books.google.com/books?id=vfK4flsWy6gC&pg=PA15&lpg=PA15&dq=george+bernard+shaw+annie+besant+marriage+contract&source=bl&ots=M8xP4EnFZJ&sig=yl5s6-Fg_5oUKcRMaVaFuUwLmzg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WIu-UaevLI_D4AOwvoC4BA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=george%20bernard%20shaw%20annie%20besant%20marriage%20contract&f=false[/url]

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Annie Besant and George Bernard Shaw  Empty Re: Annie Besant and George Bernard Shaw

Post by indophile Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 pm

With such a background it's hard to believe she was instrumental in the marriage of Rukmini (then an under age Iyengar girl) with that Irishman Arundel. Rukmini Arundel later turned into a well known Bharatanatyam dancer/theorist/teacher.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Annie Besant and George Bernard Shaw  Empty Re: Annie Besant and George Bernard Shaw

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:37 am

indophile wrote:With such a background it's hard to believe she was instrumental in the marriage of Rukmini (then an under age Iyengar girl) with that Irishman Arundel. Rukmini Arundel later turned into a well known Bharatanatyam dancer/theorist/teacher.

She was an iyer since her father's name was Neelakanta Sastri. An amazing lady!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:37 am

goodcitizn wrote:
indophile wrote:With such a background it's hard to believe she was instrumental in the marriage of Rukmini (then an under age Iyengar girl) with that Irishman Arundel. Rukmini Arundel later turned into a well known Bharatanatyam dancer/theorist/teacher.

athai!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

athai!

Was she your aunt? My grandfather, a fellow theosophist, was a good friend of the Arundels in those decades. I remember telling you that he built that school for TS that you attended in Besant Nagar. I lived close to Arundel Street for a couple of years across the school grounds, a huge sylvan setting. Rukmani Arundel turned down the offer to be the President of India. Having known about her since childhood, I have a lot of respect for her. She was truly remarkable in so many cultural and artistic areas, not to mention her role in the prevention of cruelty to animals.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:08 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

athai!

really? :-) i suddenly love you more

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:59 pm

gc, impy, everyone called her 'athai'. no, she isn't related to me afaik. she used to address us every now and then and i recall all of us being awestruck in her presence.

yeah, impy, i just have to deal with you loving me less now.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 am

bw wrote:gc, impy, everyone called her 'athai'. no, she isn't related to me afaik. she used to address us every now and then and i recall all of us being awestruck in her presence.

yeah, impy, i just have to deal with you loving me less now.

>>>>I remember vaguely my grandmother talking about having gone to the wedding reception when she was young. The very idea of that marriage was supposed to have been a huge scandal. There was also another person Radha Burnier who was related to RA who married a man from Europe.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down