Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Madras ROYAPURAM Railway Station (TERMINAL?)

4 posters

Go down

Madras ROYAPURAM Railway Station (TERMINAL?) Empty Madras ROYAPURAM Railway Station (TERMINAL?)

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:32 pm

...Clicked the Raanjanah link and these slides caught my eye...

very interesting slides.... see how this historic station is deteriorating just within 5 yrs..of renovation...Never stepped into this station and did not realize the history behind it...

..Madras Royapuram Terminal?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Madras ROYAPURAM Railway Station (TERMINAL?) Empty Re: Madras ROYAPURAM Railway Station (TERMINAL?)

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

very interesting slides.... see how this historic station is deteriorating just within 5 yrs..of renovation...Never stepped into this station and did not realize the history behind it...

Was this area a popular shrimp market?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Madras ROYAPURAM Railway Station (TERMINAL?) Empty Re: Madras ROYAPURAM Railway Station (TERMINAL?)

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:34 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chennai-through-the-lens/article4837189.ece?ref=slideshow#im-image-0

This part of coovum looks clean.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Can you believe the year? 1856!

Slavery was still existing in the United States at that time.

If only the Britishers had developed India industrially and educationally at the same pace as England.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Rishi wrote:

If only the Britishers had developed India industrially and educationally at the same pace as England.

I am convinced while they "ruled" and exploited the "Cheap" labor available in India, they did not ransack the country or loot the temples of their treasure like the moguls and muslims of the previous 800 years. They build the railways and the roadways "almost" in tandem with England. They practiced "capitalism" exploiting the raw material and labor much like the 'Free market" economies do to the poor countries today. Even before independence, there were local governments - just that the supreme power in the Government and important industries was vested with the whites. Considering what goes on today - the corruption and the exploitation of the poor and the "freedom" enjoyed by the common man, I am more inclined to think the Brit rule was not that bad as made out by the previous generations. They were just as much brainwashed by what the freedom leaders said.

Compare the industrial base and development across the Ottomon Empire and other British colonies, and India came out well ahead by 1920.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Rishi wrote:

>>>>The Brits were their for their enrichment, but in the process built an infrastructure they left behind. Indians squandered it for the first 4 decades. At least the country has done something over the past two decades to start a forward march.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down