Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talking about 'servants'

+8
MaxEntropy_Man
bw
Petrichor
Rishi
Seva Lamberdar
iTEDx
goodcitizn
Hellsangel
12 posters

Go down

Talking about 'servants' Empty Talking about 'servants'

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/23/showbiz/devious-maids-controversy/index.html

No one from the PC crowd seems to have objected yet to the term 'maids'
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Talking about 'servants' Empty Re: Talking about 'servants'

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:22 am

American euphemisms never fail to amuse me. The dealerships in Chicago no longer call them "used cars". The signs recently say, "Pre-owned cars!"

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 am

Hellsangel wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/23/showbiz/devious-maids-controversy/index.html

yeah that's downright offensive. Just imagine a Latino family watching he episode together where a white person is screaming down

hostess scolding her maid: "I think what you people do is heroic. You wash clothes you can't afford. You polish silver you will never dine with. You mop floors for people who don't bother to learn your name," finally ending with, "That said, if you don't stop screwing my husband, I'm going to have you deported."

So hurtful and embrassing to the whole family.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:26 am

iTEDx wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/23/showbiz/devious-maids-controversy/index.html

yeah that's downright offensive. Just imagine a Latino family watching he episode together where a white person is screaming down

hostess scolding her maid: "I think what you people do is heroic. You wash clothes you can't afford. You polish silver you will never dine with. You mop floors for people who don't bother to learn your name," finally ending with, "That said, if you don't stop screwing my husband, I'm going to have you deported."

You are being unnecessarily oversenstitive about the working family's hurt and embarassment.

The main concern for the families and people doing these jobs is to earn money to make a living by doing hard / manual work and not be bothered if someone (inculding the employer) says "You wash clothes you can't afford. You polish silver you will never dine with. You mop floors for people who don't bother to learn your name".
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:56 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
iTEDx wrote:

You are being unnecessarily oversenstitive about the working family's hurt and embarassment.

The main concern for the families and people doing these jobs is to earn money to make a living by doing hard / manual work and not be bothered if someone (inculding the employer) says "You wash clothes you can't afford. You polish silver you will never dine with. You mop floors for people who don't bother to learn your name".

Absolutely Seva.

When I was working as a dish washer every day for a year, cleaning the plates, scrubbing pots and pans with very hot water for $3.50 an hour, I did not stop to think that I was cleaning plates someone had eaten from or cups which people drank from. I did the back breaking job day in and day out just to survive.

I posed the question about eating with the servants in India to find out how people react. Particularly the people who jump and down about caste injustice etc.

The way to treat your servant is to treat them like a worker in a factory.

You pay them fair wages. The GOI should set a minimum wage for people who work in somebody's homes.

After the work is done, he or she goes home. It is the responsibility of the government to make sure that they do not starve and their children go to decent schools. That is why I support Amma's canteen. She should also open public bathrooms everywhere.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:00 pm

>>The way to treat your servant is to treat them like a worker in a factory.

Disagree - people that help you run a household are qualitatively different and have closer links to your family. While you may not break bread or roti with them, one should take more interest in their lives and troubles. And help with non-monetary intangibles as much as we can.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:>>The way to treat your servant is to treat them like a worker in a factory.

Disagree - people that help you run a household are qualitatively different and have closer links to your family. While you may not break bread or roti with them, one should take more interest in their lives and troubles. And help with non-monetary intangibles as much as we can.
+1

reason is different though: the factory worker (in india) enjoys more rights than your domestic help does by law.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Rishi wrote:
When I was working as a dish washer every day for a year, cleaning the plates, scrubbing pots and pans with very hot water for $3.50 an hour, I did not stop to think that I was cleaning plates someone had eaten from or cups which people drank from. I did the back breaking job day in and day out  just to survive.

Off course.

During one Summer in the U.S., I was part of a small team doing extensive cleaning and painting work in a huge church complex. It was quite a messy job, as usually happens with such tasks.  My utmost concern there was to earn money by doing cleaning and painting in the church during the summer months, and nothing else. It would have made little difference to me or my feelings if the priest or any member of the church came and told me, "You, poor fellow, doing this cleaning and painting for months in the church, but you won't pray in it or hold any wedding etc. here for yourself." Similarly, I was not looking forward to having my lunch on the church table along with the priest and other members of the church.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:08 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rishi wrote:
When I was working as a dish washer every day for a year, cleaning the plates, scrubbing pots and pans with very hot water for $3.50 an hour, I did not stop to think that I was cleaning plates someone had eaten from or cups which people drank from. I did the back breaking job day in and day out  just to survive.

Off course.

During one Summer in the U.S., I was part of a small team doing extensive cleaning and painting work in a huge church complex. It was quite a messy job, as usually happens with such tasks.  My utmost concern there was to earn money by doing cleaning and painting in the church during the summer months, and nothing else. It would have made little difference to me or my feelings if the priest or any member of the church came and told me, "You, poor fellow, doing this cleaning and painting for months in the church, but you won't pray in it or hold any wedding etc. here for yourself." Similarly, I was not looking forward to having my lunch on the church table along with the priest and other members of the church.

Another question I want to ask people like Charvaka is this:

There is a middle class hard working guy in Chennai who has two kids. And he has employed a maid to clean his house and wash the clothes. The maid has a kid of her own. For Diwali, the man buys his wife a silk sari and his kids expensive shirts. Is he obligated to buy his servant maid any clothes for Diwali? Now you may say that human decency demands he buys her one. Then there is the big question. Should he get her a Rs. 600 sari or a Rs. 5000 sari he got his wife? And then what about the maid's kid? Should he buy for the kid same kind of expensive shirts he got for his own kids? Would not the maid feel slighted if he discriminates by not buying expensive items for her and her kid?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Rishi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Off course.

Another question I want to ask people like Charvaka  is this:

There is a middle class hard working guy in Chennai who has two kids. And he has employed a  maid to clean his house and wash the clothes. The maid has a kid of her own. For Diwali, the man buys his wife a silk sari and his kids expensive shirts. Is he obligated to buy his servant maid any clothes for Diwali? Now you may say that human decency demands he buys her one. Then there is the big question. Should he get her a Rs. 600 sari or a Rs. 5000 sari he got his wife? And then what about the maid's kid? Should he buy for the kid same kind of expensive shirts he got for his own kids? Would not the maid feel slighted if he discriminates by not buying expensive items for her and her kid?

Thanks for the laughs. Smile
You omitted an important detail: is the maid married or has the matter sub judice?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Rishi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Off course.

Another question I want to ask people like Charvaka  is this:

There is a middle class hard working guy in Chennai who has two kids. And he has employed a  maid to clean his house and wash the clothes. The maid has a kid of her own.  
For Diwali, the man buys his wife a silk sari and his kids expensive shirts.
(1) Is he obligated to buy his servant maid any clothes for Diwali?
(2) Now you may say that human decency demands he buys her one.
(3) Then there is the big question. Should he get her a Rs. 600 sari or a Rs. 5000 sari he got his wife?
(4) And then what about the maid's kid? Should he buy for the kid same kind of expensive shirts he got for his own kids?
(5) Would not the maid feel slighted if he discriminates by not buying expensive items for her and her kid?

Answers to the above questions:

(1) No.
(2) Human decency does not demand that (he buy clothes for his maid or her son on Diwali -- that is not part of his job contract with her as a maid).
(3)  No.
(4) No.
(5) Maid has no reason to feel slighted if her employer is not buying / giving gifts to her or the kid on Diwali. That's not pat of the contract between the maid and the employer for the work she does for him as a maid.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:41 pm

goodcitizn wrote:American euphemisms never fail to amuse me. The dealerships in Chicago no longer call them "used cars". The signs recently say, "Pre-owned cars!"

thooymai seyyum cheematti is better than velakaari? i think i will keep my 'helper' and let the PC contrived names people have their 'ladies'.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:50 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:American euphemisms never fail to amuse me. The dealerships in Chicago no longer call them "used cars". The signs recently say, "Pre-owned cars!"

thooymai seyyum cheematti is better than velakaari? i think i will keep my 'helper' and let the PC contrived names people have their 'ladies'.
LOL! I'm waiting for the PC crowd to come up with House Maintenance Administrator.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:53 pm

so first names are not popular here i see.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:54 pm

I did not read all the posts in the servant-related threads..

But, what is the problem in saying someone is a "servant" ? Servant does not mean slave..it's just a name for someone who provides various "hired services" in the home..for a salary with the "rights" which go along with it...and make references to others when it comes up.

*Just like with any job description..there are employers who don't pay fair salaries/treat employees with respect and consideration. In my family- we always treated them fairly..actually we were quite generous when we could be when it comes to salaries..some even got "retirement benefits"..

As for how we addressing them..it would be silly to call them.. "hey servant come here..go there"..it always depends on their age. If they were my age or younger than me..I called them by name..eg..Sundari..if they were older it was Sundariamma, Sundariakka..etc.

It's also silly to somehow make it seem one is treating them with "more respect"..if they are sitting at the table with us and eating with us. Most of the time they are working and would even "prefer" ot eat peacefully by themselves..wherever they want to..It's like any professional relationship, even in the US..it depends..with some people in the boss role we are more comfortable..some, we don't want to eat with them..and have artificial "forced" conversations..and people who work for us..they may want to eat by themselves..not us bothering them too!

*In the bigger picture..I like the word service- servant/server..I would not mind if someone sees me as a "servant"..someone who serves cheerfully, "efficiently".  At home I am an unpaid servant (service provider)..so what? It's my family..I can be their servant..and they can be mine..and they know- I will demand certain services when I want to, too!

Last edited by Maria S on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Maria S wrote:I did not read all the posts in the servant-related threads..

But, what is the problem in saying someone is a "servant" ? Servant does not mean slave..it's just a name for someone who provides various "hired services" in the home..for a salary with the "rights" which go along with it...and make references to others when it comes up.

*Just like with any job description..there are employers who don't pay fair salaries/treat employees with respect and consideration. In my family- we always treated them fairly..actually we were quite generous when we could be when it comes to salaries..some even got "retirement benefits"..

As for how we address them..it would be silly to call them.. "hey servant come here..go there"..it always depends on their age. If they were my age or younger than me..I called them by name..eg..Sundari..if they were older it was Sundariamma, Sundariakka..etc.

It's also silly to somehow make it seem one is treating them with "more respect"..if they are sitting at the table with us and eating with them. Most of the time they are working and would even "prefer" ot eat peacefully by themselves..wherever they want to..It's like any professional relationship, even in the US..it depends..with some people in the boss role we are more comfortable..some, we don't want to eat with them..and have artificial "forced" conversations..and people who work for us..they may want to eat by themselves..not us bothering them too!

*In the bigger picture..I like the word service- servant/server..I would not mind if someone sees me as a "servant"..someone who serves cheerfully, "efficiently".  At home I am an unpaid servant (service provider)..so what? It's my family..I can be their servant..and they can be mine..and they know- I will demand certain services when I want to, too!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
iTEDx wrote:

i am sure their main concern is making a living but the question is not about them but about the hostess who feels the need to say,

"I think what you people do is heroic. You wash clothes you can't afford. You polish silver you will never dine with. You mop floors for people who don't bother to learn your name"

what do you think motivates a person to say that?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:57 pm

maria if you are comfortable with servant are you also comfortable with velaikAri? it's the same thing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:02 pm

*"Velaikari, Velaikaramma, Velakkarakka" are only references..when I am talking to others..I always address them by their name..or add an "akka", "amma" depending on their age..

I also say "our" in an affectionate way..Enga Sundari akka..Enga Manickam anna..etc I was always playful with them and respected them..go and see them even if I go for a short visit..they know I will fight for them..with anyone..esp. my family!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Maria S wrote:*"Velaikari, Velaikaramma, Velakkarakka" are only references..when I am talking to others..I always address them by their name..or add an "akka", "amma" depending on their age..

I also say "our" in an affectionate way..Enga Sundari akka..Enga Manickam anna..etc I was always playful with them and respected them..go and see them even if I go for a short visit..they know I will fight for them..with anyone..esp. my family!
Velaikaran or velaikari simply translates to worker. I don't see a Steel Mill Worker take offese to that term. Nor is "Worker's Union" a derogatory name. So I am not sure if velaikaran is meant to be offensive although you can construe it be so and make an argument against the use of it. Yes, we always referred to our driver or housekeeper by their names. Most importantly, I find the term servant highly offensive.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
iTEDx wrote:

The point is not what the main "concern" of these people is. No one in their right mind will not find this offensive, actually that is an understatement, such statements are soul-killing.

By your logic,  then it is indeed  every person's, who comes to the US, main concern to earn money to make a living by doing hard work. Imagine if you are in a meeting, is it ok for your boss to shout down your throat something like  " Seva, just shut up and do as you are told! You are paid to follow orders and not to think like a CEO, because you people  obviously can never rise to that level. So you H1 fobbys, stay in your place or else I am gonna have to deport you! These Curry-slurpers stink up the cubicle everyday"

Actually, multiply that insult by 10 and thats how a Latino family, with kids and all, watching this series would feel.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:50 pm

iTEDx wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
iTEDx wrote:

The point is not what the main "concern" of these people is. No one in their right mind will not find this offensive, actually that is an understatement, such statements are soul-killing.

By your logic,  then it is indeed  every person's, who comes to the US, main concern to earn money to make a living by doing hard work. Imagine if you are in a meeting, is it ok for your boss to shout down your throat something like  " Seva, just shut up and do as you are told! You are paid to follow orders and not to think like a CEO, because you people  obviously can never rise to that level. So you H1 fobbys, stay in your place or else I am gonna have to deport you! These Curry-slurpers stink up the cubicle everyday"

Actually, multiply that insult by 10 and thats how a Latino family, with kids and all, watching this series would feel.
+1

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:09 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Velaikaran or velaikari simply translates to worker. I don't see a Steel Mill Worker take offese to that term. Nor is "Worker's Union" a derogatory name. So I am not sure if velaikaran is meant to be offensive although you can construe it be so and make an argument against the use of it. Yes, we always referred to our driver or housekeeper by their names. Most importantly, I find the term servant highly offensive.

You are certainly entitled to your references GC...but, why so?

*Many years ago, I was surprised to see a name plate of a car in the US with bold letters (SERVANT)..it belonged to a Physician..I assumed it was based on the Biblical verse in the Book of Matthew..which is often used in our funeral services "well done good and faithful servant"..basically interpreted as "you have done well on Earth- served your family and others well, it's time for you to now rest and be with God"..don't know anyone who sees that offensive..I would very much like that to be said- when I rest forever! *Religious interpretations aside..somehow, don't see it as offensive..it's how we treat people who work for us- which determines if we are offensive or not.

There is a great hymn about it too..did not find a nice version..so, for what it's worth..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JONX_2UXfM
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Maria S wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

You are certainly entitled to your references GC...but, why so?

*Many years ago, I was surprised to see a name plate of a car in the US with bold letters (SERVANT)..it belonged to a Physician..I assumed it was based on the Biblical verse in the Book of Matthew..which is often used in our funeral services "well done good and faithful servant"..basically interpreted as "you have done well on Earth- served your family and others well, it's time for you to now rest and be with God"..don't know anyone who sees that offensive..I would very much like that to be said- when I rest forever! *Religious interpretations aside..somehow, don't see it as offensive..it's how we treat people who work for us- which determines if we are offensive or not.

There is a great hymn about it too..did not find a nice version..so, for what it's worth..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JONX_2UXfM
Let us skip any biblical references pertaining to the use of the word "Servant". That has zero to do with what we are discussing herr. To address domestic workers (driver, watchman, housekeeper, cook and gardener) as servants is derogatory in my book, a term totally reprehensible. That's all.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Let us skip any biblical references pertaining to the use of the word "Servant". That has zero to do with what we are discussing herr. To address domestic workers (driver, watchman, housekeeper, cook and gardener) as servants is derogatory in my book, a term totally reprehensible. That's all.

Sure, to the first part..I see a connection in regards to "use of terms", but, did not expect that to connect here in this forum.

What we are discussing here is just the word "Servant"..to me it's not offensive..or the other words you mention here..any type of work/service is honorable to me.

Anyways, am done too.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Gone are the days where you can address a servant as a servant without offending anyone. These days they are very demanding coz the "quality labor" is of a big demand. If at all you address them as a servant they would change their employer and look for someone who can pay them as well pay benefits.

Like Maria said I don't mind being a servant at my home and being called one. It always happens..."Hey I am not your servant!"..."Please...can you help?"..."Well, I don't mind being a servant if you say please..."

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Maria S wrote:Let us skip any biblical references pertaining to the use of the word "Servant". That has zero to do with what we are discussing herr. To address domestic workers (driver, watchman, housekeeper, cook and gardener) as servants is derogatory in my book, a term totally reprehensible. That's all.

Sure, to the first part..I see a connection in regards to "use of terms", but, did not expect that to connect here in this forum.

What we are discussing here is just the word "Servant"..to me it's not offensive..or the other words you mention here..any type of work/service is honorable to me.

Anyways, am done too.
We can always agree to disagree. :-)

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Maria S wrote:Let us skip any biblical references pertaining to the use of the word "Servant". That has zero to do with what we are discussing herr. To address domestic workers (driver, watchman, housekeeper, cook and gardener) as servants is derogatory in my book, a term totally reprehensible. That's all.

Anyways, am done too.

Sure GC..we can! And make up with a handshake, hug, whatever:)!

Just curious..if someone asks you "who is that in your home?" How do you respond..if it's someone who works as a cook, driver, multi-tasking..since you don't like the "s" word..won't say that again!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Lately my DD left her cup on the table after her milk. When I told her to take the cup to the kitchen and leave it at the sink and her reaction was..."Why should I do all the work?" I was like..."Huh????...wait till I ask you to do the dishes" She did offered to help me do the dishes and I told her "Noooooooooooooooooo!"

Anyways, she graduated Kindergarten....

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Nila wrote:Lately my DD left her cup on the table after her milk. When I told her to take the cup to the kitchen and leave it at the sink and her reaction was..."Why should I do all the work?" I was like..."Huh????...wait till I ask you to do the dishes" She did offered to help me do the dishes and I told her "Noooooooooooooooooo!"

Anyways, she graduated Kindergarten....

Hello Sasthi-Nila!

So nice to know- we share family-servanthood:) Congrats to your daughter!

You are so right about..akkas and ammas who just come to our house for helping us out (not sure what to call them!)  They are in great demand..and rightly demand high wages..I have no problem with that..if we can only separate them from their cell phones..they get a call a minute..have to say "Radhikakka koncham intha velai mudichittu phone pesuringala?"..it's funny!

How are you doing? Hope your summer is going well.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Maria, Thanks for asking I am doing great. Summer is yet to start for me...it will from July till first week of Sep. Signed up for so many classes and it will be fun for everyone. Making a presentation for the family...(Yay! We have family meetings!) with all the issues and plans. LOL

Again...my DD, (I have decided not to talk about DD much...getting tired of my dd is this and my dd is that....) When kids graduate its a happy and sad feel...

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Nila wrote:Hi Maria, Thanks for asking I am doing great. Summer is yet to start for me...it will from July till first week of Sep. Signed up for so many classes and it will be fun for everyone. Making a presentation for the family...(Yay! We have family meetings!) with all the issues and plans. LOL

Again...my DD, (I have decided not to talk about DD much...getting tired of my dd is this and my dd is that....) When kids graduate its a happy and sad feel...

Sasthi-Nila,

I see..so, it's later in the Summer..

Oh, Yes..one does have some mixed feelings as children grow and change, but, it's great..good luck with everything!

Good to know that you will be having family meetings and making presentations..I can relate to that too:)!
If one can make the family buy into plans and deal with issues (with some incentives..well, by any means necessary!)..it makes life easier!

Take care and have fun..spent a lot of time here today!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Marie - Take care and have a good rest of the day.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:so first names are not popular here i see.

scratch

obviously, first names are used when addressing them directly or when referring to them with people who know them. if a random person asks me how i manage my household chores, i say that i have a 'helper' or a 'maid' and don't see any reason to tell them their names, just like how i may say that my kids have a tennis coach or a piano teacher if questioned on those.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:>>The way to treat your servant is to treat them like a worker in a factory.

+1

reason is different though: the factory worker (in india) enjoys more rights than your domestic help does by law.
Agreed, a domestic help could take a week off without advance notice but still gets paid for whole month.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:23 pm

iTEDx wrote:

When I work on contract assignments (like paid help), the check after two weeks is my main concern after my sincere effort (in the job).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:25 am

Maria S wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Anyways, am done too.

Just curious..if someone asks you "who is that in your home?" How do you respond..if it's someone who works as a cook, driver, multi-tasking..since you don't like the "s" word..won't say that again!
Besides mentioning their name, I generally use the term housekeeper or say, "ivanga enga veeta gavanikkkaranga" in Tamil. Perhaps because I grew up in Madurai, the heart of Tamil culture in my opinion, I was taught early on to be respectful to older staff in our house. While my parents and grandparents addressed them by name, we kids called Velamma as Periaathaa (big mama) since her granddaughter called her that. Our driver was Balu Mama. We had to be respectful and used "vanga, ponga" in conversation. The only exception was a "edu pidi" (beck & call) lad who ran minor errands for the household using our bicycle. Conversely the staff also addressed us using "vanga ponga" although we were very young boys. Not sure if it was a Madurai thing.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Maria S wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Anyways, am done too.

Besides mentioning their name, I generally use the term housekeeper or say, "ivanga enga veeta gavanikkkaranga" in Tamil. Perhaps because I grew up in Madurai, the heart of Tamil culture in my opinion, I was taught early on to be respectful to older staff in our house. While my parents and grandparents addressed them by name, we kids called Velamma as Periaathaa (big mama) since her granddaughter called her that. Our driver was Balu Mama. We had to be respectful and used "vanga, ponga" in conversation. The only exception was a "edu pidi" (beck & call) lad who ran minor errands for the household using our bicycle. Conversely the staff also addressed us using "vanga ponga" although we were very young boys. Not sure if it was a Madurai thing.

>>> Was this reference t0 her size necessary? I thought the idea was to be kind to the help. What next, hints at a jenny craig diet? Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:03 am

Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Maria S wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Anyways, am done too.

>>> Was this reference t0 her size necessary? I thought the idea was to be kind to the help. What next, hints at a jenny craig diet? Smile
No. She was one old lean, mean woman! Her granddaughter used to address her as Periaathaa to imply mom's mom since Velamma didn't like to be called Paati!Wink

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:18 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Maria S wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

No. She was one old lean, mean woman! Her granddaughter used to address her as Periaathaa to imply mom's mom since Velamma didn't like to be called Paati!Wink
>>>>Okay, I didn't know if you were being unkind to her or lapsing into ebonics for some reason, there in the midst of sundara pandian's capital. It seemed a bit incongruous. Wink

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:46 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Maria S wrote:

Appreciate the explanation GC.

Oh..I think it's a tamil thing, well..simply good manners thing:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down