Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

curious cricket fact

5 posters

Go down

curious cricket fact Empty curious cricket fact

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:01 pm

when srikkanth scored the first of the only two tons he got in his test career, india had lost no wkts, yet he was congratulated on the field by l.sivaramakrishnan. why?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

curious cricket fact Empty Re: curious cricket fact

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:13 pm

First batsman from TN to score a test 100?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:15 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:First batsman from TN to score a test 100?

don't think you understood my question. india had lost no wkts. yet l.siva had a reason to be on the field at the time.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:16 pm

oh! he was his runner

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:18 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:oh! he was his runner

yup.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Didn't follow cricket in the 80's or early 90's. Surprised that Srikkanth had only two tons in his career. Why then is there so much hoopla over his batting?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Didn't follow cricket in the 80's or early 90's. Surprised that Srikkanth had only two tons in his career. Why then is there so much hoopla over his batting?

a) he was about the best opening partner gavaskar ever had. the rest weren't even as successful as srikkanth.
b) his swashbuckling style was better suited to ODIs.
c) that 1983 world cup win alone sealed the reputation of a lot of cricketers. srikkanth was one of them. he played a very short but what turned out to be an important opening knock in the final against west indies. how many people would remember balwinder singh sandhu if it wasn't for that banana in-swinger which bowled greenidge?
d) he also ended up captaining an indian team that was going through a period of terrible internal strife.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:46 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Didn't follow cricket in the 80's or early 90's. Surprised that Srikkanth had only two tons in his career. Why then is there so much hoopla over his batting?

He was an attacking batsman with a very unorthodox batting style. He had more success in ODIs, with 3-4 centuries and several scores in the 90s. For a time he was the highest run getter in ODIs for India with 4000 runs. He was a good fielder and occasionally an effective spin bowler too, winning a MOM award taking 5 wickets in a ODI.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:48 pm

you could say he was sehwag version 0.0. all hand-eye coordination and nearly zero technique.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

a) he was about the best opening partner gavaskar ever had. the rest weren't even as successful as srikkanth.
c) that 1983 world cup win alone sealed the reputation of a lot of cricketers. srikkanth was one of them. he played a very short but what turned out to be an important opening knock in the final against west indies. how many people would remember balwinder singh sandhu if it wasn't for that banana in-swinger which bowled greenidge?

Thanks. If you were to rate opening batsmen for India over the last 4 decades which 5 would be up top in the order besides Gavaskar and Tendulkar?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:51 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Thanks. If you were to rate opening batsmen for India over the last 4 decades which 5 would be up top in the order besides Gavaskar and Tendulkar?

Ravi Shastri

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:54 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

tendulkar only opened in ODIs regularly.

gavaskar, sehwag, gambhir, jaffer, and on the few occasions he did open, dravid.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 pm

gc you might enjoy watching this. my b-i-l sent me a link some time ago. hilarious!

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:gc you might enjoy watching this. my b-i-l sent me a link some time ago. hilarious!

I notice the interview is well over half an hour. Let me watch it at leisure and get back to you. Is Jaffer the same guy who plays in the Ranji's now and doing well? Why is he not playing in at least a few matches now?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:03 pm

i don't know. jaffer has been treated poorly by the selectors. just one of those things. he is technically correct and very solid. now there are too many youngsters to contend with. he is done.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:05 pm

i liked srikkanth the cricketer. not always successful, but always fearless, but i hated him as a selector. he is one of the most pusillanimous administrators of cricket. i am glad when his tenure as chief selector was over.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:19 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
tendulkar only opened in ODIs regularly.

gavaskar, sehwag, gambhir, jaffer, and on the few occasions he did open, dravid.

You missed one notable name, Sidhu. As for Chika, he revolutionized opening batsmen role on ODIs, his batting style in conjunction with ODI fielding rules made all the teams rethink/redefine their opening batsman's role.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:45 pm

i did miss sidhu. you are right about what srikkanth did in ODIs.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:gc you might enjoy watching this. my b-i-l sent me a link some time ago. hilarious!

Interesting how casually he says that the team never expected to win the World Cup in 1983. Even the wives, except his and Gavaskar's, went shopping instead of being in the stand to watch the finals! You probably will agree with him that Kapil Dev is the best all rounder India could ever have. I have seen only videos of ViV Richards bat. Srikkanth seems to consider him the best batsman ever. Was amused by his comparison of Kamal Hasan to Tendulkar and Rajnikanth to Sehwag. Quite a character this guy is.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:35 am

srikanth was the only cricketer who could scratch the insides of his nostrils successfully with gloves on.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Captain Bhankas wrote:srikanth was the only cricketer who could scratch the insides of his nostrils successfully with gloves on.
LOL! Similarly I have seen Tendulkar buckle his knees and use his gloved hand to adjust his groin protective cup every now and then. Many athletes have noticeable idiosyncratic mannerisms. For example, Nadal tugs on the back sleeve of his shorts as he gets ready to serve.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down