Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The N-word on the 4th of July

3 posters

Go down

The N-word on the 4th of July  Empty The N-word on the 4th of July

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:27 pm

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/04/the_n_word_on_the_4th_of_july/

Standing just ahead of me to board was a handsome, traditional nuclear family. The mom was tall and striking and she had two beautiful boys roughly around the ages of 10 and 7. For some reason, they became the intent subjects of my usual people-watching, as I boarded the flight. The mother was gently nagging the older boy about doing his summer reading and making sure his exercises were accessible on the flight.

As we boarded, I noticed that this mom and I would be sitting in the same row, I in the window seat, she in the center. As we sat awaiting takeoff, I finished a text conversation and signaled to the flight attendant for a seat-belt extender, a fat passenger’s best friend. Then just as the call came to shut our phones off, I glanced over at her, and she was still texting, rapidly. I caught a few words of the end of her text that made me look more intently: “on the plane, sitting thigh to thigh with a big fat nigger. Lucky me.”

My breath caught in my chest.

And then there was pain. Humiliation. Embarrassment. Anger.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

The N-word on the 4th of July  Empty Re: The N-word on the 4th of July

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Rishi wrote:
http://www.salon.com/2013/07/04/the_n_word_on_the_4th_of_july/

Standing just ahead of me to board was a handsome, traditional nuclear family. The mom was tall and striking and she had two beautiful boys roughly around the ages of 10 and 7. For some reason, they became the intent subjects of my usual people-watching, as I boarded the flight. The mother was gently nagging the older boy about doing his summer reading and making sure his exercises were accessible on the flight.

As we boarded, I noticed that this mom and I would be sitting in the same row, I in the window seat, she in the center. As we sat awaiting takeoff, I finished a text conversation and signaled to the flight attendant for a seat-belt extender, a fat passenger’s best friend. Then just as the call came to shut our phones off, I glanced over at her, and she was still texting, rapidly. I caught a few words of the end of her text that made me look more intently: “on the plane, sitting thigh to thigh with a big fat nigger. Lucky me.”

My breath caught in my chest.

And then there was pain. Humiliation. Embarrassment. Anger.

racism is alive and well and will never ever die. People just get better on putting on a drama and an act to hide their views. I have said it often and I say it again.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:39 pm

So no one cares about the fact that she took she was intensely scrutinizing this family before they even bordered the plane, eavesdropped on a personal/privation communication - and then proceeded to make it all about her hurt feelings.
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:43 pm

churi. wrote:So no one cares about the fact that she took she was intensely scrutinizing this family before they even bordered the plane, eavesdropped on a personal/privation communication - and then proceeded to make it all about her hurt feelings.

Snooping around never ever dies and people just become adept at putting on a innocent act of not snooping. I have said it often and I say it again. It is the woman's responsibility to take precaution, and if someone snoops around they have every right to snoop around in public.

p.s. perhaps someone should ask Obamulu about NSA snooping ....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down