Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quotes trivia

5 posters

Go down

Quotes trivia Empty Quotes trivia

Post by Idéfix Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:50 pm

This trivia set has a theme: famous quotes. For each of these, identify who said it. Extra credit for details like when, to whom, in what context, etc. All but the first two quotes are supposed to be the last words of the person who said it. 

1. In the original Italian: Eppur si muove. In English: "and yet it moves!"
  2. In the original Latin: Sic semper tyrannis. In English: "Thus always to tyrants."  
  3. The original words in an Indian language are not known. In English: "Everything in this world is ever-changing, and nothing lasts forever. Work hard for your own liberation!"
  4. "Jefferson lives!"
  5. In the original French: Pardonnez-moi, monsieur. Je ne l'ai pas fait exprès. In English: "Pardon me, sir. I did not do that on purpose." 
  6. In the original Latin: Acta est fabula, plaudite! In English: "The play is finished, applaud now!"
  7. In the original Greek: mè mou tous kuklous taratte (Μη μου τους κύκλους τάραττε). In English: "Don't disturb my circles!"
  8. "Is it the Fourth?"
  9. "Mozart! Mozart!"
  10. The original was in Greek. In English: "Crito, we owe a cock to Asclepius. Do pay it. Don't forget!" Asclepius is the Greek god of medicine. 
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Quotes trivia Empty Re: Quotes trivia

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:54 pm

3. Sounds like a quote by the Buddha.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Only #9 seems familiar to me: Salieri in the play Amadeus
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:25 pm

2. Et tu Brute!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:16 am

Idéfix wrote:This trivia set has a theme: famous quotes. For each of these, identify who said it. Extra credit for details like when, to whom, in what context, etc. All but the first two quotes are supposed to be the last words of the person who said it. 

2. In the original Latin: Sic semper tyrannis. In English: "Thus always to tyrants."  

3. The original words in an Indian language are not known. In English: "Everything in this world is ever-changing, and nothing lasts forever. Work hard for your own liberation!"

4. "Jefferson lives!"

5. In the original French: Pardonnez-moi, monsieur. Je ne l'ai pas fait exprès. In English: "Pardon me, sir. I did not do that on purpose." 

6. In the original Latin: Acta est fabula, plaudite! In English: "The play is finished, applaud now!"

7. In the original Greek: mè mou tous kuklous taratte (Μη μου τους κύκλους τάραττε). In English: "Don't disturb my circles!"

8. "Is it the Fourth?"

9. "Mozart! Mozart!"

10. The original was in Greek. In English: "Crito, we owe a cock to Asclepius. Do pay it. Don't forget!" Asclepius is the Greek god of medicine. 

10. Socrates

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:19 am

Idéfix wrote:This trivia set has a theme: famous quotes. For each of these, identify who said it. Extra credit for details like when, to whom, in what context, etc. All but the first two quotes are supposed to be the last words of the person who said it. 

4. "Jefferson lives!"

8. "Is it the Fourth?"

9. "Mozart! Mozart!"

3. Budha

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:54 am

[*]In the original Italian: Eppur si muove. In English: "and yet it moves!"

>>>Galileo to the Pope, after apologizing for saying the earth moves around the sun.

[*]The original words in an Indian language are not known. In English: "Everything in this world is ever-changing, and nothing lasts forever. Work hard for your own liberation!"

>>>>Buddha

[*]"Jefferson lives!"

>>>Adams?

[*]In the original Greek: mè mou tous kuklous taratte (Μη μου τους κύκλους τάραττε). In English: "Don't disturb my circles!"

>>>>Pythagoras?

[*]"Is it the Fourth?"

>>>Jefferson

[*]"Mozart! Mozart!"

>>>Antonio Salieri

[*]The original was in Greek. In English: "Crito, we owe a cock to Asclepius. Do pay it. Don't forget!" Asclepius is the Greek god of medicine. 

>>>Hippocrates

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Hellsangel wrote:3. Sounds like a quote by the Buddha.
Correct.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:43 pm

churi. wrote:Only #9 seems familiar to me: Salieri in the play Amadeus
Great guess, but no. This may be too obscure. But it is a famous composer from the late 19th century.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Hellsangel wrote:2. Et tu Brute!
Yes. It is said that Brutus said those words after stabbing Julius Caesar. John Wilkes Booth, who murdered Abraham Lincoln, also claims to have said those words after shooting Lincoln. Sic semper tyrannis is also the motto of the Commonwealth of Virginia. 
Quotes trivia 220px-Seal_of_Virginia.svg
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>Galileo to the Pope, after apologizing for saying the earth moves around the sun.
Correct! I believe it was to the Inquisition -- the Pope may have been on the "committee."

Kris wrote:
[*]The original words in an Indian language are not known. In English: "Everything in this world is ever-changing, and nothing lasts forever. Work hard for your own liberation!"

>>>>Buddha
Correct.

Kris wrote:
[*]"Jefferson lives!"

>>>Adams?
Correct. They both died on the same day, but Adams did not know about Jefferson's death.

Kris wrote:
[*]In the original Greek: mè mou tous kuklous taratte (Μη μου τους κύκλους τάραττε). In English: "Don't disturb my circles!"

>>>>Pythagoras?
Good guess, but no. It is a scientist who lived in Syracuse in Sicily, and is now famous for another Greek phrase. When Rome conquered Greek Syracuse, these were the words he said to a Roman soldier who ended up killing him.

Kris wrote:
[*]"Is it the Fourth?"

>>>Jefferson
Correct. He died on July 4, 1826, fifty years to the day the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Kris wrote:
[*]"Mozart! Mozart!"

>>>Antonio Salieri
Good guess, but no. This is not a contemporary of Mozart, but a 19th century who, like Mozart, made Vienna his home.

Kris wrote:
[*]The original was in Greek. In English: "Crito, we owe a cock to Asclepius. Do pay it. Don't forget!" Asclepius is the Greek god of medicine. 

>>>Hippocrates

Good guess, but no. The guy who said these words did not die a natural death.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Here is an update.

9. "Mozart! Mozart!"

Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Looked up the rest here:
http://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Last_words
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Idéfix wrote:Here is an update.

wild guess - zinadine zedan? (sp?)
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:17 am

>>>>Archimedes

>>>Leonidas?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:40 am

Idéfix wrote:
Kris wrote:

[*]Correct! I believe it was to the Inquisition -- the Pope may have been on the "committee."

Kris wrote:

>>>>Buddha
[*]

[*]Correct.

Kris wrote:
[*]"Jefferson lives!"

>>>Adams?
[*][*]

[*]Correct. They both died on the same day, but Adams did not know about Jefferson's death.

Kris wrote:

>>>>Pythagoras?
[*][*][*]

[*]Good guess, but no. It is a scientist who lived in Syracuse in Sicily, and is now famous for another Greek phrase. When Rome conquered Greek Syracuse, these were the words he said to a Roman soldier who ended up killing him.

Kris wrote:
[*]"Is it the Fourth?"

>>>Jefferson
[*][*][*][*]

[*]Correct. He died on July 4, 1826, fifty years to the day the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Kris wrote:
[*]"Mozart! Mozart!"

>>>Antonio Salieri
[*][*][*][*][*]

[*]Good guess, but no. This is not a contemporary of Mozart, but a 19th century who, like Mozart, made Vienna his home.

Kris wrote:

>>>Hippocrates

[*][*][*][*][*][*]

[*]Good guess, but no. The guy who said these words did not die a natural death.
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Here are the answers:

Answer: Galileo is supposed to have said this to the Holy Inquisition after recanting his theory that the earth, not the sun, moves.

Answer: The original phrase is part of a longer statement attributed to Brutus after the killing of Julius Caesar. John Wilkes Booth, who killed Abraham Lincoln, after the murder.

Answer: This is the meaning of the Buddha's last words uttered in Pali.

4. "Jefferson lives!"

Answer: Last words of John Adams.

Answer: Last words of Marie Antoinette. She was talking about stepping on someone's foot, but her words are remembered as a broader statement about Bourboun excesses.

Answer: Last words of Augustus Caesar. The phrase was in common use at the end of theater performances in ancient Rome.

Answer: Last words of Archimedes, before he was killed by a Roman soldier.

8. "Is it the Fourth?"

Answer: Last words of Thomas Jefferson.

9. "Mozart! Mozart!"

Answer: Last words of Gustav Mahler.

Answer: Last words of Socrates.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down