Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women.

+2
Idéfix
Rishi
6 posters

Go down

Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women. Empty Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women.

Post by Rishi Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Inequality is a fact of life, but the desire to be rich, impossibly rich, to lead a life of immense comfort that would allow a culture, a kind of culture to prosper, books to be written, music to be composed, science to be conducted – is not promoting inequality, it is building an empire. Perversely, it was an incorrect and convenient interpretation of one of science’s unshakable axioms that allowed empires to be built – Darwinism; that if one has the means to kill or conquer, one should go right ahead, that man sits at the top of the pyramid of life. And not just man, but a particular mutant of man, a white man. For, in actuality, what is skin colour but a mutation, an adaptation to a particular environment?

Empires necessitated a slow percolation of racism to the subconscious, so that even the congenial and the sympathetic were programmed not to disrupt the status quo that was ultimately rewarding to them and their race. Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women. They prospered because their nations allowed them quietly to prosper at the expense of a mind-crushing vacuum that was forced upon all subjugated lands. They helped peddle this vicious cycle. Every invention, every new thought, new idea, was touted as a natural result of an advanced mind, an advanced civilisation at work, spurring the notion of superiority that ultimately rusted their Arab spring.

http://www.newslaundry.com/2013/07/mandela-never-let-him-go/

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women. Empty Re: Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women.

Post by Idéfix Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Newton, really? The guy died before the overseas colonies became big money spinners for the English.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women. Empty Re: Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women.

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Idéfix wrote:Newton, really? The guy died before the overseas colonies became big money spinners for the English.

..read what Wiki mamaa says about 16th century colonialism of the English.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Idéfix wrote:Newton, really? The guy died before the overseas colonies became big money spinners for the English.

http://www.google.com/search?q=when+did+newton+die%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Author of The Land of the Wilted Rose, of the The White Mahatma Quartet, Anand Ranganathan studied Chemistry at St. Stephen’s College, Delhi, and went on to pursue a doctorate from Cambridge. A man of varied interests, he is researching dengue and tuberculosis at the International Center of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology at Delhi.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Rishi wrote:Inequality is a fact of life, but the desire to be rich, impossibly rich, to lead a life of immense comfort that would allow a culture, a kind of culture to prosper, books to be written, music to be composed, science to be conducted – is not promoting inequality, it is building an empire. Perversely, it was an incorrect and convenient interpretation of one of science’s unshakable axioms that allowed empires to be built – Darwinism; that if one has the means to kill or conquer, one should go right ahead, that man sits at the top of the pyramid of life. And not just man, but a particular mutant of man, a white man. For, in actuality, what is skin colour but a mutation, an adaptation to a particular environment?

Empires necessitated a slow percolation of racism to the subconscious, so that even the congenial and the sympathetic were programmed not to disrupt the status quo that was ultimately rewarding to them and their race. Newton, Dirac, Curie, Focault stood not on the shoulders of giants in order to see further. They stood on the dead bodies of millions of coloured men and women. They prospered because their nations allowed them quietly to prosper at the expense of a mind-crushing vacuum that was forced upon all subjugated lands. They helped peddle this vicious cycle. Every invention, every new thought, new idea, was touted as a natural result of an advanced mind, an advanced civilisation at work, spurring the notion of superiority that ultimately rusted their Arab spring.

>>>>What is really mind-numbing is the ease with which power over oneself is conceded to someone else. A quick story:

X says to Y:

"You know you are inferior to me."

Y responds (pick one):

1) "Get lost, you jackass! Who gives a crap what you think..."

2) "You really think so? Hmm, maybe there is something to what you say, but then again, I am hurt. I will never measure up to what you expect of me. I have become victimized by you. Come to think of it, I will spread this message and also repeatedly tell myself this and write articles about this. After all, I have no sense of self than how you perceive me."

Which of these Y's do you think will get the girl/ the promotion/maybe even the boss whom X reports to a few years from now? Think about it or answer from your own observations.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:12 pm

Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:Inequality is a fact of life, but the desire to be rich, impossibly rich, to lead a life of immense comfort that would allow a culture, a kind of culture to prosper, books to be written, music to be composed, science to be conducted – is not promoting inequality, it is building an empire. Perversely, it was an incorrect and convenient interpretation of one of science’s unshakable axioms that allowed empires to be built – Darwinism; that if one has the means to kill or conquer, one should go right ahead, that man sits at the top of the pyramid of life. And not just man, but a particular mutant of man, a white man. For, in actuality, what is skin colour but a mutation, an adaptation to a particular environment?

>>>>What is really mind-numbing is the ease with which power over oneself is conceded to someone else. A quick story:

X says to Y:

Y responds (pick one):

2) "You really think so? Hmm, maybe there is something to what you say, but then again, I am hurt.  I will never measure up to what you expect of me. I have become victimized by you. Come to think of it, I will spread this message and also repeatedly tell myself this and write articles about this. After all, I have no sense of self than how you perceive me."

Which of these Y's do you think will get the girl/ the promotion/maybe even the boss whom X reports to a few years from now? Think about it or answer from your own observations.

Kris,

I guess you are addressing the question to me.

I posted the article because, the author of the article who has a Ph.D in science from Cambridge was making a statement about Newton and other European scientists which I thought was interesting. The article was about Mandela and the system of  apartheid which ceratainly oppressed the Blacks. Years of oppression by one group over the other has deep psychological effects for both groups.

What you have pointed out is a different situation. Y's response "Get lost, you jackass! Who gives a crap what you think..." is possible today only because of the struggles and protests led by people like MLK and Mandela.

Sometime in 1940s, the Indian scientist S. Chandrasekhar had an assignment at a research center at Aberdeen Proving grounds in MD. He presented his papers at the gate. The security guard told him "Blackie, you will have to wait."  Chandra did not say anything. Do you think any Indian would have told the security guard to shut up?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:03 am

Rishi wrote:
Kris wrote:

X says to Y:

Y responds (pick one):

2) "You really think so? Hmm, maybe there is something to what you say, but then again, I am hurt.  I will never measure up to what you expect of me. I have become victimized by you. Come to think of it, I will spread this message and also repeatedly tell myself this and write articles about this. After all, I have no sense of self than how you perceive me."

Kris,

I guess you are addressing the question to me.

I posted the article because, the author of the article who has a Ph.D in science from Cambridge was making a statement about Newton and other European scientists which I thought was interesting. The article was about Mandela and the system of  apartheid which ceratainly oppressed the Blacks. Years of oppression by one group over the other has deep psychological effects for both groups.

What you have pointed out is a different situation. Y's response "Get lost, you jackass! Who gives a crap what you think..." is possible today only because of the struggles and protests led by people like MLK and Mandela.

Sometime in 1940s, the Indian scientist S. Chandrasekhar had an assignment at a research center at Aberdeen Proving grounds in MD. He presented his papers at the gate. The security guard told him "Blackie, you will have to wait."  Chandra did not say anything. Do you think any Indian would have told the security guard to shut up?

>>>In a figurative sense, Chandra did exactly that. He went on to Univ of Chicago to do great work, is celebrated as a world renowned scientist and is a nobel prize winner. If he had followed the victim's model, he would have gone to his grave despairing over some fool calling him some name. The MLK and Mandela model and benefits do not apply across the board to everyone. This is what the professional victims would like everyone to believe, as it strengthens their hand. Probably the only incident that I can recall having happened to me was when a friend (somewhat) once made a comment about some affirmative action benefit I may qualify for. This was said with at least some malice, since he know Indians were not big beneficiaries of these. My response was 'seriously brian? you know I can kick your a** at anything. why do i need special benefits, man?' My response was not because of mlk or mandela ( with due respect to their sacrifices). It was rather due to knowing my strengths and my father who pretty much would have disowned us if we aspired for something we didn't earn. Lastly, the X I cited may be an individual or may be a civilization. Neither individuals nor societies are frozen in time. The Brits bullied China into giving them Hong Kong. 99 years later, did you hear a peep from them when the lease was up?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:11 am

Rishi wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?q=when+did+newton+die%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs
I knew that Newton died in the early 18th century when I wrote that. At that time, England had no empire on the subcontinent, and its empire in North America was smaller than France's empire in North America. The real imperial power of the time was Spain.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Kris wrote: The Brits bullied China into giving them Hong Kong. 99 years later, did you hear a peep from them when the lease was up?        

Actually Hong Kong is not such a simple story. The real story is about the New Territories, that the lease was up on. Kowlooon and Hong Kong island were ceded to Britain which they could have held on to. If they returned NT to China, they would have split Hong Kong in two with the bulk of infrastructure in NT. So rather than deal with that, they gave up Hong Kong, lock stock and barrel. They were just being pragmatic. Look at Gibraltar or the Falklands for the flip side.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:38 pm

actually, this famous quote i gather, originated from Newton when he made the tongue-in-cheek comment that 'if i have seen farther, it's by standing on the shoulders of giants' as the president of the royal society at that time  was relatively short in stature, never liked Newton - no surprise there!  not sure, it was Cook- and used to put him down or ignore him all the time;  this was a great opportunity for  Newton to get even with him. Nevertheless, the ïf in the '' íf i have seen...'' itself is shocking as newton is not known to be a modest man who needed lots of gravity;)

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 pm

garam_kuta wrote:actually, this famous quote i gather, originated from Newton when he made the tongue-in-cheek comment that 'if i have seen farther, it's by standing on the shoulders of giants' as the president of the royal society at that time  was relatively short in stature, never liked Newton - no surprise there!  not sure, it was Cook- and used to put him down or ignore him all the time;  this was a great opportunity for  Newton to get even with him. Nevertheless, the ïf in the '' íf i have seen...'' itself is shocking as newton is not known to be a modest man who needed lots of gravity;)

I think you are referring to Robert Hooke. Remember the Hooke's law?

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100516224919AAqgR5K

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:17 am

Rishi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:actually, this famous quote i gather, originated from Newton when he made the tongue-in-cheek comment that 'if i have seen farther, it's by standing on the shoulders of giants' as the president of the royal society at that time  was relatively short in stature, never liked Newton - no surprise there!  not sure, it was Cook- and used to put him down or ignore him all the time;  this was a great opportunity for  Newton to get even with him. Nevertheless, the ïf in the '' íf i have seen...'' itself is shocking as newton is not known to be a modest man who needed lots of gravity;)

I think you are referring to Robert Hooke. Remember the Hooke's law?

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100516224919AAqgR5K

yeah.. more likely..this was a story i heard from someone long time back..if it was robert hooke, he needed the spring extension to gain some height, huh?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down