Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mera naam salma

3 posters

Go down

Mera naam salma Empty Mera naam salma

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:21 am

No idea why the heck this song been playing in my head since morning. Anyway...

Back to top Go down

Mera naam salma Empty Re: Mera naam salma

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 am

Vidya Bagchi, wrote:No idea why the heck this song been playing in my head since morning. Anyway...

hahaha, all the women dancing in the video are kishTiangirls, i.e. skirt-wearing girls showing their bare legs, therefore, anglo-indian or goan extras. in those days, sari-or lehnga-clad hindu girls of northindia didn't dance with men, but danced only by themselves or with other women, to entertain the emperor or his modern-day surrogate in the harem, frequently singing, "ya allah."

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:34 am

Jebediah Mburuburu wrote:
Vidya Bagchi, wrote:No idea why the heck this song been playing in my head since morning. Anyway...

hahaha, all the women dancing in the video are kishTiangirls, i.e. skirt-wearing girls showing their bare legs, therefore, anglo-indian or goan extras. in those days, sari-or lehnga-clad hindu girls of northindia didn't dance with men, but danced only by themselves or with other women, to entertain the emperor or his modern-day surrogate in the harem, frequently singing, "ya allah."

JM,

You yourself agree that the Muslims had enslaved NI hindus and oppressed them for centuries and forced Hindu women to sexual slavery in harems.

Then why this hatred towards NI hindus?

Your blaming NI hindus for allowing themselves to be conquered and enslaved by Muslims is very similar to some right wing whites blaming blacks for allowing themselves to be enslaved by whites.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 am

Rishi wrote:

JM,

You yourself agree that the Muslims had enslaved NI hindus and oppressed them for centuries and forced Hindu women to sexual slavery in harems.

Your blaming NI hindus for allowing themselves to be conquered and enslaved by Muslims is very similar to some right wing whites blaming blacks for allowing themselves to be enslaved by whites.

"You yourself agree that the Muslims had enslaved NI hindus and oppressed them for centuries and forced Hindu women to sexual slavery in harems." -- rishi.

i don't "agree that the Muslims" did all or any of that. those who conquered and enslaved the northindians were invading tribes from foreign lands - afghanistan, central asia, etc. - who happened to be muslims. they did to the northindians what any invading tribe would do to weak, unorganized, and incompetent people anywhere, over a thousand years ago when there was no republic of india.

"Then why this hatred towards NI hindus?" -- rishi.

since about the mid 1700s, there has not been strong muslim rule over any significant part of india. more than three centuries later, still in a struggle to redeem themselves from the humiliation their forefathers had suffered, northindian hindus are battling indian muslims wherever they can, violating the law and democratic principles. they don't seem to understand that history cannot be changed, that indian muslims, who are equal citizens of india, are not oppressing them, and that their battles against "the muslims" are scarring and trashing a free and democratic india.

worse still, these uncivil northindian hindus, wanting to subdue others as they were once subdued by the invading tribes, have tried, and still try to oppress those who are unlike them in their language and customs. not surprisingly, they have failed in every instance, and in the process, harmed themselves, and turned their region into economically and socially backward areas where no one wants to live.

after all this, the northindian hindu's - observe bagchi and others here - culture, literature, and art are legacies of the muslims who ruled india. they live a double life, hating indian muslims and reveling in muslim culture.

it wouldn't be surprising if i despised the average northindian hindu, but i don't. contempt is another matter.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:24 am

JM, how is the NI Hindus' psyche any different from any other colonized people's repressed or misdirected anger? And what explains the difference in their attitudes towards the British as compared to Muslims?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:30 am

Rishi wrote:

JM,

"You yourself agree that the Muslims had enslaved NI hindus and oppressed them for centuries and forced Hindu women to sexual slavery in harems." -- rishi.

i don't "agree that the Muslims" did all or any of that. those who conquered and enslaved the northindians were invading tribes from foreign lands - afghanistan, central asia, etc. - who happened to be muslims. they did to the northindians what any invading tribe would do to weak, unorganized, and incompetent people anywhere, over a thousand years ago when there was no republic of india.

"Then why this hatred towards NI hindus?" -- rishi.

since about the mid 1700s, there has not been strong muslim rule over any significant part of india. more than three centuries later, still in a struggle to redeem themselves from the humiliation their forefathers had suffered, northindian hindus are battling indian muslims wherever they can, violating the law and democratic principles. they don't seem to understand that history cannot be changed, that indian muslims, who are equal citizens of india, are not oppressing them, and that their battles against "the muslims" are scarring and trashing a free and democratic india.

worse still, these uncivil northindian hindus, wanting to subdue others as they were once subdued by the invading tribes, have tried, and still try to oppress those who are unlike them in their language and customs. not surprisingly, they have failed in every instance, and in the process, harmed themselves, and turned their region into economically and socially backward areas where no one wants to live.

after all this, the northindian hindu's - observe bagchi and others here - culture, literature, and art are legacies of the muslims who ruled india. they live a double life, hating indian muslims and reveling in muslim culture.

it wouldn't be surprising if i despised the average northindian hindu, but i don't. contempt is another matter.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/despise
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/contempt

Looks like being contemptuous is not different from despising someone.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:32 am

I did not check out the dictionary...contempt is reserved for those in lower stations. Despising is something you do with equals and opposites.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down