Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Brand IIT broken?

2 posters

Go down

Is Brand IIT broken? Empty Is Brand IIT broken?

Post by Rishi Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:30 pm

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/brand-iit-losing-sheen/1/194169.html

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Is Brand IIT broken? Empty Re: Is Brand IIT broken?

Post by Rishi Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 pm

"We are getting good students. Whether we are getting the best students is difficult to say in an elimination exam with this ratio. Somebody who is very good but didn't get coaching and didn't know the strategy of time management may lose out to somebody who does not have that spark. It could be matter of a few marks," Ramamurthi, the IIT Madras director, acknowledges, and hastens to add, "If I have gone for coaching, I am taught how to decide when a question is beyond my capability and move on. But the instinct of any bright student is to 'let me take this up and do it'. He may waste too much time on a question."

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Rishi wrote:"We are getting good students. Whether we are getting the best students is difficult to say in an elimination exam with this ratio. Somebody who is very good but didn't get coaching and didn't know the strategy of time management may lose out to somebody who does not have that spark. It could be matter of a few marks," Ramamurthi, the IIT Madras director, acknowledges, and hastens to add, "If I have gone for coaching, I am taught how to decide when a question is beyond my capability and move on. But the instinct of any bright student is to 'let me take this up and do it'. He may waste too much time on a question."  

I am with him. My thoughts exactly.... Exam tests not just knowledge, but also timing, guesswork, rote-training, environment, and the day of reckoning....but intelligence? - I doubt an exam will test that.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down