Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

phone stolen

+4
charvaka
Hellsangel
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
doofus_maximus
8 posters

Go down

phone stolen Empty phone stolen

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:06 am

stupid mexicans.. or are they cubans in FL?

anyhoos... I did report it lost/stolen the very next morning and they deactivated the service. But got all spooked out today by people. Changed all the email passwords. Changed the userid/password of all bank accounts.

What else can they access..

PS: Why is this font so big? Or is it my personal settings.

Back to top Go down

phone stolen Empty Re: phone stolen

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 am

did you have an iphone tracking app installed. It works very well.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:15 am

doofus_maximus wrote:did you have an iphone tracking app installed. It works very well.

no I didn't.. and don't think that would have helped coz the mofo turned it off right away. Stupid tanned short bald headed mexican... kept serving on my table even after stealing the phone from right behind my back.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 am

some apps let you switch on the phone remotely. I have one for my android called Prey..
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:25 am

doofus_maximus wrote:some apps let you switch on the phone remotely. I have one for my android called Prey..

doing that right now. going back to my old iphone3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:14 am

Your retirement accounts?

Mortgage account (important - call and check them)

car payment (?)

can they send fake email to others?

(Finally make sure you change password/email to your secret lover's email account....)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

What is it about theme parks and cell phones? Every time I seem to hear of a lost or damaged phone at a theme park.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

this is bad news. slowly but surely losing a phone is becoming like losing a wallet and more! i have to backup my contacts to my pc. good reminder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am

It wasn't in a theme park. It was in a high end italian restaurant. Partly my mistake. I was kinda in some zone that night, we were a big group, the tables were congested. I decided to clear out a bit, and move all the [black] menus to the other [discarded] table. I actually told the little kids (boys), to place them there (I am sure if it was my daughter, she would have spotted it, she has an eagle's eye). I even SAW something rectangular black thing that was not letting the menus stack evenly, but I thought this must be some flap on the menu. The waiter came right up to clean it, I even handed him the other appetizer plates. 10 minutes later, I looked for my iphone.. hubster called it and it went straight to the v. mail. Knew it then that it was gone. I troubled the manager for about 20 minutes, he even went to the extent of making waiters check their deep apron pockets. At that time, I wasn't able to remember who the waiter was. 2-3 waiters kept asking me to describe him, but I could not, for the life of me, remember his face. The manager, if he could have, would have kicked me out, that's how frustrated he had become of me shadowing him e'where. Then I came back, and when I was eating dessert, that waiter came back to clean the other table. looked pretty suspicious to me. My sister and husband could have strangled me when I began chatting with that mexican looking for clues of guilt.

Anyways, there was no way I could have gone back to the manager again. The phone is gone. And today, in my own bed, I woke up with a mini sweaty nightmare rethinking that whole nights events, as more and more scenes come up to my memory. I am sure I am going to get more panic attacks about the same for quite some while. This kinda stuff doesn't happen to me, and when it does, I take it very hard.

Last edited by Tracy Whitney on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:this is bad news. slowly but surely losing a phone is becoming like losing a wallet and more! i have to backup my contacts to my pc. good reminder.

and, better another version on a rolodex.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:40 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Your retirement accounts?

Mortgage account (important - call and check them)

car payment (?)

can they send fake email to others?

(Finally make sure you change password/email to your secret lover's email account....)

Am hearing two things... luckily I had password protected my phone. People say if they do jail break, they would need to reformat the phone, and hence can't access any cached info. The att lady said that if there are too many incorrect password attempts, the phone cleans itself out. Never heard this one before.

The manager kept insisting that it may have fallen and turned itself off and said that it has happened to him often. Nopes.. I am the queen of dropping phones, it has never turned off on me before. His other theory was that some guest picked it on the way out... sure, guests who pay 200+ for a single meal will swipe an iphone, sure.

But then, pretty much all the waiters there had a smart phone. Not sure what to make of this. All I can keep thinking is, that I SAW THE DAMNED THING WHILE PUTTING IT AWAY, and I didn't see it.

Sis was tryign to say - this was to happen. Consider it 'bala gayi'. And I am beggining to think that too. I am not having such a great time since I got that in middle of January... will see how my luck fairs out now.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Sis was tryign to say - this was to happen. Consider it 'bala gayi'. And I am beggining to think that too. I am not having such a great time since I got that in middle of January... will see how my luck fairs out now.
God is trying to tell you something... and you are not listening.

Android. Android. Android. Android. Android. Android.

PS: The forum survived your vacation, thereby passing the final test. It is here to stay.

PPS: Sorry to hear that you lost your phone. Go get an Android now. If you are on AT&T: Motorola Atrix.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 pm

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:Sis was tryign to say - this was to happen. Consider it 'bala gayi'. And I am beggining to think that too. I am not having such a great time since I got that in middle of January... will see how my luck fairs out now.
God is trying to tell you something... and you are not listening.

Android. Android. Android. Android. Android. Android.

PPS: Sorry to hear that you lost your phone. Go get an Android now. If you are on AT&T: Motorola Atrix.

hahaha... options options... iphone 4S, iphone 5 with/without 4G, iphone over verizon, and others.... depends how much longer I wish to wait. I was even feeling tempted to change my phone number, as I am the only one with a north jersey number, while we have always lived in central.

Since we have been on ATT plan over 2 years, we can break it any time w/o penalty. Guess we will move enmasse to verizon, and then maybe still stick with iPhone. Daughter is way too hooked to iTunes. The same software/downloads can be shared on her nano/iTouch, etc. Rest of the family is into Apple too.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:43 pm

If you move to Verizon, wait until September... iPhone with LTE will be a lot better than the iPhone they have now on VZW. LTE speed is really amazing, and it's great for watching videos on your long commute.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:54 pm

charvaka wrote:If you move to Verizon, wait until September... iPhone with LTE will be a lot better than the iPhone they have now on VZW. LTE speed is really amazing, and it's great for watching videos on your long commute.

ya apple will come up with OS 5 and LTE sometime in 2012... let's see how much I can hold out on iPhone 3.. already feels like a step back. I am due for an upgrade in Fall. Will decide then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:this is bad news. slowly but surely losing a phone is becoming like losing a wallet and more! i have to backup my contacts to my pc. good reminder.

and, better another version on a rolodex.

uppili you are a scaremonger. you are not an ALTG or SPTG personalty. you are a scaremonger personality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:23 pm

O-o! this person can now access ur microwave oven ! n we all know wat that can accomplish. u shud be scared, very scared huahahaha!

how was ur trip if we dont consider losing phone?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:42 pm

seven wrote:O-o! this person can now access ur microwave oven ! n we all know wat that can accomplish. u shud be scared, very scared huahahaha!

how was ur trip if we dont consider losing phone?

The trip was funnnn... had rented a house in some resort with a small pool in the back that the kids loved. We covered Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and the two parks of Universal. Got a little unfortunate in covering Epcot, missed the main rides, but the other three were done very well. This was my first visit to Universal's Island of Adventure, which I now think is a new must in Orlando visit. Specially the Harry Potter and Spiderman ride. The water rides were fun too.

And we spent the last day in the Premium Outlets. I had gone in thinking I don't need to shop anything. But I ended up buying new sunglasses (and got one free for bro), 3 tops, and a new handbag. Perfumes for the kids, and 3-4 tops for daughter. Actually we all ended up coming out with extra bags for carrying into the plane.

Having serious withdrawals today. Woke up disoriented. While walking to the train, I kept thinking I am too alone and light. No bags/water/maps in the hand. Kept waiting for a little hand to come from either side and hold my hand. Or someone to catch up with me and walk along.

Also, am a little under the weather today.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Thot I should share this...

3 years ago (was it 4? I do not know). Driving BV and kid to doctor appt, put the phone on car engine top, to make sure it is visible ;-) and went up to get something. Forgot all about phone and started driving. THUD. BV heard it and ignored because there was a road cleaner on our back and they were vacuuming the entire road with big trucks. Really big trucks.

Kept driving for 3 more miles and suddenly, where is my phone? Wow, was that thud my phone? Went back, the trucks gone, the road clean and the phone gone - to where who knows!

Came back from dr appt, kept walking up and down the road again and again but no good. Logged in and sent message to my phone from AOL text service, free of course. The message was, I lost phone, if you find it, please call this home number. Reward offered. Call phone company and deactivated it.

Entire day ruined and went to bed almost crying and cursing myself, life and everyone in general. :-) 11 PM. The phone rang. The voice asking me.. did you lose so and so phone at so and so junction? Yes sir. I found it and if you want it, please come to that junction now.

I went in with a packet of sone papdi sweets I had at home. The guy comes out and tells me that while he and his wife was walking in the evening they found this fone in the grass with light ON and blinking. He took it home and did not know how to operate. Came inside from the house, the 8 year old angel who opened and saw my message and gave the number to dad.

Turned out that the phone was scatched by the vaccumm cleaners tossed about and thrown into the grass. The leather cover was sucked into the vacuum or somehow lost. The phone miraculously was alive and after a good clean up (by myself of course with rubbing alcohol), started working fine. Very ruggid I thought.

I used it for 2 more years until recently when I bought another Android Phone. It was an amazing experience to have lost phone into a huge vacuum sucker and yet got it and it worked fine for 2 years.

Lesson2 learned:
1. Do not ever put phone anywhere except your own pocket even if it is uncomfortable and tight and you cannot sit.
2. Florida hotels are full of goons (I went to desi restaurant and it was awful and they cheated but let us not get into that). It was 7 years ago.
3. Once phone is lost, take it from me, you have to me 50000% lukcy to get it back; rest assured you would not get back.
4. Do not ever use phone for bank accounts etc. Use it for what it is intended. P-H-O-N-E.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Aww.. your microwave is lost? Caru should mourn the loss..
I threw my phone in trash once- kept ringing but no one would pick up. After three days, when it didn't grow feet and return to me, I just got a new one. Otherwise in CA, people don't care about your microwave much. They might brew a cup of coffee while they own it, but still, you get it back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:33 pm

taz, I myself have been lucky with getting back lost things.

1) Dropped my wallet while running for train in the parking lot. Funny part is, I didn't even realized it when someone emailed me (on the email on my company's biz card), and then mailed it back to me. Fully intact.

2) Left my purse in the shopping cart after shopping. Realized the moment I was backing the car. It was gone from the carts, but someone had turned it in lost and found. Fully intact.

My husband, in fact is the king of lost/stolen/damaged phones/blackberries. The only things that I have lost and never recovered are 1) my wedding ring - lost by daughter when she was 2. and 2) this iPhone.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm happy to report that I've never lost anything either. It is especially significant because I spent the better part of the day today, close to 3 hours, searching for my certificates and diploma. I even turned the pantry upside down.

Yeah, I did think it was signal from God to just quit it and take it easy.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:28 pm

i lose a lot of things but always get the important ones back. once I lost a diamond ring at the jwellery section of Shopper's Stop...didnt even realize it until the next morning and I had spent the previous day shopping for angoothis for my newly wed bhabhi and a recently wed friend. Called all the jwellery shops I had been to and other places we shopped, ate etc. well long story short some girl found my ring at the counter after i left and i got it back. and they didnt even accept any rewards from us!

Last edited by seven on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Talking about lost phones, here is my lost phone story. We were in Hawaii over the new year holidays with my s-i-l. We spent a few night each on three sides of the great island of Maui. When we were finished with one side of the island and started driving, s-i-l realized she doesn't have her phone any more. We tried looking, called the restaurant, hotel, Starbucks, and a bunch of other places we spent time at. And kept calling her cell. All her contacts were on her phone with no backup at all. Finally someone answered, and told us to drive to the Walmart on the other end of town to pick it up. She was so relieved to get her phone back.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Tiana wrote:Aww.. your microwave is lost? Caru should mourn the loss..
I threw my phone in trash once- kept ringing but no one would pick up. After three days, when it didn't grow feet and return to me, I just got a new one. Otherwise in CA, people don't care about your microwave much. They might brew a cup of coffee while they own it, but still, you get it back.

I guess they all are busy selling phony DLs & GCs on Alvarado street, oh! forgot Pasadena is a posh town has no influence of LA

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:27 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Tiana wrote:Aww.. your microwave is lost? Caru should mourn the loss..

I guess they all are busy selling phony DLs & GCs on Alvarado street, oh! forgot Pasadena is a posh town has no influence of LA

Double Aww.. you remembered things that I forgot :-) I can't even list my last three addresses without my reference sheet.
Really, try it at any Pasadena restaurants, or even in bay area. It will come back to you.
LA.. I thought they are after your camry, what would they do with a trackable iphone?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Happens to few people! I wish that I get a chain like tag for my iphone...but idc about bb - it is office phone.

Anyways, the sappy itunes might have your data? no?

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down