Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama: ‘Trayvon Martin could have been me’

+9
truthbetold
Idéfix
bw
Kris
goodcitizn
pravalika nanda
southindian
Hellsangel
confuzzled dude
13 posters

Go down

Obama: ‘Trayvon Martin could have been me’ Empty Obama: ‘Trayvon Martin could have been me’

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:49 pm

“Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago,” Obama said in extensive remarks that were deeply personal and reflective. “And when you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that — that doesn’t go away.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/07/19/obama-on-trayvon-martin-historical-context-important/?hpid=z1

-> Posting this here, as HA may not find this on Fox Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Obama: ‘Trayvon Martin could have been me’ Empty Re: Obama: ‘Trayvon Martin could have been me’

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Sorry. Found it way before you posted it and was discussing it with someone:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/19/obama-addresses-trayvon-martin-case-in-briefing-room/
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Obama: ‘Trayvon Martin could have been me’ Empty Re: Obama: ‘Trayvon Martin could have been me’

Post by southindian Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Sorry. Found it way before you posted it and was discussing it with someone:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/19/obama-addresses-trayvon-martin-case-in-briefing-room/
I'd call it damage control before the next elections. Need to keep the electorate in the barn.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:21 pm

southindian wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Sorry. Found it way before you posted it and was discussing it with someone:

I'd call it damage control before the next elections. Need to keep the electorate in the barn.

What damage control!

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:“Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago,” Obama said in extensive remarks that were deeply personal and reflective. “And when you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that — that doesn’t go away.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/07/19/obama-on-trayvon-martin-historical-context-important/?hpid=z1

** Not sure why he thought to make that speech (apparently he did it w/o a tele-prompter). And how could he, the son of a white banker be anything like Travyon Martin? Do you think he's going to lose the support of Hispanics? They did a poll several years ago and found that Hispanics were more distrustful and suspicious of African Americans than any other group of Americans. And I think that's why Zimmerman followed TM.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:“Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago,” Obama said in extensive remarks that were deeply personal and reflective. “And when you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that — that doesn’t go away.”

** Not sure why he thought to make that speech (apparently he did it w/o a tele-prompter). And how could he, the son of a white banker be anything like Travyon Martin? Do you think he's going to lose the support of Hispanics? They did a poll several years ago and found that Hispanics were more distrustful and suspicious of African Americans than any other group of Americans. And I think that's why Zimmerman followed TM.
Obama is not the son of a white banker. His father was a black Kenyan gevernment economist.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Obama is not the son of a white banker. His father was a black Kenyan gevernment economist.

She meant his mother.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:01 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

She meant his mother.
I thought his mother was an anthropologist who taught English in Indonesia and later served as an economic consultant. Regardless Obama seems to consider himself an African American and so do most if not all Americans.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:16 am

>>>>I agree with the bolded part above. I don't blame them for being distrustful of the system.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:29 am

Kris wrote:

>>>>I agree with the bolded part above. I don't blame them for being distrustful of the system.
I also think that there is some merit to the argument that if the kid had been white wearing the same exact clothing and looking at houses as he walked by, Zimmerman would not have called 911 or followed him. Seems like he automatically assumed that african americans were trespassers in that gated community. I haven't read anything about how many black families reside there either.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:56 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:

I also think that there is some merit to the argument that if the kid had been white wearing the same exact clothing and looking at houses as he walked by, Zimmerman would not have called 911 or followed him. Seems like he automatically assumed that african americans were trespassers in that gated community. I haven't read anything about how many black families reside there either.

i have been watching the series "eyes on the prize" with my kids. it is quite shocking how bad things were in the southern states just 50 years ago!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:00 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:

i have been watching the series "eyes on the prize" with my kids. it is quite shocking how bad things were in the southern states just 50 years ago!
Eyes on the Prize is a fantastic series. I just got it on DVD last month and watched it again. I hope they show it to all schoolchildren in this country. When I watch the footage of SNCC's lunch counter protests and compare that to the America that I experience, I am struck by how much has changed. And then cases like this -- and the one about the Oscar Grant shooting -- remind me what has not changed.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 am

Idéfix wrote:
bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:

Eyes on the Prize is a fantastic series. I just got it on DVD last month and watched it again. I hope they show it to all schoolchildren in this country. When I watch the footage of SNCC's lunch counter protests and compare that to the America that I experience, I am struck by how much has changed. And then cases like this -- and the one about the Oscar Grant shooting -- remind me what has not changed.

we watched the episode covering the lunch counter sit-ins and freedom riders just yesterday - it is hard for a society to completely get rid of its prejudices in 50 years.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:31 am

bw wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Kris wrote:

we watched the episode covering the lunch counter sit-ins and freedom riders just yesterday - it is hard for a society to completely get rid of its prejudices in 50 years.

>>>It seems to be more of a one-step forward and two-steps backward when it comes to black rights. Still, there has been significant progress since the 60's. Of course, in light of the Zimmerman trial, the idea of a post-racial America seems to ring a bit hollow at least as it pertains to African-Americans.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:34 am

Kris and bw,
I agree with your comments.
change management is part of my professional life. In a highly controlled corporate world with consequences for non compliance, change takes time. Change needs patience. Sometimes those who refuse to change hide their feelings and attack the message through code words ( an example in politics, they use state rights to stall federal help to stop discrimination).
Even after a long time, one can find remnants of discorded ideas in some pockets with dangerous consequences.
I put Zimmerman in a class of yet to be reformed. This group is in low double digit % of all America.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Kris wrote:
>>>It seems to be more of a one-step forward and two-steps backward when it comes to black rights. Still, there has been significant progress since the 60's. Of course, in light of the Zimmerman trial, the idea of a post-racial America seems to ring a bit hollow at least as it pertains to African-Americans.

It takes two to tango. Unfortunately, black community has a lot of work to do to shed the baggage, especially parents; until then incidents such as this are bound to happen and innocent black kids will be the victims. Folks in DC suburbs are worried about metrorail expansion which is underway they feel this provides the folks in the city instant access to their communities which will make them less safe thus devalue their properties. You can't blame them as racists as there is some truth in it.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:40 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

It takes two to tango. Unfortunately, black community has a lot of work to do to shed the baggage, especially parents; until then incidents such as this are bound to happen and innocent black kids will be the victims. Folks in DC suburbs are worried about metrorail expansion which is underway they feel this provides the folks in the city instant access to their communities which will make them less safe thus devalue their properties. You can't blame them as racists as there is some truth in it.

>>>>It is a weird dance, if you think about it. It was set in motion by the events that took place starting in slavery through the early 60's. There has been substantial progress since then, but the entrenched beliefs can't be overcome completely within a generation or two. You also have an economic angle to this. The majority can't be expected to not have resentments over amends for past wrongs which they did not commit. There is also a higher family breakdown within the balck community which perpetuates the misery. The Zimmermans of the world and the leeway given to them by the system just add insult to injury.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:01 pm

n
truthbetold wrote:Kris and bw,
I agree with your comments.
change management is part of my professional life.  In a highly controlled corporate world with consequences for non compliance,  change takes time. Change needs patience. Sometimes those who refuse to change hide their feelings and attack the message through code words ( an example in politics,  they use state rights to stall federal help to stop discrimination).
Even after a long time,  one can find remnants of discorded ideas in some pockets with dangerous consequences.
I put Zimmerman in a class of yet to be reformed. This group is in low double digit % of all America.
>>>>Change does take time, but cases like this make you wonder if there is any sense that there are laws that don't engender confidence in a sizeable segment of the population. An absence of this sense is a serious hindrance to change. The other thing that is troubling is when legality and ethics/morality become divorced. In this case, the legality is simply that Zimmerman was acting out of self-defense in that narrow window of time. On that count, the jury's verdict may very well be correct. The problems not explored are why a neighborhood watch-person's rights were unchecked to the poin twhere he acted as a de facto policeman and why a young man followed by an unknown person is presumably without self-defense rights. The law makes no provision for these. It is an absurd argument that the law is the law and that's that. The feedback in the newsmedia from the public has a disturbingly high percentage referring to problems within the black community. Quite a bit of it may be true, but why is this part of the debate about Zimmerman's acquittal over the killing of Trayvon Martin? When people conflate the issues like this, we can't sit back and say the black community's problems are strictly of its own making. There definitely needs to some soul searching by this society on this matter.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>>It is a weird dance, if you think about it. It was set in motion by the events that took place starting in slavery through the early 60's. There has been substantial progress since then, but the entrenched beliefs can't be overcome completely within a generation or two. You also have an economic angle to this. The majority can't be expected to not have resentments over amends for past wrongs which they did not commit. There is also  a higher family breakdown within the balck community which perpetuates the misery. The Zimmermans of the world and the leeway given to them by the system just add insult to injury.
+1

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:45 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

Riiiiight! It is not racism when it involves us. We have perfectly justifiable reasons.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:48 pm

bw wrote:

It is hard for ANY society to completely get rid of its prejudices EVER.

India tried to do it by whitewashing the Mogul and the iSlamic barbarism and temple destruction over the last 1000 years in its history books and all it did was to convert a few into iSlamic Chumchaas... bcz the iSlamis never changed and never want to change their views.

same here in the US. Dig up my past posts... where I have stated the blacks will ALWAYS be the most discriminated here in US or anywhere in the world since the world is convinced anything dark is bad, ugly, and evil. Koreans beat up the Blacks, jews beat up the blacks, whites and the chinese do, and let us not even talk about the Indians - who are openly racist bums.

So the blacks will always be at the receiving end in any society - it is their Karma.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

Riiiiight! It is not racism when it involves us. We have perfectly justifiable reasons.

Surprise! Surprise! expected response Razz FYI, it doesn't involve/affect me nor reduce my property value. I was merely saying what I heard from the folks around.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:09 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

Surprise! Surprise! expected response Razz FYI, it doesn't involve/affect me nor reduce my property value. I was merely saying what I heard from the folks around.

Yep. It only reduces the property values of the folks around you. Not your property value.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Surprise! Surprise! expected response :PFYI, it doesn't involve/affect me nor reduce my property value. I was merely saying what I heard from the folks around.

Yep. It only reduces the property values of the folks around you. Not your property value.

DC metro area is of decent size, average commute is about 25-30 miles each way. In the city itself there are certain pockets that are booming, so don't take it literally and assume I was talking about subdivisions around me.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:36 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Surprise! Surprise! expected response :PFYI, it doesn't involve/affect me nor reduce my property value. I was merely saying what I heard from the folks around.

DC metro area is of decent size, average commute is about 25-30 miles each way. In the city itself there are certain pockets that are booming, so don't take it literally and assume I was talking about subdivisions around me.

So it doesn't affect your property values, but there is some truth in what those who are affected say?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:42 pm

i thought obama's reflections were borne out of deeply felt personal experiences. he spoke without notes, though he was very measured. he was speaking as a black man, and not necessarily as a president or even a politician for a good part of his remarks. only the most hardened partisan would put a political spin on this.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i thought obama's reflections were borne out of deeply felt personal experiences. he spoke without notes, though he was very measured. he was speaking as a black man, and not necessarily as a president or even a politician for a good part of his remarks. only the most hardened partisan would put a political spin on this.
On the flip side, the most hardened partisan can see Obama doing no wrong and not doping anything calculated. BTW, I think this was more measured than the "Trayvon Martin could have been my son". I am not sure if you recall the criticism he came under when he talked about the black community taking responsibility. I wonder if he will ever give that speech again.

Do you recall the reaction to Bill Cosby's speech?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:59 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

I was surrounded by whites 15 years ago. Then when blacks started moving in, almost all the white families moved within a couple of years. The irony is that now there are only two white families in my neighborhood. And they are both Christian fundamentalists!

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm

In my opinion obama took a political risk and spoke from his heart. I applaud him for that.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 pm

The statistics related to black teenage association with crime, violent incidents in black neighbourhoods and. Black on black crime are terrifying. Many on this forum and on major Tv discussions quoted or alluded to those stats to justify worry about Zimmerman's concerns.
The statsare facts. The question is should such facts allow z to create a situation that has no good results. Should the high crime ratetake away the rights of another innocent black?
The violence in black community makes it difficult for other communities to support its youth. But as obama said the way forward is to support the forward progress of young people.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Rishi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

I was surrounded by whites 15 years ago. Then when blacks started moving in, almost all the white families moved within a couple of years. The irony is that now there are only two white families in my neighborhood. And they are both Christian fundamentalists!

That is common in most societies. When a despised minority moves into your neighborhood, the majority take notice and leave. The reason being the "despised minority", perhaps due to age-old insecurity, tends to live in groups and among themselves, limiting their interactions with the rest.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Why look at only the negative? The reality is that Travyon Martin could have been Obama, whose race didn't stop him from ascending to the highest political office in the US.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

nevada wrote:Why look at only the negative? The reality is that Travyon Martin could have been Obama, whose race didn't stop him from ascending to the highest political office in the US.

Trevon is NOT Obama...

Obama had a white mother and brought up by a white grandma...and his own black father was a PhD. Obama is black ???? yep...50% but he is also 50% white. he may be CONSIDERED black, think and feel like a Black, but he was brought up in a white environment - away from slums, drugs, and gangs.

Simply put Zimmerman stood his ground and had the right to. But what about Travyon ? doesn't he have a right stand his ground, and did not he "feel" threatened ? If Zimmbo had stayed in his car and Trayvon had approached the car, there is reason for Zimmbo to feel threatened.

If Zimmerman had been black and Trayvon had been white the verdict wld hv been different.

White won over black in this case. plain and simple. If I had been a juror, this could have ended in a hung jury at the minimum or Zimmbo would have been in the slammer.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
nevada wrote:Why look at only the negative? The reality is that Travyon Martin could have been Obama, whose race didn't stop him from ascending to the highest political office in the US.

Trevon is NOT Obama...

Obama had a white mother and brought up by a white grandma...and his own black father was a PhD. Obama is black ???? yep...50% but he is also 50% white. he may be CONSIDERED black, think and feel like a Black, but he was brought up in a white environment - away from slums, drugs, and gangs.

Simply put Zimmerman stood his ground and had the right to. But what about Travyon ? doesn't he have a right stand his ground, and did not he "feel" threatened ? If Zimmbo had stayed in his car and Trayvon had approached the car, there is reason for Zimmbo to feel threatened.

If Zimmerman had been black and Trayvon had been white the verdict wld hv been different.

White won over black in this case. plain and simple. If I had been a juror, this could have ended in a hung jury at the minimum or Zimmbo would have been in the slammer.

Saamiyaar,

Obama Sr. was not allowed to finish his Ph.D He was kicked out of Harvard.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/report-documents-suggest-barack-obamas-father-was-forced-to-leave-harvard/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/8481779/Barack-Obamas-father-forced-out-of-US-in-1960s.html

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Any chance Bill Clinton inherited Obama Sr.'s gene? After all he was the first black President.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:50 pm

Rishi wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Trevon is NOT Obama...

Saamiyaar,

Obama Sr. was not allowed to finish his Ph.D He was kicked out of Harvard.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/report-documents-suggest-barack-obamas-father-was-forced-to-leave-harvard/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/8481779/Barack-Obamas-father-forced-out-of-US-in-1960s.html

I thot I read that he was a prof at Stanford...then I remembered it was Kamala's dad. Still Obama's dad was a graduate and good enough to gain admission to Harvard grad school. He did not live a typical black kids life, and in fact, had a very wide international exposure.

Zimmerman may or may not have been a racist. But, he went after Trayvon, then claiming to feel threatened and shooting Trayvon in self-defense is bull. The system practiced racial history on Travyon.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:06 am

>>>>I agree with you and in fact have argued this point in some exchanges with Boji. Obama is smart and also knew how to work the system. There is a night and day difference between what we have now and even the 60's. However, every so often we are reminded that the black community has an extra burden to bear in this march toward the future.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down