Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maharashtra vs Gujarat: The Chidambaram Comparison

4 posters

Go down

Maharashtra vs Gujarat: The Chidambaram Comparison Empty Maharashtra vs Gujarat: The Chidambaram Comparison

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Citing the examples of Gujarat and Maharashtra, Chidambaram said, "When we look at the growth rates under the 11th Five Year Plan, Maharashtra was at 8.5% and Gujarat at 9.5%, not a big difference.

"If you look at agricultural growth, then Maharashtra was at 2% and Gujarat at 6.65%. If we look at agri and allied sectors then Maharashtra was at 1.93% and Gujarat at 5.63%," he said.

"Clearly we see Gujarat has an edge over Maharashtra in growth. In growth, we can say Gujarat scores over Maharashtra in GDP, agricultural growth," Chidambaram said.

But, if we look at infant mortality rate (IMR), Gujarat has IMR of 44 per 1,000 in 2010-11, while Maharashtra was 28.

Look at the Maternal Mortality Rate(MMR) figures of 2007-09 - 148 in Gujarat and 104 in Maharashtra, he said. In case of total fertility rate, it was 2.5% in Gujarat and 1.9 in Maharashtra. "If we take immunisation coverage then 94.7% coverage in Gujarat and 99.45% in Maharashtra," he said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Chidambaram-invokes-Amartya-Sen-Jagdish-Bhagwati-to-attack-Modi/articleshow/21460837.cms

Back to top Go down

Maharashtra vs Gujarat: The Chidambaram Comparison Empty Re: Maharashtra vs Gujarat: The Chidambaram Comparison

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Rashmun wrote:Citing the examples of Gujarat and Maharashtra, Chidambaram said, "When we look at the growth rates under the 11th Five Year Plan, Maharashtra was at 8.5% and Gujarat at 9.5%, not a big difference.

"If you look at agricultural growth, then Maharashtra was at 2% and Gujarat at 6.65%. If we look at agri and allied sectors then Maharashtra was at 1.93% and Gujarat at 5.63%," he said.

"Clearly we see Gujarat has an edge over Maharashtra in growth. In growth, we can say Gujarat scores over Maharashtra in GDP, agricultural growth," Chidambaram said.

But, if we look at infant mortality rate (IMR), Gujarat has IMR of 44 per 1,000 in 2010-11, while Maharashtra was 28.

Look at the Maternal Mortality Rate(MMR) figures of 2007-09 - 148 in Gujarat and 104 in Maharashtra, he said. In case of total fertility rate, it was 2.5% in Gujarat and 1.9 in Maharashtra. "If we take immunisation coverage then 94.7% coverage in Gujarat and 99.45% in Maharashtra," he said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Chidambaram-invokes-Amartya-Sen-Jagdish-Bhagwati-to-attack-Modi/articleshow/21460837.cms
In the link Carvaka gave on Human Development Index, the first few pages are illustrative of this discussion. Economic growth is necessary to reduce unemployment, decrease poverty and have the means to improve education and healthcare. But it then gets down to the allocation of revenue to the various sectors by the governing bodies.

Just from Carvaka's charts, it is apparent that Maharashtra has a better growth in HDI (which addresses not merely economic growth but other aspects improving standard of living) than Gujarat. It is one thing for Sen or Baghwati to point this out but quite another for the Finance Minister to ride on their coat-tails to sell his own political agenda whether it's to support Rahul or himself as a potential candidate for PM.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Maharashtra vs Gujarat: The Chidambaram Comparison Empty Re: Maharashtra vs Gujarat: The Chidambaram Comparison

Post by Idéfix Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:37 pm

goodcitizn wrote:It is one thing for Sen or Baghwati to point this out but quite another for the Finance Minister to ride on their coat-tails to sell his own political agenda whether it's to support Rahul or himself as a potential candidate for PM.
+1. The real comparison for assessing Chidambaram's own government's performance is comparing GDP and HDI growth of India to that of its peers in the last ten years. I will do it this week if I can find the time.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:59 pm

Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:It is one thing for Sen or Baghwati to point this out but quite another for the Finance Minister to ride on their coat-tails to sell his own political agenda whether it's to support Rahul or himself as a potential candidate for PM.
+1. The real comparison for assessing Chidambaram's own government's performance is comparing GDP and HDI growth of India to that of its peers in the last ten years. I will do it this week if I can find the time.
Perhaps such a comparison might shed some light. Unfortunately, unlike the U.S. where there is a long history of a two-party system and performance records to make valid comparisons, India has mainly had INC or UPA in its 60+ years history with a short span where another party or coalition came into play. So I am not sure how revealing or meaningful it would be. In any event, if you find time to do it, great.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Yeah, I was planning to rely more on comparing India to other countries at similar HDI, per-capita GDP, etc. to see how India's performance compares to its peers in the last 9-10 years. I will also do a comparison of GDP growth rates since 1991 under various PMs, like I did for Gujarat under its various CMs.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Idéfix wrote:Yeah, I was planning to rely more on comparing India to other countries at similar HDI, per-capita GDP, etc. to see how India's performance compares to its peers in the last 9-10 years. I will also do a comparison of GDP growth rates since 1991 under various PMs, like I did for Gujarat under its various CMs.
True. Will look forward to it. It would be like comparing between JJ and MK in TN or Mulayam and Mayawati in UP.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:10 pm

"India's growth would have progressed better if it comprised its southern and western parts only...The rest of the country held the South and West back", so said P. Chidamparam, Minister of Finance, India (2004-2008) to the American Ambassador in August 2009.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:05 am

More than 70% of Maharashtra's economic success is due to Bombay or Mumbai (the capital of Maharashtra and the financial capital of India).

The economic / financial activity in Mumbai is not just the result of policies and actions of Maharashtra Govt. and its chief minister, but considerably due also to the policies and actions of Indian Central Govt. and the Govt. of Gujarat next door (to Mumbai).

In addition, there is a significant positive impact on Mumbai's economy from the policies and actions of corporations and Govts. abroad.

Thus, since more than 70% economy of Maharashtra is due to Mumbai, perhaps Maharashtra Govt's role (in terms of policies and actions) in the economic progress and well-being of that state is in reality (considering the above) smaller (probably even less than 50%).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down