Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i have no intention of learning hindi

+3
goodcitizn
Kayalvizhi
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

i have no intention of learning hindi  Empty i have no intention of learning hindi

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

i have no intention of learning hindi  Empty Re: i have no intention of learning hindi

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 pm

the captain in question who c.d.gopinath did not mention by name was vijay hazare.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/62737.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

i have no intention of learning hindi  Empty Re: i have no intention of learning hindi

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm

I dont have time to watch 10 minutes. Tell 2 sentences what its about?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:58 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:I dont have time to watch 10 minutes. Tell 2 sentences what its about?

i don't have time to read your silly tamil tribune articles either. and i don't respond to needless haughtiness.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:30 am

It is interesting that Bombay pretty much controlled what happened in Indian cricket even back then and he was intimidated for being a Madrasi and not speaking Hindi. I applaud him for standing up to the captain saying that he was there to play cricket and had no intention of learning Hindi.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:48 am

goodcitizn wrote:It is interesting that Bombay pretty much controlled what happened in Indian cricket even back then and he was intimidated for being a Madrasi and not speaking Hindi. I applaud him for standing up to the captain saying that he was there to play cricket and had no intention of learning Hindi.
wasn't hazare's language marathi? why was he upset about gopinath not understanding hindi? c.d. gopinath was an alumnus of m.c.c.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 am

Jebediah Mburuburu wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:It is interesting that Bombay pretty much controlled what happened in Indian cricket even back then and he was intimidated for being a Madrasi and not speaking Hindi. I applaud him for standing up to the captain saying that he was there to play cricket and had no intention of learning Hindi.
wasn't hazare's language marathi? why was he upset about gopinath not understanding hindi? c.d. gopinath was an alumnus of m.c.c.
I remember Devanesan mentioning it saying he captained for MCC in intercollegiate cricket and resided in Selaiyur Hall.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:12 am

it seems like he has picked up hindi over time since he calls the gaur that visits his garden "bada bheem". shdn't it be "periya bheeman"?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/he-has-a-gaur-for-a-guest-in-the-garden/article4850728.ece

"The gaur, nicknamed ‘Bada Bheem’ by Mr. Gopinath, goes to great lengths to come into his garden house, which is not far from the forest. It seems to be drawn to the grass in the fenced property, untainted by pesticides. It pays a visit once in four or five days."

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 am

bw wrote:it seems like he has picked up hindi over time since he calls the gaur that visits his garden "bada bheem". shdn't it be "periya bheeman"?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/he-has-a-gaur-for-a-guest-in-the-garden/article4850728.ece

"The gaur, nicknamed ‘Bada Bheem’ by Mr. Gopinath, goes to great lengths to come into his garden house, which is not far from the forest. It seems to be drawn to the grass in the fenced property, untainted by pesticides. It pays a visit once in four or five days."

you're being remarkably petty. it's good to know this face of indian cricketing history although we've heard about it in bits and pieces from south zone cricketers who played back in the day. regardless of whether CDG learned hindi later, he is narrating incidents which made a lasting impression on him when he was very young.

i never intended to learn russian, but i call my dog маленький лев. i guess i learned russian at some point.

incidentally, not a whole lot seems to have changed despite some people's longing about reunification and akhanda bharat, glorification of the dakshin bharat duckini prachar sabha, interviews with tea shop boys and waiters near vellore bus stand, auto rickshaw drivers in kumbakONam, cobblers in dharmapuri and so on, were we to believe this interview.

Which Tamil Nadu cricketer speaks Hindi fluently?
No one. That is what the Hindi-speaking players on the circuit feel. Only Dinesh [Karthik] can manage some Hindi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:23 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:it seems like he has picked up hindi over time since he calls the gaur that visits his garden "bada bheem". shdn't it be "periya bheeman"?

you're being remarkably petty. it's good to know this face of indian cricketing history although we've heard about it in bits and pieces from south zone cricketers who played back in the day. regardless of whether CDG learned hindi later, he is narrating incidents which made a lasting impression on him when he was very young.

i never intended to learn russian, but i call my dog маленький лев. i guess i learned russian at some point.

incidentally, not a whole lot seems to have changed despite some people's longing about reunification and akhanda bharat, glorification of the dakshin bharat duckini prachar sabha, interviews with tea shop boys and waiters near vellore bus stand, auto rickshaw drivers in kumbakONam, cobblers in dharmapuri and so on, were we to believe this interview.

Which Tamil Nadu cricketer speaks Hindi fluently?
No one. That is what the Hindi-speaking players on the circuit feel. Only Dinesh [Karthik] can manage some Hindi.

my interpretation of the underlined words is: their hindi is not as fluent as native hindi speakers (as per the native hindi speakers) with the exception of Karthik who is relatively fluent in hindi. this does not mean that they are unable to communicate in hindi.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

you're being remarkably petty.
it's good to know this face of indian cricketing history although we've heard about it in bits and pieces from south zone cricketers who played back in the day. regardless of whether CDG learned hindi later, he is narrating incidents which made a lasting impression on him when he was very young.

you title the thread "i have no intention of learning hindi". i google the person and the first link i find is this. you don't find that funny?  considering that you recently questioned uppili on a random hindi word he used, your labellng me petty for pointing this out is kind of amusing.

i am sorry, i don't know much about this gentleman and his achievements. i just found it hilarious that he should call the animal "bada bheem".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:48 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

it's good to know this face of indian cricketing history although we've heard about it in bits and pieces from south zone cricketers who played back in the day. regardless of whether CDG learned hindi later, he is narrating incidents which made a lasting impression on him when he was very young.

you title the thread "i have no intention of learning hindi". i google the person and the first link i find is this. you don't find that funny?  considering that you recently questioned uppili on a random hindi word he used, your labellng me petty for pointing this out is kind of amusing.

i am sorry, i don't know much about this gentleman and his achievements. i just found it hilarious that he should call the animal "bada bheem".

petty!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

petty!

*shrug*

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 am

Take away from this thread:

Throwing a fit about using langot instead of  Kaupeenam - Magnanimous

Pointing out Bada bheem in Hindi vs Periya bheeman in Thamizhl- Petty
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 am

Hellsangel wrote:Take away from this thread:

>>>I am starting to rather like 'kaupeenam' -- sounds very roman. 'Langot' (pronounced lan-jho) sounds tres french, with the beret and the man-purse thing. Yep, I am going with kaupeenam. Will swing by walmart later for a 5 pack in assorted colors/

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am

Kris wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Take away from this thread:

>>>I am starting to rather like 'kaupeenam' -- sounds very roman. 'Langot' (pronounced lan-jho) sounds tres french, with the beret and the man-purse thing. Yep, I am going with kaupeenam. Will swing by walmart later for a 5 pack in assorted colors/

Toga party coming up?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:39 am

my hindi chip is bigger than your tamil chip. my toaster is better than yours. my mummy is better than your mummy. my lund is bigger than yours. EOD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:12 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:my hindi chip is bigger than your tamil chip. my toaster is better than yours. my mummy is mammaries are bigger than yours mummy. my lund is bigger than yours. EOD.

*fixed*

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down