Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telangana & Hyderabad - Some Predictions

+3
Vakavaka Pakapaka
truthbetold
indophile
7 posters

Go down

Telangana & Hyderabad - Some Predictions Empty Telangana & Hyderabad - Some Predictions

Post by indophile Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:54 am

Some crystal ball, some wishful thinking, some commonsense. Unless people with some vision and administrative competence are allowed to take charge in Telangana, the following things may very well happen.

1. With demand for protection money and reservations for locals, all private industry (IT industry, pharma, movie industry, etc.) will move to Vizag.
2. Central government sponsored industry (DRDO, Electronics, etc.) will stick around in Hyderabad.
3. High end tutorials (IIT, IAS, IPS, CA, etc.) will maintain some presence in Hyderabad and Warangal, but all their expansion will be in SA and Bangalore (already, they are expanding significantly in Bangalore) since that's where they can make money, and where competition is respected.
4. All commercial activity in Hyderabad will be dominated by Gujaratis and other Bombay-based businesses.
5. There may be some naam-ke-vaaste development in non-Hyderabad Telangana, but nothing close to what Telangana leaders promised.
6. The 10-year timeframe on Hyderabad may be cut short because of unwillingness on both sides to run it to the full term, irrespective of how long it could take for SA folks and businesses to wind up in Hyderabad and transition to Vizag and/or other places.
7. Telugu language and literature will be dead in Telangana in 2 or 3 decades.
8. There will be big dispute on the sharing of Godavari and Krishna waters. In the meantime, Maharashtra will build more dams across Godavari (upstream of Babli) and render any Telangana-SA water dispute moot.
9. There will be many political killings terrorism in Telangana/Hyderabad because of greed combined with a limited pie, red problem, and the muslim problem.

Add your own predictions (good or bad).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Telangana & Hyderabad - Some Predictions Empty Re: Telangana & Hyderabad - Some Predictions

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:10 am

Info,
agree with you on 8. River waters will be a life and death issue.

Disagree with 4. You are projecting backwards to pre andhra pradedh days. Seemandhra businessmen have been successful in Chennai and Bangalore. Hyderabad would be more hospitable.

Reject 1. Hyderabad will continue to flourish after a period of adjustment. Hiccups possible but no long term obstacles.

Reject 7. Telugu survived Nizam. Telugu film industry will continue in hyd for a long time.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Telangana & Hyderabad - Some Predictions Empty Re: Telangana & Hyderabad - Some Predictions

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:43 am

Vizag is not viable as a commercial center as it is surrounded by agency area. Vijayawada (surrounded by prosperous rural areas) has always been the commercial center of Andhra. So, I anticipate tremendous commercial development around Vijayawada/Guntur area.

Telugu will continue to do well in parts of T. Hyderabad is an odd place. Hyderabadi is foreign to, for example, Khammam.

Maadigas constitute a significant group in Telangana. They will have more political clout translating into more CONwallah type social "reform" (vote bank politics, enhanced reservations and doling out of money, etc.). (In case you don't know, RSS is also prominent in Telangana and not in Andhra. So, there will be Muslim/Hindu friction in addition to the Maadiga agitation, Naxal menace, etc.). 

Hyderabadis will be gradually disappointed with the behavior of Telangana politicians and will start complaining about problems with governance, delivery of services, unemployment, failing infrastructure, etc. Remember that CONwallahs are only interested in Hyderabad as long as they have their political advantage in Telangana. If they don't see such an advantage, they won't careless if Hyderabad collapses (they in fact showed evidence of such a behavior during the last 5 years). I am really worried for Hyderabadis.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:19 pm

indophile wrote:
Some crystal ball, some wishful thinking, some commonsense. Unless people with some vision and administrative competence are allowed to take charge in Telangana, the following things may very well happen.

1. With demand for protection money and reservations for locals, all private industry (IT industry, pharma, movie industry, etc.) will move to Vizag.
2. Central government sponsored industry (DRDO, Electronics, etc.) will stick around in Hyderabad.
3. High end tutorials (IIT, IAS, IPS, CA, etc.) will maintain some presence in Hyderabad and Warangal, but all their expansion will be in SA and Bangalore (already, they are expanding significantly in Bangalore) since that's where they can make money, and where competition is respected.
4. All commercial activity in Hyderabad will be dominated by Gujaratis and other Bombay-based businesses.
5. There may be some naam-ke-vaaste development in non-Hyderabad Telangana, but nothing close to what Telangana leaders promised.
6. The 10-year timeframe on Hyderabad may be cut short because of unwillingness on both sides to run it to the full term, irrespective of how long it could take for SA folks and businesses to wind up in Hyderabad and transition to Vizag and/or other places.
8. There will be big dispute on the sharing of Godavari and Krishna waters. In the meantime, Maharashtra will build more dams across Godavari (upstream of Babli) and render any Telangana-SA water dispute moot.
9. There will be many political killings terrorism in Telangana/Hyderabad because of greed combined with a  limited pie, red problem, and the muslim problem.

** Everyone I know who got an education got educated in Andhra university, I think it's located in a quiet town called "Waltair." I have family there living in the AU quarters. I visited when I was nine and later when I was thirty. I would wake up at 6am and all I had to do was cross the highway to find myself walking in the white sand, the sea was very blue and here and there you'd see some elegant navy ship and the shore was very clean. The air was salty and you could taste it if you stuck your tongue out. There were some tan makeshift tents on the shore where the fisher people lived but their homes were spare and very neat. They weren't loud or rude or nosy, in fact I'd say that the men and women are polite and hard-working. If you keep walking along the beach for 90 mins you come to the taj and there are a lot of people near that area. But by then it's 730 am and they have a great breakfast and a section called the anti-oxidant table (I don't remember if they called it that or maybe I made it up). At this table they have papaya and apple juice and sprouts of every kind and guess what, they have berries too. Their idlis are awesome esp because the coconut chutney is so fresh and light. Some nights I'd spend at the Taj - it's an awfully quaint hotel - and sleep to the sound of the waves, and when I visit home, my cousins and I set up a mosquito net tent on the daba to sleep outdoors.

** I'd hate to see any outsiders in Vizag.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:09 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

I agree Vizag should not be the capital. It's half-ruined already, and making it a capital will finish the job. People talk about infrastructure already in place, but that's not the right way to posture for the center. Get the money to build a new capital that's more geographically centrally located, and thereby develop some non-agricultural areas and create more jeevanopadhi for a lot of people.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:26 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

9. There will be many political killings terrorism in Telangana/Hyderabad because of greed combined with a  limited pie, red problem, and the muslim problem.

** Everyone I know who got an education got educated in Andhra university, I think it's located in a quiet town called "Waltair." I have family there living in the AU quarters. I visited when I was nine and later when I was thirty. I would wake up at 6am and all I had to do was cross the highway to find myself walking in the white sand, the sea was very blue and here and there you'd see some elegant navy ship and the shore was very clean. The air was salty and you could taste it if you stuck your tongue out. There were some tan makeshift tents on the shore where the fisher people lived but their homes were spare and very neat. They weren't loud or rude or nosy, in fact I'd say that the men and women are polite and hard-working. If you keep walking along the beach for 90 mins you come to the taj and there are a lot of people near that area. But by then it's 730 am and they have a great breakfast and a section called the anti-oxidant table (I don't remember if they called it that or maybe I made it up). At this table they have papaya and apple juice and sprouts of every kind and guess what, they have berries too. Their idlis are awesome esp because the coconut chutney is so fresh and light. Some nights I'd spend at the Taj - it's an awfully quaint hotel - and sleep to the sound of the waves, and when I visit home, my cousins and I set up a mosquito net tent on the daba to sleep outdoors.

Brings back memories......

MhaaraanipEta had an agraharam look when I was a student. I knew several families - some family names: Tenneti, Garimella, Bulusu, Pullela, Sonthi, Jayanti, Rachakonda..... Hmm.... Those days, there were no hotels and apartments in that area. We used to walk to the beach. Century Club, Collector's Office, Ramakrishna matam, etc..... On Saturdays, early in the morning, I used to go to the Venkateswara temple on the hill near Dolphin's nose. Hmm.... Those were the days.....

The communists used to have a book-store called Visalandhra. Opposite to it, there used to be a photo studio. On the road to AMC, there used to be a famous restaurant (forgot the name).......

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:53 am

Ghanta, dronamraju are missing from your list.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 am

truthbetold wrote:Ghanta, dronamraju are missing from your list.

I knew one Ghanta Satyanarayana. Maharanipeta had mostly penkutillu (Tenneti Viswanatham gaari illu was a penkutillu - inti mundu pedda muggu vEsEvaallu). To have a daabaa was a sign of wealth. The Jayanti family I knew had a big daabaa.....

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:06 am

I know several ghanti families. Usn't ghanta srinivas rao minister from that area?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:23 am

truthbetold wrote:I know several ghanti families. Usn't ghanta srinivas rao minister from that area?

I lost touch with the families in Vizag. Several of those families became prosperous. Like Pravalika, I knew families that worked at AU. Those days, AU used to have stalwarts as faculty. In Chemistry, it was perhaps, the best university in the country.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 am

okappudu Sarvepalli Radhakrishna, Kattamanchi Ramalinga Redddy laanti stalwarts served as vice-chancellors of AU. Later L. Bullayya or B. Ellayya laanti vaallu vaccheru.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:33 pm

indophile wrote:

Here are my opinions.
1. Not going to happen. For about 400 years now, Hyderabad has been the preeminent city in Andhradesam. It will continue to play that role in future.
2. Yes, there will be no change in that.
3. Hyderabad will maintain its spirit of competitiveness. I don't see people suddenly becoming relaxed. If anything, the division will probably spur more competition between institutes to drive their students to more crazy heights of "coaching."
4. There are strong Gujarati, Marathi, and Marwadi business communities in Hyderabad already. I don't see Telugu businessmen from coastal Andhra abandoning Hyderabad either.
5. This I agree with.
6. I don't think so. I don't see Seemandhra politicians agreeing on a new capital without taking the full time. If anything, I think the probability of the deadline slipping is more than that of the transition being completed faster than planned.
7. This will not happen. Telugu language and literature survived the oppressive Nizams. It survived multiple generations of Urdu-only education in Telagana. It won't disappear in 2-3 decades now.
8. Yes, this will happen.
9. This is likely as well.

My big prediction: ten years from now, a lot of the extreme predictions we make now will seem crazy, because life and business will go on as usual on both sides of the divide once the dust settles. For businesses, operating in Vijayawada and Hyderabad will be no different than operating in Kurnool and Bangalore, or Nellore and Chennai. If anything, the differences will be smaller.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:14 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
** Everyone I know who got an education got educated in Andhra university, I think it's located in a quiet town called "Waltair." I have family there living in the AU quarters. I visited when I was nine and later when I was thirty. I would wake up at 6am and all I had to do was cross the highway to find myself walking in the white sand, the sea was very blue and here and there you'd see some elegant navy ship and the shore was very clean.

...rest yadyadayada....deleted...

Lady (you WERE already 30): Waltair is within 5 miles of Vizag and has a maha-major railway station. So you should know that first (since you are claiming to be a Suprior Gult).

Outsiders????? looks like YOU are the outsider to Andhra and perhaps should shift to Telengana.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hashie Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:39 pm

undefined wrote: Brings back memories......

MhaaraanipEta had an agraharam look when I was a student. I knew several families - some family names: Tenneti, Garimella, Bulusu, Pullela, Sonthi, Jayanti, Rachakonda..... Hmm.... Those days, there were no hotels and apartments in that area. We used to walk to the beach. Century Club, Collector's Office, Ramakrishna matam, etc..... On Saturdays, early in the morning, I used to go to the Venkateswara temple on the hill near Dolphin's nose. Hmm.... Those were the days.....

The communists used to have a book-store called Visalandhra. Opposite to it, there used to be a photo studio. On the road to AMC, there used to be a famous restaurant (forgot the name).......

Wow..my grandmother used to tell us they lived next to sri sri's house. well...that was before sri sri actually became big. That was also near Beach road...matches ur description... any memory about surnames like Nerella, Mangipudi etc? :-)

Hashie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Hashie wrote:

Wow..my grandmother used to tell us they lived next to sri sri's house. well...that was before sri sri actually became big. That was also near Beach road...matches ur description... any memory about surnames like Nerella, Mangipudi etc? :-)
Naaku theledandi. Sreerangam vaallu unnaarani vinnaanukaanee, Sri Sri gaari illekkado thelEdu.

"pagalanaka rEyanaka paduthunna sramanantaa parulakoraku dhaarapOyu mooga jeevulu" (Velugu Needalu - describes his true outlook).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hashie Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Hashie wrote:

Naaku theledandi. Sreerangam vaallu unnaarani vinnaanukaanee, Sri Sri gaari illekkado thelEdu.

"pagalanaka rEyanaka paduthunna sramanantaa parulakoraku dhaarapOyu mooga jeevulu" (Velugu Needalu - describes his true outlook).

okie ...always nice to see ppl discuss  vizag, ramakrishna matam and andhra univ....

Hashie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down