Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Counting swear words

+5
seven
Propagandhi711
pravalika nanda
MaxEntropy_Man
goodcitizn
9 posters

Go down

Counting swear words Empty Counting swear words

Post by goodcitizn Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:39 am

I stopped by my neighbor along the way from my evening walk who was having a yard sale. As I was chatting, the lady's 7-year-old daughter came running to report that her brother was singing a rap song that had 12 swear words. The lady excused herself and went in to yell at her teenage son.

I was amused since the same little girl who is afraid to speak any swear word now will be freely swearing once she reaches puberty. What is it about curse words? Do teenagers begin to use them because they rebel or because they feel powerless?

Or, is profanity sexy?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Counting swear words Empty Re: Counting swear words

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:47 am

I heard it's somewhat genetical too. u r either a swearing kind of person, or you are not. And if you are trying hard to be something else, it shows.

Anyway, am super pissed today. Let a young dentist work on my 8 year old, and she went ahead and did a root canal, telling me so when she had already drilled. She didn't warn me when we were looking at the xrays last week. She didn't even mention a possibility of it. Then today she tells me fast, and by the time I could fathom it, it was done. AFTER doing it, she shows the SAME x-ray and goes, 'see mom. that's the nerve, that's the decay, and see, the decay is touching the nerve. The nerve was barely alive'. So genius, why wasn't I told of this when the x-ray was taken, so I could have asked for a second doctor/opinion. Also, no pain/complain by the kid about anything hurting there. I used to trust that group of doctors. They never advised anything so far, that would hurt my wallet or the kids' teeth. They infact adviced me cheaper solutions on purpose. And now this. Oh, I can curse a lot today. Will see how I feel tomorrow morning, and see how inclined I feel about talking to that office. One thing is for sure. This bitch is not touching any of my kids again.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:09 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:I heard it's somewhat genetical too. u r either a swearing kind of person, or you are not. And if you are trying hard to be something else, it shows.

And now this. Oh, I can curse a lot today. Will see how I feel tomorrow morning, and see how inclined I feel about talking to that office. One thing is for sure. This bitch is not touching any of my kids again.
Sorry about your dentist incident today. I'm shocked she didn't discuss the charges of a root canal before she went ahead with it. But if your daughter needed it, feel good that it was done now to avoid problems later.

My father never used profanity. That to some extent had to do with the times he lived in and his own environment. My jewish buddy calls me a putz for not swearing enough.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:I heard it's somewhat genetical too. u r either a swearing kind of person, or you are not. And if you are trying hard to be something else, it shows.

And now this. Oh, I can curse a lot today. Will see how I feel tomorrow morning, and see how inclined I feel about talking to that office. One thing is for sure. This bitch is not touching any of my kids again.
Sorry about your dentist incident today. I'm shocked she didn't discuss the charges of a root canal before she went ahead with it. But if your daughter needed it, feel good that it was done now to avoid problems later.

My father never used profanity. That to some extent had to do with the times he lived in and his own environment. My jewish buddy calls me a putz for not swearing enough.
She did ask me... 10 seconds before numbing him, 'Mom, the cavity is too deep and touching the nerve, so we will need to do nerve something, ok?' And by the time I realize she means root canal, it was getting done... I still feel stupid about not getting up and saying no, while she was still numbing him, coz I was still asking questions to understand it. I don't know how to tell the office that I don't feel comfortable about how this was handled, even if this was needed. Wish I had more time to prepare for this. That's why I am not doing anything today. Let me think this through. Lease I could do is to make sure at the time of next appointments who the dentist would be.

My dad doesn't curse at all. Mom does, but benign womanly ones. Point is, the inclination is there. I curse a lot more than her, but if you know me outside of my immediate friend circle you won't believe it. I don't curse someone on their face, mostly to a third person when retelling a story, like I did above. XH doesn't curse. Older one doesn't, but is picking up slowly mostly from company, but her swearing is extremely mild. I call her out even when she says, 'darn it', which is pretty hypocritical coz I curse left and right. Younger one, omg, is a different story. He used to use expressions even before he knew any curse words. I am afraid he is gonna grow to be a gutter mouth, even though at this point we have it sorta under control. Let's see. Will find out.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 am

i don't enjoy taking the kiddos to the dentists. i feel like i'm always caught in the firing line. she is paranoid about the amount of radiation from x-rays and constantly questions the frequency of taking x-ray images, whereas the office wants to take pictures at the drop of a hat. it's a constant battle. she's right though. there are absolutely no rigorous, long term cross-sectional studies on this stuff at all. the dentists fly by the seats of their pants and not very pleasant to you when you question their medical wisdom.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:39 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

She did ask me... 10 seconds before numbing him, 'Mom, the cavity is too deep and touching the nerve, so we will need to do nerve something, ok?' And by the time I realize she means root canal, it was getting done... I still feel stupid about not getting up and saying no, while she was still numbing him, coz I was still asking questions to understand it. I don't know how to tell the office that I don't feel comfortable about how this was handled, even if this was needed. Wish I had more time to prepare for this. That's why I am not doing anything today. Let me think this through. Lease I could do is to make sure at the time of next appointments who the dentist would be.

My dad doesn't curse at all. Mom does, but benign womanly ones. Point is, the inclination is there. I curse a lot more than her, but if you know me outside of my immediate friend circle you won't believe it. I don't curse someone on their face, mostly to a third person when retelling a story, like I did above. XH doesn't curse. Older one doesn't, but is picking up slowly mostly from company, but her swearing is extremely mild. I call her out even when she says, 'darn it', which is pretty hypocritical coz I curse left and right. Younger one, omg, is a different story. He used to use expressions even before he knew any curse words. I am afraid he is gonna grow to be a gutter mouth, even though at this point we have it sorta under control. Let's see. Will find out.
wanted to edit the post, but could not... it also took me a while to figure out that she means to do it NOW, not later. I first thought she is just warning that this would be a possibility for later for this tooth. Then when she had numbed it fully she mumbled it, is when it hit. That's how surprised i was.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:40 am

i am actually scared of dentists. that feeling of utter helplessness of relying on someone else to advise you about your oral health, then my pupils dilate as the man goes drilling away, the pressure, the pain, the prayers for divine intervention...too much to handle.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:42 am

sorry about your experience though. you could file an official complaint with their office. send them an email instead of getting on the phone. that always seems to get their attention. i had a billing issue with verizon FIOs that i was trying to sort for ages on the phone. they gave me the run around. finally when i wrote to them threatening to take them to small claims court, i got immediate action.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:45 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sorry about your experience though. you could file an official complaint with their office. send them an email instead of getting on the phone. that always seems to get their attention. i had a billing issue with verizon FIOs that i was trying to sort for ages on the phone. they gave me the run around. finally when i wrote to them threatening to take them to small claims court, i got immediate action.
oh, what was the sum involved that made you make this threat?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sorry about your experience though. you could file an official complaint with their office. send them an email instead of getting on the phone. that always seems to get their attention. i had a billing issue with verizon FIOs that i was trying to sort for ages on the phone. they gave me the run around. finally when i wrote to them threatening to take them to small claims court, i got immediate action.
$150 and change. i was too busy and failed to notice until three months later that they had added packages that i had never requested and i was just paying the bill.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:50 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
$150 and change. i was too busy and failed to notice until three months later that they had added packages that i had never requested and i was just paying the bill.
oh okay, i asked cuz i wanted to know for myself at what number i should start saying things like that. for me, i think 60, less than that i won't fight about.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
As a single mom, you are their role model at home. You can't curse and then expect them not to. But by the same token I don't think you'd use really nasty expletives. LOL. Of course, what is nasty is so subjective!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:23 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
As a single mom, you are their role model at home. You can't curse and then expect them not to. But by the same token I don't think you'd use really nasty expletives. LOL. Of course, what is nasty is so subjective!
I would care more about being a role model if I thought it was a virtue myself. But I don't. I don't care about cursing, and if faced with it, I am able to ignore it, while still focussing on the issue at hand. They are gonna face a curse-full world, so ya... better to get desensitized than being extra-sensitive about it. Have seen some people get all bent out of shape when faced with rough people.

I do draw the line on swearing in every sentence, and want the kids to grow into whatever their natural thing is w/o being influenced by friends. Least I can do is to train them not to talk nasty infront of adults.

Regarding being nasty, well, XH has heard it all from me, sometimes creatively strung up together to make a new word/phrase too. Sometimes he has stopped in the middle of a fight and asked me what it means, or questioned the technicality of it, and laughed too. You name a swear-word in Hindi, English or Punjabi, if I know the word, he has most likely heard it out of my mouth (or even in print) in last 7-8 years. If I don't know the word, there is a high probability he will hear it from me in near future. Just a matter of how riled up I get and when.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
I would care more about being a role model if I thought it was a virtue myself. But I don't. I don't care about cursing, and if faced with it, I am able to ignore it, while still focussing on the issue at hand. They are gonna face a curse-full world, so ya... better to get desensitized than being extra-sensitive about it. Have seen some people get all bent out of shape when faced with rough people.

I do draw the line on swearing in every sentence, and want the kids to grow into whatever their natural thing is w/o being influenced by friends. Least I can do is to train them not to talk nasty infront of adults.

Regarding being nasty, well, XH has heard it all from me, sometimes creatively strung up together to make a new word/phrase too. Sometimes he has stopped in the middle of a fight and asked me what it means, or questioned the technicality of it, and laughed too. You name a swear-word in Hindi, English or Punjabi, if I know the word, he has most likely heard it out of my mouth (or even in print) in last 7-8 years. If I don't know the word, there is a high probability he will hear it from me in near future. Just a matter of how riled up I get and when.
do you swear in bed? like behnchod kya maara re saala, meri phuddi phat gayiiii etc? coz that'd be hot

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

do you swear in bed? like behnchod kya maara re saala, meri phuddi phat gayiiii etc? coz that'd be hot
chhee...

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

chhee...
I'll take that as an yes...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:11 pm

swearing is a sign of passion. when you're passionately upset about something or with someone, you swear, it helps you vent.

teenagers/kids pick up such language not bcz they feel powerless maybe partially bcz they rebel - parents say dont talk like that and so they must. i think they do it primarily bcz they see others/elders do it and they dont understand the meaning of it. if they knew wat it means, they'll prolly not say it. also bcz parents don't teach kids how to talk.

i didn't swear growing up. my mom wouldn't let us. us (my sister and i) being girls etc. but i say the eff word now and it's liberating. i still can't swear when talking to elders.

@ tracy's dentist situation
(go ahead cuss me if you must )

could it be that you were texting or posting/chatting on CH when dentist was discussing sonny's case ? 
telling you its RCT 10 seconds before numbing sounds like a hyperbole and a half (since you're upset n all..i can imagine why you'd think it was that late).

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14 pm

now i know why you are called an idiot here.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:28 pm

its not so inconceivable. you're just angry tonite. i'm not an idiot.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:18 am

seven wrote:swearing is a sign of passion. when you're passionately upset about something or with someone, you swear, it helps you vent.

teenagers/kids pick up such language not bcz they feel powerless maybe partially bcz they rebel - parents say dont talk like that and so they must.
1. Yes, swearing sometimes helps you vent. But not at the expense of someone else. When your car doesn't start on a cold morning, you can sure as hell curse and vent. It helps some and you move on to jump the battery. I had a friend in college who'd curse in different languages half in jest and half to vent.

2. There has to be some correlation between oppression and profanity. Powerlessness often provokes frustration and anger resulting in expletives. People in poorer quarters are known to curse in the crudest language possible. That has to be a reflection of being oppressed and downtrodden. Maybe my theory sucks! Wink

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:46 am

root canal 1 - ooohhh.... aiiiiiiiiii.... arghhhhh.... no no..... damn that hurts..... uiiiiiii maaaaaa.... were you born to a butcher, you goddamm son of a witch!

root canal 2 - take it easy now... yeah, that;s more like it... go on. get done with it already...

root canal 3 - hey buddy, hows it going? drinks after the root canal?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 am

seven wrote:its not so inconceivable. you're just angry tonite. i'm not an idiot.
I don't know who would be texting while shown an x-ray and handed a billing estimate. Maybe you are absent-minded like that. Most parents are not.

Anyway, thanks! Coz you made me get riled up all over again to stay up late and compose an email to the office. And thanks to Max for the suggestion. Let's see how it goes. If nothing, hope it is out of my system now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:40 am

Vids,

the correct procedure at the dentist must've been: The dental office should've let you know clearly that there could be a possibility of a root canal as this is a case where they don't know how close the decay is to the nerve until they drilled in. And they shld've given you the charges for 1. just the filling 2. a root canal, if needed. 3. a crown, if needed. 

They shld've made it clear to you on what all to expect and taken you consent for any of the procedures before they even started treating the patient. It's not good to give surprises to the patients later. 

To max:

The radiation at the dental offices is pretty minimal, more so if it's a digital x-ray machine. Either way, they say you get more radiation from an average exposure to sunlight than from the dental x rays. Besides, they put the lead jacket and all. there's no need to panic.

also, the enamel on baby teeth is pretty weak (unlike the enamel in the adult teeth) and the teeth are more prone to decay.  So a routine 6 month x rays is recommended, at least for kids.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:54 am

Thanks kinns. I was secretly afraid you would tell me otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:I heard it's somewhat genetical too.
Do you mean genetic or genital?

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
seven wrote:its not so inconceivable. you're just angry tonite. i'm not an idiot.
I don't know who would be texting while shown an x-ray and handed a billing estimate. Maybe you are absent-minded like that. Most parents are not.

Anyway, thanks! Coz you made me get riled up all over again to stay up late and compose an email to the office. And thanks to Max for the suggestion. Let's see how it goes. If nothing, hope it is out of my system now.
doctors routinely say things like sometimes we cannot tell if RCT is required until we go deeper etc. i don't know what doctor doesn't tell clients about the procedure they are about to do.

it's routine procedure. they do it with all the people. chances of them ignoring it are lesser compared to a single mom, juggling too many things at the same time, missing what doctor was saying.

according to you the doctor was negligent, i am absent minded but there is no possibility that you didn't hear when doctor told you it could possibly be a case of RCT and we'll not know until we get in there. 

anyway, i debated in my mind if you were distracted or the doctor didn't tell you ahead of time about the procedure she was about to do on ur kid and doctor won.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:16 am

goodcitizn wrote:I stopped by my neighbor along the way from my evening walk who was having a yard sale. As I was chatting, the lady's 7-year-old daughter came running to report that her brother was singing a rap song that had 12 swear words. The lady excused herself and went in to yell at her teenage son.

I was amused since the same little girl who is afraid to speak any swear word now will be freely swearing once she reaches puberty. What is it about curse words? Do teenagers begin to use them because they rebel or because they feel powerless?

Or, is profanity sexy?
>>>>My grandmother's house was across the road from what was pretty much a slum. We lived at her house for some time.Every time a fight broke out across the road, my brother and I used to run out to broaden our vocabulary. My sister who is quite a bit older than us heard us mouthing these words during a fight and went and asked my mother what they meant. My mother wanted to yell at us, but couldn't stifle her laughter. Fast forward to adulthood. I was probably prone to throwing around a few choice anglo-saxonisms in my twenties. It is pretty much down to nothing now, unless I am really, really frustrated and definitely not within earshot of women or kids. I attribute the change to having had a lot of face- to- face interaction with all kinds of business professionals at work, which ends up mainstreaming your language. I do hear my kids swear occasionally and almost reflexively  tell them now to clean up their language.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:22 am

These dentists are the next worse guys to the used car dealers....I told you so many times...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:18 am

Kris wrote:
>>>>My grandmother's house was across the road from what was pretty much a slum. We lived at her house for some time.Every time a fight broke out across the road, my brother and I used to run out to broaden our vocabulary. My sister who is quite a bit older than us heard us mouthing these words during a fight and went and asked my mother what they meant. My mother wanted to yell at us, but couldn't stifle her laughter. Fast forward to adulthood. I was probably prone to throwing around a few choice anglo-saxonisms in my twenties. It is pretty much down to nothing now, unless I am really, really frustrated and definitely not within earshot of women or kids. I attribute the change to having had a lot of face- to- face interaction with all kinds of business professionals at work, which ends up mainstreaming your language. I do hear my kids swear occasionally and almost reflexively  tell them now to clean up their language.
LOL! I'm familiar with the cheri lingo in Madras. Nasty stuff. Yes, kids do make you clean up your act. My cousin's daughter who came here to pursue her masters was complaining that her roommate was a real schmuck. When I gently informed her that the word meant the male genital in Yiddish she was visibly embarassed. I laughed and told her not to worry because it generally means a moron. As for me, I do lapse into profanity when I get totally pissed off but try my best not to in front of my family. Thankfully in the healthcare setting most professionals don't swear at all despite the level of trauma, presssure and frustration the job brings.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down