Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When the Patient Is Racist

2 posters

Go down

When the Patient Is Racist Empty When the Patient Is Racist

Post by Rishi Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:57 pm

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/when-the-patient-is-racist/?_r=2

In his thought-provoking essay, Dr. Jain, an attending physician at the Boston V.A. Medical Center, describes an encounter with a hospitalized patient who is upset over a pharmacy regulation. Frustrated that he cannot obtain his usual type of insulin, the patient turns on Dr. Jain. “You peopleare so incompetent,” he says. “Why don’t you go back to India?”

Rishi

Back to top Go down

When the Patient Is Racist Empty Re: When the Patient Is Racist

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Rishi wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/when-the-patient-is-racist/?_r=2

In his thought-provoking essay, Dr. Jain, an attending physician at the Boston V.A. Medical Center, describes an encounter with a hospitalized patient who is upset over a pharmacy regulation. Frustrated that he cannot obtain his usual type of insulin, the patient turns on Dr. Jain. “You peopleare so incompetent,” he says. “Why don’t you go back to India?”
Hahahaha ...I can tell many stories...But, this is my favorite statement and I have the perfect answer to shut anyone's mouth and it has.

What do I tell them...Yeah rite.. I am here in my country....bcz YOU are here because of ME Because stupid Columbus went searching for ME and found this place...So this place actually belongs to me....and you came here because of me.

No one asked me that question bluntly, and in response I also say the above as a half joke...and that has been good enough.

and then I heard this one from a desi. a PURE native american - one of only a handful in US today - refused to talk to any nurse or doctor for 3 days, until he slowly opened up only to the desi, who served as the interlocutor during the patients entire stay. That was a great lesson the native american taught.. the whites.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down