Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name this animal and its significance?

4 posters

Go down

Name this animal and its significance? Empty Name this animal and its significance?

Post by FluteHolder Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Name this animal and its significance? Z

What is the name of this animal in English? It is called as 'thevangu' in Tamil.

Anyone know its specialty/significance?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Name this animal and its significance? Empty Re: Name this animal and its significance?

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Lemur. I don't the significance but I like King Julian.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Name this animal and its significance? Empty Re: Name this animal and its significance?

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Slender Loris?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 pm

I came across a lecture by a well known Tamil Professor who was explaining how this animal was used by ancient Tamils for their travel to Greece/Middle east/searoute/seafaring/shipping during olden days.

Can anyone guess how this animal might have been used?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:51 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I came across a lecture by a well known Tamil Professor who was explaining how this animal was used by ancient Tamils for their travel to Greece/Middle east/searoute/seafaring/shipping during olden days.

Can anyone guess how this animal might have been used?
Is it called the slender loris? Is it because of its sense of smell that seafarers used to find the direction of the land?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:50 pm

It seems this animal when sits always faces West and due to this quality they take this animal in ships to get help on direction. I couldnot  find out any info on google. But this was given by well known Tamil Professor Gnanasambandam.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 pm

FluteHolder wrote:It seems this animal when sits always faces West and due to this quality they take this animal in ships to get help on direction. I couldnot  find out any info on google. But this was given by well known Tamil Professor Gnanasambandam.
This makes no sense. Sailors for centuries have used stars and the sun for direction so why do they need to tote a nocturnal animal for that? You still haven't given the English name for ThEvaangu.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:It seems this animal when sits always faces West and due to this quality they take this animal in ships to get help on direction. I couldnot  find out any info on google. But this was given by well known Tamil Professor Gnanasambandam.
This makes no sense. Sailors for centuries have used stars and the sun for direction so why do they need to tote a nocturnal animal for that? You still haven't given the English name for ThEvaangu.
Slender Loris
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Slender Loris
I said the same thing earlier (check my perious posts) that he didn't respond to.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down