Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a fair assessment of my favorite indian cricketer

4 posters

Go down

a fair assessment of my favorite indian cricketer Empty a fair assessment of my favorite indian cricketer

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:20 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/520923.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

a fair assessment of my favorite indian cricketer Empty Re: a fair assessment of my favorite indian cricketer

Post by charvaka Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Back in the day, I loved Manjrekar for the same reasons that I like Dravid now!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

a fair assessment of my favorite indian cricketer Empty Re: a fair assessment of my favorite indian cricketer

Post by Another Brick Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 am

that's a good article. now i don't at all agree that dravid is not talented, but another takeaway from this article is that manjrekar's writing is also improving by the day. dravid will tour ENG and then AUS before hanging his boots in the following home series.

so, IND won against a C-string WI team? good stuff. i see some of the newcomers are not even able to score against this team. is murali vijay our next kaif? i bet he is. but then who is going to tell that to Chennai Mafia?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Dravid may not be gifted like a Laxman or Sehwag or Tendulkar but he is a classy, highly talented batsman with impeccable technique. His method of batting and his thinking are different. The above three are attacking batsmen by nature, he is a grinder by nature. But he can unfurl some gorgeous looking shots himself - the imperious hook/pull, the delectable flick, the booming on drive with left elbow perpendicular to the ground, the majestic cut shot against spinners using the depth of the crease, the lofted shot for six which he seems to play most unexpectedly, etc to name a few. If you watch a highlight reel of his batting - boundary shots in particular, he looks as elegant as anyone else.
So, to call him a batsman of average talent is a mistake IMO.

That being said, Manjrekar did get it right in couple of areas - Dravid has struggled on account of being a thinking cricketer and he is a good role model for youngsters to emulate.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:38 pm

nevada -- totally agree with you. that adelaide innings he produced about ten years ago is one for the ages. he looked gorgeous. but yes the imperious pull, the flick, and the majestic and punishing square cut off the backfoot are all lovely to watch. it's just that in the era of tendulkar and the ever graceful laxman he looks just a little bit behind them in strokemaking, but i'll take dravid's grind it out dour innings to win or save test matches any day.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down