Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obligatory Times piece on hot buttons like Harvard, high performing women and innate-ness

2 posters

Go down

Obligatory Times piece on hot buttons like Harvard, high performing women and innate-ness Empty Obligatory Times piece on hot buttons like Harvard, high performing women and innate-ness

Post by Petrichor Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:01 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/education/harvard-case-study-gender-equity.html?hp

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Obligatory Times piece on hot buttons like Harvard, high performing women and innate-ness Empty Re: Obligatory Times piece on hot buttons like Harvard, high performing women and innate-ness

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:20 pm

i just get the feeling that science & engineering programs have been navigating this quietly and a lot more efficiently over the decades. i don't know the numbers off hand, but ratios have steadily improved amongst both the sutdent and faculty population. and these changes seldom end up as seven page times articles. somehow philosophy, the humanities, and the business types feel the need to publish every little fart they fart as times pieces.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Obligatory Times piece on hot buttons like Harvard, high performing women and innate-ness Empty Re: Obligatory Times piece on hot buttons like Harvard, high performing women and innate-ness

Post by Petrichor Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:35 pm

STEM leaders have been navigating quietly alright but I wonder if they are making any breakthroughs. The most telling disparity is not so much the access to lucrative careers but simply the scarce pipeline of waiting-for-tenure-track women professors. I doubt if that wonderful graphic that Times carried ("The Tenure Pipeline at HBS") would look different, say, at MIT, Caltech, Johns Hopkins or Purdue.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:36 pm

finally finished reading this piece. business school sounds truly atavistic. there was an article a few days ago on how even a staid discipline like philosophy has its neanderthals. these guys have a lot to learn from scientists and engineers. idiots.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Petrichor wrote:STEM leaders have been navigating quietly alright but I wonder if they are making any breakthroughs. The most telling disparity is not so much the access to lucrative careers but simply the scarce pipeline of waiting-for-tenure-track women professors. I doubt if that wonderful graphic that Times carried ("The Tenure Pipeline at HBS") would look different, say, at MIT, Caltech, Johns Hopkins or Purdue.
in many schools in STEM disciplines, people really try hard to make it worth the while for women to pursue tenure. for example when a woman has a kid, the tenure clock pauses for a year. in practice because of parents who want to help with childcare etc., this turns into an extra year of productivity. the productivity in the paused year -- grants, publications etc. count, but not the time. savvy women have turned taking advantage of this benefit into a science.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down