Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another brick, HK and Merlot

+3
Rekz
Another Brick
Impedimenta
7 posters

Go down

another brick, HK and Merlot Empty another brick, HK and Merlot

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 am

how in the world do you deal with the power cut situation here? or this is exclusively a chennai thing? i am sittin here drenched to the skin and feeling like i am being roasted alive and my mind is not working at all. its only been like 15 minutes..i could go to some mall but it only takes me a good hour on an average to get from point A to point B.

there is the generator but with that, only "essentials" are powered, right?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

another brick, HK and Merlot Empty Re: another brick, HK and Merlot

Post by Another Brick Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am

oh, there are no power cuts in Pune. and i believe there are no power cuts in Mumbai either. load shedding in Pune stopped some 3 years ago when the citizens of pune demanded that they deserve 24 X 7 power because of the tax money they pay.

what grinds my gears in india is the traffic situation. pisses me off completely.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:56 am

Aiyyo you live in a cheap complex (condo). Generators cover everything these days including elevators, acs, geysers, pumps and all sort of household appliances. Actually elevators do not take much load (small motors). Acs and geysers are the only power guzzlers but these days soundless gensets are quite affordable and running on a genset is cheaper than grid power!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 am

guess rekz, sublime, etc are better people to answer this question then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 am

Hey what happened to my profile pic... so the admin did slash them out it seems.

wogay. going pic hunting now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:32 am

Shaaaaaabaaa...Impy irudhalum neega romba thaaan showoff Smile
Chennai is always hot & humid...u got to find a nice breezy location to live..
well power cuts..yes it's bad...only mantra is get used to it...
Take shower twice/thrice a day...find a nice pool ..enjoy swimming...drape colourful sarees ..wear fresh jasmine...visit those crowded beaches...weekends there are many nice pubs/night clubs...chennai security is too good, totally safe for women to roam around atleast till 1am... it's such soulful city...i love the autowalas and their slang Smile ...last but the least Kabaleeshwarar temple...the prasadam at this temple uff too good...sweet pongal & murukku are simply delicious visit this temple 6am on fridays to taste the fresh prasadam...how long is ur vacation? guess it's not too long to be cribbing about power cuts Smile enjoy the heat..have fun!
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:02 pm

rekz aunty, you probably smell gooood with that fresh jasmine. am a fan of jasmine flowers, jasmine tea, jasmine scented handwash, all things jasmine. if you were a young, unwed and undesealed iyengar girl with good looks, I probably would like you too.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:07 pm

Impedimenta wrote: i am sittin here drenched to the skin

another brick, HK and Merlot Worthl10

- jolly old man

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:10 pm

HK, you're barking up the wrong aunty.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:31 pm

hk - hence forth you will be known as the richster of CH. another brick be your sidekick.

rekzie - i am draped in saris, left right and center and i am officially jasmined out. full costume parade here with chiffons, metti,kolusu and jasmine flowers. wait, prasaadam at kapaleeshwarar temple? since when? just visited it today. amazing.

propa - stop picking on me. go find someone your size and age.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Impedimenta wrote:rekzie - i am draped in saris, left right and center and i am officially jasmined out.

another brick, HK and Merlot Worthl10

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
- jolly old man
Santa in summer?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:46 pm

should be santa in rain. but mr. cryptic, what had you meant? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Impedimenta wrote:how in the world do you deal with the power cut situation here? or this is exclusively a chennai thing? i am sittin here drenched to the skin and feeling like i am being roasted alive and my mind is not working at all. its only been like 15 minutes..i could go to some mall but it only takes me a good hour on an average to get from point A to point B.

there is the generator but with that, only "essentials" are powered, right?

>>>> Go in December. As far as the traffic thing goes, outsource the driving to locals (to state the obvious), get your stuff done early in the day or late at night. This may work for on the socializing front, but if there is official stuff, you just have to man up (haha) and do the "needful". I figured out that if you find a couple of nice watering holes for midday and late evening breaks, a lot of the stress is gone.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:should be santa in rain. but mr. cryptic, what had you meant? Laughing
Were you checking whether someone was naughty or nice?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:rekz aunty, you probably smell gooood with that fresh jasmine. am a fan of jasmine flowers, jasmine tea, jasmine scented handwash, all things jasmine. if you were a young, unwed and undesealed iyengar girl with good looks, I probably would like you too.

undesealed as in oily hair and skin?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Kris wrote:As far as the traffic thing goes, outsource the driving to locals (to state the obvious), get your stuff done early in the day or late at night.
Another option I put to work to beat traffic: walk. You also get to notice a lot more of the changes that have happened since your last visit.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Kris wrote:As far as the traffic thing goes, outsource the driving to locals (to state the obvious), get your stuff done early in the day or late at night.
Another option I put to work to beat traffic: walk. You also get to notice a lot more of the changes that have happened since your last visit.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:00 pm

charvaka wrote:

Too much pollution to walk after 8:00 am, atleast in my home town. And this is the area which was a jungle even in the 70s! Always great to have one getaway car and driver at your disposal. Worked great for me this trip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:04 pm

charvaka wrote:

>>>>Since a lot of the stuff I need to do requires zigzagging (in no small part due to admin delays, a lack of a sense of time on the part of bureaucrats), I borrow someone's car - usually my sister's - and get a driver. My dad has a couple of them on retainer. It makes for interesting conversations while driving around. These guys usually are a cornucopia of information on local politics, events, whathaveyou and also know every nook and cranny of the place.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:rekz aunty, you probably smell gooood with that fresh jasmine. am a fan of jasmine flowers, jasmine tea, jasmine scented handwash, all things jasmine. if you were a young, unwed and undesealed iyengar girl with good looks, I probably would like you too.

it's like double negative. not de-sealed?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

it's like double negative. not de-sealed?

Embarassed read it completely wrong the first time... old age dyslexia?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Kris wrote:
charvaka wrote:

>>>>Since a lot of the stuff I need to do requires zigzagging (in no small part due to admin delays, a lack of a sense of time on the part of bureaucrats), I borrow someone's car - usually my sister's - and get a driver. My dad has a couple of them on retainer. It makes for interesting conversations while driving around. These guys usually are a cornucopia of information on local politics, events, whathaveyou and also know every nook and cranny of the place.
Yeah, I usually get the car-with-a-driver option for a few days at least. Having done this the last few trips, I now have my guy who knows all the usual places, without finding them all over again on every trip. The best thing is when you go drinking with friends, you can have a driver waiting to take you home. I wish I had that here.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 pm

can have a driver waiting to take you home. I wish I had that here

>>>>Its called a wife !

*he said hesitantly, despite being confident his wife was not around to see this post

Hahaha

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Haha. I meant a driver who does not "judge" your "self"...
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm

[quote="Impedimenta

propa - stop picking on me. go find someone your size and age.

[/quote]

lol!
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:37 pm

charvaka wrote:I now have my guy who knows all the usual places, without finding them all over again on every trip.

yeah.. me too. They learn the directions to all the friend's houses. This driver that my FIL used to get e'time was awesome. This year I had my mom's driver, but he is the sharpest of them all yet, and learned all the directions pretty quickly. The next visit will go smooth. Amazing how my dad is such a good teacher. 2-3 years ago when I had gone there, this guy was just learning to drive. He worked in my bro's factory, and when my old nanny/cook was finally retiring, bro moved him into our house in the back, for driving and misc chores purposes. He was newly married, and his wife sometimes helps out when needed. Anyway, honest to god, I felt like smacking the back of his head all through those drives, after I was done gasping and safeguarding e'one and e'thing around me at e' wrong move, that's how bad he was then. I seriously told my folks to change him if they want to save their lives and limbs, and seeing my dad's reaction on every wrong turn, his heart too. But dad kept at it and mom defended him too, and this time I noticed, his driving was pretty amazing. Almost flawless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:52 pm

With the exception of maybe one, I found all of them to remember directions really well even from years ago. Many drive for MNC's / call centers in ciites like Chennai. This is presumably true in other big cities as well. There is a considerable amount of knowledge even about the business scene. My brother had this driver for years who was thirsty for information about the outside world. Since my brother used to travel quite a bit in those days, it was a bit jarring to hear the names of european cities roll of this guy's tongue as though he himself had been there.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down