Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Village relative

4 posters

Go down

Village relative Empty Village relative

Post by Rishi Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:20 am

Police say relatives of both the girl and the boy are on the run. Murders like these are chillingly common in villages of Haryana dominated by the diktats of lawless 'Khap panchayats' who forbid marriages within the same village or same caste.

>>> Why do villagers consider someone from the same village his or her relative? This is true for TN also. There was a classmate of mine. He pointed to another fellow and said "he is my relative." I asked him whether the guy was his cousin. "No. He is from the same village as mine." he said.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Village relative Empty Re: Village relative

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:26 am

Inbreeding. They may not be first cousins but there would be some linkage, one or two degrees removed.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:51 am

Rishi wrote:Police say relatives of both the girl and the boy are on the run. Murders like these are chillingly common in villages of Haryana dominated by the diktats of lawless 'Khap panchayats' who forbid marriages within the same village or same caste.

>>> Why do villagers consider someone from the same village his or her relative? This is true for TN also. There was a classmate of mine. He pointed to another fellow and said "he is my relative." I asked him whether the guy was his cousin. "No. He is from the same village as mine." he said.
Calling other people and strangers as relatives happens also in cities, including in your own state TN where the current chief minister is addressed regularly these days as 'amma' (mother) in the news media and even the official meetings.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Inbreeding. They may not be first cousins but there would be some linkage, one or two degrees removed.
Maulana: That inbreeding leads to birth defects is old thingie... Does not mean you go and boink every nephew and niece and cousin. But, the old fear is obsolete. Of course, 5 years from now yet another research could validate the old fear.

In any case, cousins separated by 3 generations should be just fine. This makes sense. bcz in this day and age people hardly know the names of even all their second cousins.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down