Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is sadhguru a cult leader?

4 posters

Go down

Is sadhguru a cult leader? Empty Is sadhguru a cult leader?

Post by Rishi Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:09 pm

"Now what is a cult? Today whatever is considered religion was called a cult yesterday. That is why when Jesus was alive he was called a cultist and crucified. Anyone who did not follow the established religion was punished. I guess people may want to do the same to me but today(laughter) the law doesn’t permit it. Frankly that cult was more meaningful than the existing religion right now because people experienced it then-today its only belief and this man’s interpretation of cult is also based on western interpretation."

# Jesus was indeed trying to form a community of followers with himself as a divine leader, which in today's terms would indeed be called a cult. There is no controversy about it. Why is the Sadhguru so antagonistic to admitting that his community is indeed a cult? Because it would deter future western spiritual tourists. His response to criticism that the labeling is done from a western interpretation is indeed correct. But then, he should be forthright in admitting that from a western interpretation, his community is indeed a cult. (Do note, however, that in between the Sadhguru also does the neat thing of comparing himself to Christ.)

http://harmanjit.blogspot.com/2007/09/sadhguru-jaggi-vasudev-continued.html

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Is sadhguru a cult leader? Empty Re: Is sadhguru a cult leader?

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Rishi wrote:"Now what is a cult? Today whatever is considered religion was called a cult yesterday. That is why when Jesus was alive he was called a cultist and crucified. Anyone who did not follow the established religion was punished. I guess people may want to do the same to me but today(laughter) the law doesn’t permit it. Frankly that cult was more meaningful than the existing religion right now because people experienced it then-today its only belief and this man’s interpretation of cult is also based on western interpretation."

# Jesus was indeed trying to form a community of followers with himself as a divine leader, which in today's terms would indeed be called a cult. There is no controversy about it. Why is the Sadhguru so antagonistic to admitting that his community is indeed a cult? Because it would deter future western spiritual tourists. His response to criticism that the labeling is done from a western interpretation is indeed correct. But then, he should be forthright in admitting that from a western interpretation, his community is indeed a cult. (Do note, however, that in between the Sadhguru also does the neat thing of comparing himself to Christ.)

http://harmanjit.blogspot.com/2007/09/sadhguru-jaggi-vasudev-continued.html
He was unless you expected him to formulate sentences the way you'd like them. It doesn't take much rationale and knowledge of language, both of which are supposedly in abundance with the 'Western Elite', to understand that he is attacking their very basis for classification which makes Christianity an established religion and hence Right but other spiritual groups a cult as it doesn't agree with their prior established conventions and conveniences.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:39 pm

he seems like a made for india deepak chopra.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:he seems like a made for india deepak chopra.
Deepak Chopra is an absolute recycler.. heck he doesn't even have his own examples and language constructs to disseminate the same 'Truths'.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:43 pm

didn't this guy also have some quantum spiel?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:47 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:didn't this guy also have some quantum spiel?
Not afaik. Unless there is a video or article I missed out on.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:47 pm

smArtha wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:didn't this guy also have some quantum spiel?
Not afaik. Unless there is a video or article I missed out on.
listen to this

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 am

Looks like below is the main video or the major part than the previous one. I didn't encounter any quantum or memetic stuff other than what was reported widely in the main stream press around the time of the HB discovery. 

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 am

ayyo. i had to listen to this to recover from that sadhguru's take on flower. don't you think he is rather contemptuous of science and scientists? he asserts that he knew it all! i don't know if he has used QM but a picture fluteholder posted earlier in this thread has terms like "non local quantum smthing" and "memetic algorithm".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:26 am

bw wrote:ayyo. i had to listen to this to recover from that sadhguru's take on flower. don't you think he is rather contemptuous of science and scientists? he asserts that he knew it all!
Not of science as a quest but of the dominant attitude to look at science as a utility. I think he made it clear a few times, if you missed it. Yes he asserts that he knows it and also hints that if you change the direction of pursuit anyone else can know it too.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:32 am

smArtha wrote:
bw wrote:ayyo. i had to listen to this to recover from that sadhguru's take on flower. don't you think he is rather contemptuous of science and scientists? he asserts that he knew it all!
Not of science as a quest but of the dominant attitude to look at science as a utility. I think he made it clear a few times, if you missed it. Yes he asserts that he knows it and also hints that if you change the direction of pursuit anyone else can know it too.
...and yet he preaches the importance of "i don't know". anyway, he comes across pompous to me when he makes such claims but yes, he has hit upon a perfect business model. will grant him credit for that. as for the rest of his mumbo jumbo, whatever works for people!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:38 am

bw wrote:
...and yet he preaches the importance of "i don't know". anyway, he comes across pompous to me when he makes such claims but yes, he has hit upon a perfect business model. will grant him credit for that. as for the rest of his mumbo jumbo, whatever works for people!
What has the importance of 'I don't know' as the best way to start a quest got to do with proclaiming 'I Know' at the end of the quest?!! 
If you generally feel everyone that seems/claims to know more than you is 'pompous' then I'm not surprised that you come across him as thus. Regarding the perfect business model, you are right. By his own admission, human well being and evolution is his only business.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:50 am

smArtha wrote:
bw wrote:
What has the importance of 'I don't know' as the best way to start a quest got to do with proclaiming 'I Know' at the end of the quest?!! 
If you generally feel everyone that seems/claims to know more than you is 'pompous' then I'm not surprised that you come across him as thus. Regarding the perfect business model, you are right. By his own admission, human well being and evolution is his only business.
not more than a nonentity like me - he claimed he knows more than all the atomic/particle scientists of the world. that is nothing but arrogance and stupidity. i am conditioned to believe scientific methods and years of rigorous study and experimentation backed by theories supported by math and accompanied by a healthy dose of skepticism and the willingness to accept that all theories may be disproved than a robe wearing, big bearded guy claiming that he just "knows", relying on his beads to sense things. how does he know he has come to the "end" of his quest? maybe there is a lot he does not know yet.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down