Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H-M synthesis: Muslims lead Durga Pooja celebrations in Nagpur

Go down

H-M synthesis: Muslims lead Durga Pooja celebrations in Nagpur Empty H-M synthesis: Muslims lead Durga Pooja celebrations in Nagpur

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:16 pm

NAGPUR: It's not everyday that people wearing skull caps and Pathan suits arrive at the municipal commissioner's office to seek permission for putting up Durga puja pandal. The commissioner was taken by surprise when two Muslim youths came to his office this year. "We had gone to meet him right after the Friday namaz and were wearing namazi topis. He called us in and asked the purpose of the visit. He couldn't believe when we sought permission for the pandal and said that never in his career had he received such a request from a Muslim," says Mohsin Pathan, who works in the IT sector. 

In the city for the last 38 years, a group of central government employees of Ordnance Factory have been celebrating Navratri festival like a family. Hindu, Muslims, Christians and neo-Buddhist have been all getting together to install a Durga idol since 1976. "People from all over the country work in this factory. We have extended the feeling to this festival also," says Anoop Shrivastav, whose father was a founder member of the Nav Durga Utsav Mandal, Sector 8, Defence. 

"Such has been my involvement since childhood that today I am vice-president of this mandal," says Pathan, who has changed his shift timings in office to be able to perform the evening aarti. 

Though many of those who started this event are not living, such was the bonding that their children continue to carry forward the tradition. "Three decades back installing a Durga idol was not so popular," says Amitabh Apreja, whose father was a part of this celebration. "I work in the private sector but my association with this continues. My wife, who is a Muslim, takes active part," he says. 

"I have always been very inclined towards these rituals," says Jaya Apreja nee Hussanibi Shaikh. Jaya offers namaz too but says performing aarti gives her a feeling of immense joy. "Such rituals are new to me. I do it with devotion and belief," she adds. 

The mandal is also unique for it does not look for sponsorships. "All the funds are generated by us through personal contributions. Even the idol is made by Chetan Marathe, a factory employee," says Shrivastav. "For 22 years, I have been making this idol," says Marathe who works as a labourer in the factory. "This work is special to me. So I make adjustments. If they tell me that this year they will pay me only an 'x' amount, I agree happily." 

Also unique to this mandal is burning the effigy of Ravan on Dusshera. "Between the installation and immersion, we follow all rituals. The highlight is Ravan-dahan," says Dipanjan Das, an active member of the mandal. "For nine nights, we prepare a skeletal structure from bamboo, fill it with dry grass and crackers and dress it in paper clothes," he informs. Nearly 10,000 people from nearby areas gather to watch the burning of demon god, says Das. 

Photo caption: Mohsin Pathan, vice president of the durga mandal performing evening aarti. This mandal is unique for its cosmopolitan composition.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/Muslim-youth-as-vice-president-of-Durga-puja-committee/articleshow/23754936.cms

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis: Muslims lead Durga Pooja celebrations in Nagpur Empty Re: H-M synthesis: Muslims lead Durga Pooja celebrations in Nagpur

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:00 pm

So, when are the Wahabi mullahs issuing a fukwawa against these devil-worshiping kafirish-mians?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis: Muslims lead Durga Pooja celebrations in Nagpur Empty Re: H-M synthesis: Muslims lead Durga Pooja celebrations in Nagpur

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:So, when are the Wahabi mullahs issuing a fukwawa against these devil-worshiping kafirish-mians?
Is it possible for secular Muslims to issue a counter-fatwa against Wahhabis, deobandis, etc? If not, then the process should be initiated. Counter-fatwas should be issued against anyone who dares to come in the way of our culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down