Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why are scientists in India unable to compete with scientists in the west?

3 posters

Go down

why are scientists in India unable to compete with scientists in the west?  Empty why are scientists in India unable to compete with scientists in the west?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:10 am

this is a question that has intrigued me for some time. any thoughts on this?

Back to top Go down

why are scientists in India unable to compete with scientists in the west?  Empty Re: why are scientists in India unable to compete with scientists in the west?

Post by garam_kuta Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:this is a question that has intrigued me for some time. any thoughts on this?

mimic men lacking accountability

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

why are scientists in India unable to compete with scientists in the west?  Empty Re: why are scientists in India unable to compete with scientists in the west?

Post by garam_kuta Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Rashmun wrote:this is a question that has intrigued me for some time. any thoughts on this?

in life sciences, after Raman, there's only GN Ramachandran and nobody else Sad

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 pm

in 'the man who knew infinity', kanigel quotes a european or american mathematician (who he does not name) as saying that Srinivas Ramanujan was the one really great mathematician India has produced in the last thousand years.

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:in 'the man who knew infinity', kanigel quotes a european or american mathematician (who he does not name) as saying that Srinivas Ramanujan was the one really great mathematician India has produced in the last thousand years.

==> That is better than the number of great mathematicians produced by Malaysia and Phillipines.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:12 pm

sambarvada wrote:
Rashmun wrote:in 'the man who knew infinity', kanigel quotes a european or american mathematician (who he does not name) as saying that Srinivas Ramanujan was the one really great mathematician India has produced in the last thousand years.

==> That is better than the number of great mathematicians produced by Malaysia and Phillipines.

--> the point is that at one time we were the world leaders in science and maths. how did we fall so far behind? This leads one to the Needham Question:

“With the appearance on the scene of intensive studies of mathematics, science, technology and medicine in the great non-European civilisations, debate is likely to sharpen, for the failure of China and India to give rise to distinctively modern science while being ahead of Europe for fourteen previous centuries is going to take some explaining”.

http://www.indianscience.org/essays/2-%20NEEDHAMQuestion-DPSameer-edit.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 am

lack of investment in r&d and brain drain. if i got an iit edu i would stay in india and give back, i don't know why they all come here.

pravalika

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down