Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

women with careers

3 posters

Go down

women with careers Empty women with careers

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:01 am

I met my family this past weekend and all the young guys in my family had pretty much this to say:

the women in this family are too engrossed in their work-lives. why don't they get it that family comes first? why do they feel compelled to impress at work? don't they realize the value of money goes down after a certain cut-off?

i responded by saying that we all grew up very poor and having a career was important for my self-worth. i chose the one job that i felt i could do well and it so happens that it is very time-consuming, that just comes with the territory, i work 15 days a month and ideally i'd like to work 10days a month just to avoid burnout but there are no such contracts except for the very senior people in my department.

i also think money and a career are important for independence and these guys say but your dad's money or your husband's money is your money, that is what one means by family. but can i just up and off to say Singapore for a week with their money? obviously not.

anyhow, these guys are between 29-34 and they all came here between the ages of 2 and 17. more and more i come across guys who look great on paper and are actually nice people but they want educated but not too educated women with some job to ease the boredom but not one that's a career.

i don't know how women are going to deal with this. what will you teach your girls?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

women with careers Empty Re: women with careers

Post by nevada Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Do whatever is good for the family without the need to conform to stereotypes. My cousin quit his job and stayed at home for a year to take care of his newborn. His wife has a job that she loves and is career oriented. Another person I know of is a stay at home dad while his wife is a doctor.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:48 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:I met my family this past weekend and all the young guys in my family had pretty much this to say:

the women in this family are too engrossed in their work-lives. why don't they get it that family comes first? why do they feel compelled to impress at work? don't they realize the value of money goes down after a certain cut-off?

i responded by saying that we all grew up very poor and having a career was important for my self-worth. i chose the one job that i felt i could do well and it so happens that it is very time-consuming, that just comes with the territory, i work 15 days a month and ideally i'd like to work 10days a month just to avoid burnout but there are no such contracts except for the very senior people in my department.

i also think money and a career are important for independence and these guys say but your dad's money or your husband's money is your money, that is what one means by family. but can i just up and off to say Singapore for a week with their money? obviously not.

anyhow, these guys are between 29-34 and they all came here between the ages of 2 and 17. more and more i come across guys who look great on paper and are actually nice people but they want educated but not too educated women with some job to ease the boredom but not one that's a career.

i don't know how women are going to deal with this. what will you teach your girls?
Whattt! working part-time is engrossing in work-life. As for the guys do they blurt out Jai Sri Ram incessantly & incoherently.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down