Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat )

Go down

Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat ) Empty Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat )

Post by Guest Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:47 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/worlds-apart-in-a-divided-city/article5278661.ece?homepage=true

Back to top Go down

Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat ) Empty Re: Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat )

Post by ashdoc Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Back from Gandhiland/Modiland Ahmedabad ( written a few years ago  by myself )

Its a half muslim city . Had to stay in a muslim owned hotel as the entire hotel business is in the hands of muslims . That too in a rabidly muslim area---Lal darwaza .

The driver of the car I had hired to show me the city said that before 2002 riots there used to be constant communal riots and curfew had to be constantly imposed---sometimes curfew used to last 15 days !! Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat ) Clear All this was encouraged by the Congress which gave the muslims free leeway to do anything that they pleased including attacking hindus .

The usual story used to be repeated here---muslims were united and strong and hindus were divided due to caste . Any muslim who went to jail for killing hindus used to be treated like a hero and his family was taken care of by his community .

However the 2002 riots occurred and the muslims were given such a hiding that no riot has occurred since 2002 . The driver showed me entire chains of muslim owned establishments that were burnt by hindus . Needless to say he considers Narendra Modi as saviour of Gujarat .

Today thanks to Modi Ahmedabad is a well developed city . There is a science city too---but no muslim comes to visit there .

Saw Sabarmati ashram too . Got my photo clicked with Gandhi---I mean his statue !! Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat ) Clear

Gujju babes are well modernised . Saw some miniskirted ones like I had seen earlier in Baroda .

While I was searching for a hotel I entered a hotel only to see its staff fully dressed with muslim style sherwanis with fierce long beards and with henna applied on hair and beards and wearing skullcaps Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat ) Clear

Immediately made a real fast getaway from there.....Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat ) Clear

While I was getting out of there the manager realised that why I was going out and shouted '' Saaley !! Topi aur dhadi dekh kay darr gaya kya !! " . I fled even faster !! Worlds apart in a divided city: Ahmedabad Muslims flocking to ghettos along city's fringes ( Modi's Gujarat ) Clear

ashdoc

Back to top Go down