Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold digging....

+5
Petrichor
b_A
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
9 posters

Go down

Gold digging.... Empty Gold digging....

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:45 pm

....It has taken a Chaddiwala to prove the stupidity of the superstitious secularists....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Gold digging.... Empty Re: Gold digging....

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:06 pm

in the name raja rao ram bux singh, does bux stand for the name baksh? why do northindians notate some sanskritic sounds so weirdly?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in the name raja rao ram bux singh, does bux stand for the name baksh? why do northindians notate some sanskritic sounds so weirdly?
May be the White Brits/Mogul simplified it and the descendants continued the same with PRIDE.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:in the name raja rao ram bux singh, does bux stand for the name baksh? why do northindians notate some sanskritic sounds so weirdly?
Kind of like zh in Tamil. Zh is quite often used as a syllable in Slavic languages and even has it's own character in Cyrillic.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:27 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Kind of like zh in Tamil. Zh is quite often used as a syllable in Slavic languages and even has it's own character in Cyrillic.
inappropriate analogy. zha is intrinsic to tamil and malayalam. it's not substituting for any sound. substituting the syllable "ux" for "aksh", i.e. अक्स for अक्ष is really weird and sounds slightly hick. uppili i don't think it has anything to do with the mughals or the brits. राम बक्ष सिंह (ram baksh singh) when asked his name probably says ram bux singh (राम बक्स सिंह).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
inappropriate analogy. zha is intrinsic to tamil and malayalam. it's not substituting for any sound.  substituting the syllable "ux" for "aksh", i.e. अक्स for अक्ष is really weird and sounds slightly hick. uppili i don't think it has anything to do with the mughals or the brits. राम बक्ष सिंह (ram baksh singh) when asked his name probably says ram bux singh (राम बक्स सिंह).
U are wrong. It is similar to the how Dixit ( as in Madhuri Dixit ) is spelled and pronounced.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
inappropriate analogy. zha is intrinsic to tamil and malayalam. it's not substituting for any sound.  substituting the syllable "ux" for "aksh", i.e. अक्स for अक्ष is really weird and sounds slightly hick. uppili i don't think it has anything to do with the mughals or the brits. राम बक्ष सिंह (ram baksh singh) when asked his name probably says ram bux singh (राम बक्स सिंह).
Actually 'x' was the perfect candidate to represent the zh sound in Tamil and Malayalam. It is weird that someone came up with zh.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
U are wrong. It is similar to the how Dixit ( as in Madhuri Dixit ) is spelled and pronounced.
when a native english speaker says dixit, it sounds like dik-sit. i believe the phonetically correct romanized notation in deeksh-ith.

edited to add: i believe the last name dixit as well as the name of the clan of tamil brahmins from chidambaram, the dIkshitars (or deeksh-ithars), comes from the sanskrit root दीक्षा (dIksha). see here:
http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=+deeksha&trans=Translate&direction=AU

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:19 pm

if i write fix it, it is usually pronounced fiks it, not fiksh-ith or feeksh-ith.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:if i write fix it, it is usually pronounced fiks it, not fiksh-ith or feeksh-ith.
unless you have some weird indian (bengali? or gujarati?) accent.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:38 pm

One word for you, Il Professor-ai

ghoti
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Did you ever complain about the name of VVS Laxman ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 pm

b_A wrote:
Ha ha ha.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Max should have included 'wannabe-NI's' and 'ingratiators' as well.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
b_A wrote:
Ha ha ha.
PS: RK Laxman too. And Pt.T.V. Ramachandra Dixitar.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 am

b_A wrote:
ouch! maksh in a kaxtamaana spot.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:47 am

bw wrote:
b_A wrote:
Smile firstly, I don't think the name Max is of Sanskrit origin; Secondly, Laxman  (both VVS & L. Sivaramakrishnan) most likely contortion by NI BCCI babus. I remember Propagandhi posing this very question a few years ago as to why VVS Laxman's name is spelled this way.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:15 am

bw wrote:
LoL..aiyO pAvam

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:
b_A wrote:
Smile firstly, I don't think the name Max is of Sanskrit origin; Secondly, Laxman  (both VVS & L. Sivaramakrishnan) most likely contortion by NI BCCI babus. I remember Propagandhi posing this very question a few years ago as to why VVS Laxman's name is spelled this way.
VVS was born into a race of ingratiators:

Laxman was born into a Coastal Andhra Telugu Brahmin family in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.[9] Laxman's parents are, noted Physicians Dr. Shantaram and Dr. Satyabhama.[10] Laxman studied at Little Flower High School, Hyderabad. He then enrolled as a medical student but he decided to follow his heart and chose cricket as a career over medicine. India was one doctor poorer, but Indian cricket found the very very special Laxman.
What about RK Laxman and Pt.T.V. Ramachandra Dixitar?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:21 am

When in lands north or west of Arakkonam, do as the rest of the ingratiators do!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 am

Petrichor wrote:When in lands north or west of Arakkonam, do as the rest of the ingratiators do!
aaaangh..iddhOdA...basin bridge-aE a bit of a stretchU. Razz 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:11 pm

Petrichor wrote:When in lands north or west of Arakkonam, do as the rest of the ingratiators do!
Then what about this ingratiator ?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/34074.html?class=1;type=allround

is he an ingratiator settled in Mylapore ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:51 pm

Fascinating. I am sure Il Professor-ai is aware:

http://hotword.dictionary.com/letter-x/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X#Linguistic_usage
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:58 pm

b_A wrote:

You have to ask his father. Three possibilities: 1. Numerology 2. Long-distance family with father in New Delhi, family in Mylapore-type 3. Ingratiating uncles from beyond Arakkonam.

I have never come across indigenous use of x for ksh amongst Tamils.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:14 pm

Petrichor wrote:
b_A wrote:

You have to ask his father. Three possibilities: 1. Numerology 2. Long-distance family with father in New Delhi, family in Mylapore-type 3. Ingratiating uncles from beyond Arakkonam.

I have never come across indigenous use of x for ksh amongst Tamils.
that's kareetupA... kamaxi, meenaxi and such are totally alien to them...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:39 pm

Laxman is quite common in Telugu speaking people. laxmi is commonly used spelling in ap. lakshman is also not uncommon.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:14 pm

confuzzled dude wrote: Secondly, Laxman  (both VVS & L. Sivaramakrishnan) most likely contortion by NI BCCI babus. I remember Propagandhi posing this very question a few years ago as to why VVS Laxman's name is spelled this way.
we need his birth certificate to verify this, don't we? who 'contorted' rk laxman's name? using "x" instead of "ksh" is fairly common in the south as well. i know quite a few laxminarayanans and laxmis from madras.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:23 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote: Secondly, Laxman  (both VVS & L. Sivaramakrishnan) most likely contortion by NI BCCI babus. I remember Propagandhi posing this very question a few years ago as to why VVS Laxman's name is spelled this way.
we need his birth certificate to verify this, don't we? who 'contorted' rk laxman's name? using "x" instead of "ksh" is fairly common in the south as well. i know quite a few laxminarayanans and laxmis from madras.
My exhaustive research concludes that it is all the effect of the LuX Soap and its commercials and people used X in stead of ksh.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down