Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journalist bullies

4 posters

Go down

Journalist bullies Empty Journalist bullies

Post by Rishi Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Outsiders have no idea of what this all means to Indians. Even a poor, hungry kid could dream for a Math Olympiad, can’t she? In the same way, even a poor hungry nation can participate in a scientific mission, can’t we? We launched a peace project – not a bomb. We didn’t go around fighting a poor country citing the presence of fake WMDs. We didn’t build a vessel to conquer unsuspecting third worlders. We launched a mission to help humanity and the advancement of science. More importantly, we launched it with our money. We didn’t ask for your money nor help. Who are you to patronise us this way?

These journalists are like the rich bullies who enter a poor man’s house and mock at the books kept by the poor man – “You poor people can’t afford to eat rich food and you can afford to buy more books?”

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/india/why-western-criticism-of-indias-mars-mission-is-blatant-racism-1224419.html?utm_source=editorpick&utm_medium=story

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Journalist bullies Empty Re: Journalist bullies

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Rishi wrote:Outsiders have no idea of what this all means to Indians. Even a poor, hungry kid could dream for a Math Olympiad, can’t she? In the same way, even a poor hungry nation can participate in a scientific mission, can’t we? We launched a peace project – not a bomb. We didn’t go around fighting a poor country citing the presence of fake WMDs. We didn’t build a vessel to conquer unsuspecting third worlders. We launched a mission to help humanity and the advancement of science. More importantly, we launched it with our money. We didn’t ask for your money nor help. Who are you to patronise us this way?

These journalists are like the rich bullies who enter a poor man’s house and mock at the books kept by the poor man – “You poor people can’t afford to eat rich food and you can afford to buy more books?”

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/india/why-western-criticism-of-indias-mars-mission-is-blatant-racism-1224419.html?utm_source=editorpick&utm_medium=story

I have a standard answer for this for any A#hole who dares to ask me. "The US is in 14.5 trillion # in debt with a $1 trillion in deficit and 40 million with no insurance and millions in poverty and thousands homeless. Why is it spending 100s of billions on weapons and billions more on Space and Research? if he can answer me then I can give my answer."

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rishi wrote:Outsiders have no idea of what this all means to Indians. Even a poor, hungry kid could dream for a Math Olympiad, can’t she? In the same way, even a poor hungry nation can participate in a scientific mission, can’t we? We launched a peace project – not a bomb. We didn’t go around fighting a poor country citing the presence of fake WMDs. We didn’t build a vessel to conquer unsuspecting third worlders. We launched a mission to help humanity and the advancement of science. More importantly, we launched it with our money. We didn’t ask for your money nor help. Who are you to patronise us this way?

I have a standard answer for this for any A#hole who dares to ask me. "The US is in 14.5 trillion # in debt with a $1 trillion in deficit and 40 million with no insurance and millions in poverty and thousands homeless. Why is it spending 100s of billions on weapons and billions more on Space and Research? if he can answer me then I can give my answer."
>>>That is a valid criticism and a valid response would be we can't afford to stop science till we solve this problem. The author Vishwanathan on the other hand resorts to cheap sarcasm and comes across as someone with a chip on his shoulder. As one of the letters points out, the critiques in this case may be  stupid and condescending but racism is a cheap shot from the author. The one question that sticks out in my mind is why is he dignifying these critiques altogether by responding , with this  shoddy article.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

this reminds me of something from wali's biography of chandra. one of his colleagues jokingly asked another who had just returned from an academic visit to pakistan, why he was poisoning the pakistanis' minds. chandra turned to him and asked him, "you mean relativity is good enough for you and me, but not the pakistanis"?, the implication being his colleague was indulging in a bit of soft racism.

this apparently happened during a lunchtime conversation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this reminds me of something from wali's biography of chandra. one of his colleagues jokingly asked another who had just returned from an academic visit to pakistan, why he was poisoning the pakistanis' minds. chandra turned to him and asked him, "you mean relativity is good enough for you and me, but not the pakistanis"?, the implication being his colleague was indulging in a bit of soft racism.

Are you a follower of Shezada?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 am

who is shezada? this is an anecdote from chandra's biography by kameshwar wali.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:who is shezada? this is an anecdote from chandra's biography by kameshwar wali.
===> You should also read the book about Chandra written by his nieces and nephews on the occasion of his 100th birth annivesary. The man may not have been be a racist but he was certainly an elitist. Whenever his poor and diffident relatives came to see him when he was in Chennai, the man simply refused to meet them. He did not even have the decency and courtesy to come down to the living room and say few kind words to them. Apparently, he looked down on them because they were poor and uneducated.

It is easy to feel charitable towards people who are far away and do not threaten you economically, physically and psychologically.

Human beings are complicated.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Rishi wrote:
===> You should also read the book about Chandra written by his nieces and nephews on the occasion of his 100th birth annivesary.
i don't think i have seen this. can you provide a reference? thanks in advance.

Rishi wrote:Human beings are  complicated.
no question about that.

i wish someone would find the time to write a biography of e.c. george sudarshan, another public intellectual who has long fascinated me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this reminds me of something from wali's biography of chandra. one of his colleagues jokingly asked another who had just returned from an academic visit to pakistan, why he was poisoning the pakistanis' minds. chandra turned to him and asked him, "you mean relativity is good enough for you and me, but not the pakistanis"?, the implication being his colleague was indulging in a bit of soft racism.

Are you a follower of Shezada?
Shehzada is our Prince - Rahul Baba - the eminent scientist and expert who compared dalits plight to escape velocity from Jupiter (or was it Mars?).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:
===> You should also read the book about Chandra written by his nieces and nephews on the occasion of his 100th birth annivesary.
i don't think i have seen this. can you provide a reference? thanks in advance.

Rishi wrote:Human beings are  complicated.
no question about that.

i wish someone would find the time to write a biography of e.c. george sudarshan, another public intellectual who has long fascinated me.
>>>> http://www.amazon.com/S-Chandrasekhar-Man-Of-Science/dp/9350290294

Also in this book, his nephew Ramanth reminisces about Chandra asking what book he was reading. Ramanath was doing M.Sc Physics at MCC at that time i.e late 1960s. He replied to Chandra that he was reading a textbook on quantum Physics. The scientist went on to teach him how to read a text book. I wish someone had taught me that when I was young.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 pm

>>>> The stiff about Chandra and his diffident relatives.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DiEB7J1rX2IC&pg=PT218&dq=s.+chandrasekhar++a+man+of+science&hl=en&sa=X&ei=30CEUuinA_W34APe0YCoCA&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=diffident%20relatives&f=false

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down