Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GK ke bhaiya

2 posters

Go down

GK ke bhaiya Empty GK ke bhaiya

Post by Guest Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 pm

GPS in India.

Are they being used? Any review/experience/update?

Back to top Go down

GK ke bhaiya Empty Re: GK ke bhaiya

Post by Rishi Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
GPS in India.

>>> Is a Tamil version available?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:08 pm

i bhil answer tomorrow. got to talk to older to give a comprehensive reply. but, off-the-cuff, for automobiles, no, we don't use gps in india -- bad roads and many pedestrians guiding you. but i suspect google-maps relies heavily on it (not sure -- will confirm tomorrow) and we rely a lot on google maps for location.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 am

penetration of GPS for navigation in cars is picking up. lots of people use it nowadays. google maps uses your phone's GPS to calibrate how far you are from your target destination. hope that answers your question.

check this: http://www.garmingpsindia.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:59 am

So. Smart phones have google maps. Are they free to use? Do they work well? Why would people still want garmin GPS? Do new cars come fitted with one? What are the charges?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:09 am

yes smart phones let you browse and thus access google maps. my android phone tells me the distance i am from, say a restaurant, when i search for it. i thought you knew this. garmin GPS is something different. it gives you a moving pictorial of the terrain/highway and voice directions. besides, their databases are different. i would imagine garmin to be more accurate than google maps (which is user generated and not to scale).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:32 am

no, cars do not come with a GPS navigation kit here (not to my knowledge anyway). garmin is your best bet. i don't know the price -- check their site.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 am

Rishi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
GPS in India.

>>> Is a Tamil version available?
Oh, garmin is a hindian device -- only Hindi and English are supported.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 am

Maps on smart phones here can completely work like gps, showing ur location and track you along a direction. The one on iphone have no voice (or maybe I have not set it up - will check), I think android ones have voice too. Besides, I read somewhere, and maybe it was an old link, that in India you have to pay for each text of direction, so people avoid using directions.

When bro had visited us, he had completely fallen in love with my GPS waali. I was thinking of getting him something similar, but want to consider the practicality of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:35 am

Sorry I have not used g-maps for directions as you describe. I just spot the target on the map, move the map around with my thumb and mentally plot the route from my house. All that is, of course, free.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:00 am

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:Sorry I have not used g-maps for directions as you describe. I just spot the target on the map, move the map around with my thumb and mentally plot the route from my house. All that is, of course, free.
On a roadtrip to Goa this time, I used Google Maps extensively. I found it immensely helpful not only on the highway but also in locating places in Goa. While driving back, I missed a turn and kept driving about 20 mins. G-Maps helped me retrace my way back to the correct highway.

With smartphones getting so good, I don't know why anyone would buy a GPS. For what it's worth, I hear TomTom is quite popular.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down