Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richard Eaton: The claim that thousands of temples were destroyed across India is a myth

Go down

Richard Eaton: The claim that thousands of temples were destroyed across India is a myth Empty Richard Eaton: The claim that thousands of temples were destroyed across India is a myth

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:12 am

You also examined at length the destruction of temples in this period. What did you find?
The temple discourse is huge in India and this is something that needs to be historicised. We need to look at the contemporary evidence. What do the inscriptions and contemporary chronicles say? What was so striking to me when I went into that project after the destruction of the Babri Masjid was that nobody had actually looked at the contemporary evidence. People were just saying all sorts of things about thousands of temples being destroyed by medieval Muslim kings. I looked at inscriptions, chronicles and foreign observers’ accounts from the 12th century up to the 18th century across South Asia to see what was destroyed and why. The big temples that were politically irrelevant were never harmed. Those that were politically relevant — patronised by an enemy king or a formerly loyal king who becomes a rebel — only those temples are wiped out. Because in the territory that is annexed to the State, all the property is considered to be under the protection of the State. The total number of temples that were destroyed across those six centuries was 80, not many thousands as is sometimes conjectured by various people. No one has contested that and I wrote that article 10 years ago.

http://www.tehelka.com/its-a-myth-that-muslim-rulers-destroyed-thousands-of-temples/

Back to top Go down

Richard Eaton: The claim that thousands of temples were destroyed across India is a myth Empty Re: Richard Eaton: The claim that thousands of temples were destroyed across India is a myth

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:14 am

Rashmun wrote:You also examined at length the destruction of temples in this period. What did you find?
The temple discourse is huge in India and this is something that needs to be historicised. We need to look at the contemporary evidence. What do the inscriptions and contemporary chronicles say? What was so striking to me when I went into that project after the destruction of the Babri Masjid was that nobody had actually looked at the contemporary evidence. People were just saying all sorts of things about thousands of temples being destroyed by medieval Muslim kings. I looked at inscriptions, chronicles and foreign observers’ accounts from the 12th century up to the 18th century across South Asia to see what was destroyed and why. The big temples that were politically irrelevant were never harmed. Those that were politically relevant — patronised by an enemy king or a formerly loyal king who becomes a rebel — only those temples are wiped out. Because in the territory that is annexed to the State, all the property is considered to be under the protection of the State. The total number of temples that were destroyed across those six centuries was 80, not many thousands as is sometimes conjectured by various people. No one has contested that and I wrote that article 10 years ago.

http://www.tehelka.com/its-a-myth-that-muslim-rulers-destroyed-thousands-of-temples/

Revati Laul, the tehelka journalist who conducted this interview, has resigned in protest at Tejpal's antics.

Back to top Go down