Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leading questions

4 posters

Go down

leading questions Empty leading questions

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

leading questions Empty Re: leading questions

Post by rawemotions Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes Minister / Yes prime minister are the best comedy serials produced in Britain. They are a joy to watch, especially Bernard Wooley's questions and Humphrey Appleby's pedagogical answers.  Amazon Prime used to offer these for free. 

The team should go beyond the Yes Prime minister series, and produce more episodes on the same lines.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:17 pm

except the actors who played two of the three lead characters have passed on. only derek fowlds is still alive. nigel hawthorne is brilliant. besides yes (prime) minister i liked him in the madness of king george as well.

they started a redoing of the original episodes in 2013. i watched a couple of them and couldn't really get into it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:23 pm

What do you mean by redo ? Can you post the Links to them. Do you mean re-master them (slick modern technology to cast them into celluloid) or redo them with new actors. The existing ones in Amazon prime may not be HD quality but it is still ok.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:42 pm

rawemotions wrote:What do you mean by redo ? Can you post the Links to them. Do you mean re-master them (slick modern technology to cast them into celluloid) or redo them with new actors. The existing ones in Amazon prime may not be HD quality but it is still ok.
new actors. a few episodes are available on youtube. i didn't like them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:59 pm

some classics should be left alone. this is why i haven't watched any of the new fangled sherlock holmes. i can never accept anyone besides jeremy brett as holmes. same with humphrey appleby.

do watch the madness of king george. for those who like hawthorne as sir humphrey appleby, do watch the madness. he really brings a stage quality to his acting.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:40 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:some classics should be left alone. this is why i haven't watched any of the new fangled sherlock holmes. i can never accept anyone besides jeremy brett as holmes. same with humphrey appleby.

do watch the madness of king george. for those who like hawthorne as sir humphrey appleby, do watch the madness. he really brings a stage quality to his acting.
You are such a puritan, Il Professor-ai. You never even gave the modern version of Sherlock a chance. Maybe you should read a few reviews and try it.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:36 pm

i am very slow to develop likes and dislikes, but once i do i stick with what i like.

i rewatched the madness of king george over the thanksgiving break. nigel hawthorne's performance as the mad king is truly breathtaking in the scope of emotions he displays. this is kind of like what sivaji ganesan attempted to do but failed miserably nearly always because of his propensity for overdoing things and yelling. it's sad that he was recognized very late in life and we on this side of the pond didn't get to see him much. wish i could have watched him on stage. another role he apparently portrayed beautifully on stage is that of c.s.lewis, but when it came time to pick an actor for the movie version they went with anthony hopkins. he was always losing out to someone more famous despite his obviously prodigious talent.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Talking of Sivaji:

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:49 pm

these british movie professionals -- there is something  fundamentally different about them. they just seem more intelligent, well read, and multi dimensional. a far cry from the holly- and bolly- types. the only desi guy in that league is naseeruddin shah.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:these british movie professionals -- there is something  fundamentally different about them. they just seem more intelligent, well read, and multi dimensional. a far cry from the holly- and bolly- types. the only desi guy in that league is naseeruddin shah.
+1

most of brit actors are serious actors and have done theatre - bolly/holly mostly pick actors not based on acting skills but looks and connections.

on another note, the new sherlock series is quite fun. i was very suspicious of it too but found that it is done in a slick, humorous way and there is no real corruption of the original. it was started as a spoof and does a good job of it. my kids love it and except for some scenes in one episode, it is quite appropriate and enjoyable for kids.

check out the original "house of cards" and "tinker tailor soldier spy". you may enjoy them.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:14 pm

will do. i take it you mean the older british versions. i understand there have been american remakes of these things.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:will do. i take it you mean the older british versions. i understand there have been american remakes of these things.
yes. the original british ones. "house of cards" trilogy and TTSS both have ian richardson. i watched the american(netflix) version of "house of cards" too featuring kevin spacey but there really is no comparison, imo.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:48 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:will do. i take it you mean the older british versions. i understand there have been american remakes of these things.
yes. the original british ones. "house of cards" trilogy and TTSS both have ian richardson. i watched the american(netflix) version of "house of cards" too featuring kevin spacey but there really is no comparison, imo.
you might think that mattie, i couldn't possibly comment. haha.

this is brilliant. i am hooked. watched the first episode. thanks for suggesting it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
you might think that mattie, i couldn't possibly comment. haha.

this is brilliant. i am hooked. watched the first episode. thanks for suggesting it.
i wasn't aware of the british version until HA here told me about it. i watched all 3 parts. it does get a bit fantastic at places but the acting is simply awesome. he is so wicked!

TTSS is also brilliant.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:38 pm

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:05 pm

will watch TTSS after this. i am going to watch this a little at a time like savoring a great novel. house of cards is shot through with so much shakespeare, mostly macbeth as far as i can tell so far -- after life's fitful fever he sleeps well! is it a good bet that the american remake has no such thing? i love it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:will watch TTSS after this. i am going to watch this a little at a time like savoring a great novel. house of cards is shot through with so much shakespeare, mostly macbeth as far as i can tell so far -- after life's fitful fever he sleeps well! is it a good bet that the american remake has no such thing? i love it.
it draws from richard III as well. i don't believe the american version had any direct quotes from shakespeare. make sure you get the alec guinness version of TTSS, not the recent movie. "smiley's people" is a sequel to that. i watched that as well.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:09 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/arts/television/alessandra-stanley-sizes-up-2013-tv-fare.html wrote:Netflix offered a version of “Scandal” in ‘House of Cards,’ a Washington soap opera for the downloading elite that was more sleek and sophisticated on the surface but was really just as juicy and lowbrow as Shonda Rhimes’s drama on ABC.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down