Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

obamacare - deadline day is here

3 posters

Go down

obamacare - deadline day is here Empty obamacare - deadline day is here

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:25 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/30/politics/obamacare-website/index.html?c=&page=1

Luke cheng sáys he does not know how to build a 80% solution software. (Page 3 on my mobile).

The deadline is here. Can obama deliver this time. My sense is people will give the website a chance if it is better than October fiasco. But it has to be a lot better. Few easily solvable glitches will be ignored. Another major failure could be disastrous for obamacare and obama's reputation.

My opinion on obamacare:
An advanced nation such as us must have healthcare available to all. Since it is an expensive service, there must be some limits. Widely available universal primary and preventive care is a must. Wide dissemination of life style impact on health. But earned credits for expensive treatments and some element of private entrepreneurial participation in service and knowledge dissemination. Budgetary cap on govt expenditures to live within revenue limitations.

Obamacare attempts to do few of these but comes at the worst budgetary time making it immensely unpopular. Obama used his political capital to push it through. Give him points for courage. But he badly fumbled implementation in a clearly predictable area of website. It damaged his management and technical image. If he gets it right now he could recover and do well. Otherwise this will finish his presidency.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

obamacare - deadline day is here Empty Re: obamacare - deadline day is here

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:08 pm

"Since it is an expensive service, there must be some limits"

That's the 800-pound gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about let alone tackling it. Why is it the most expensive service when compared to any of the industrialized nations. Are we getting that much better service than say Germans?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:15 pm

and let's hope that Federal govt. Senior management personnel gotten over their VmWare obsession, it's synonymous with cost cutting but I doubt (as is proved) it can't handle mission critical/high volume systems.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:21 pm

truthbetold wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/30/politics/obamacare-website/index.html?c=&page=1

Luke cheng sáys he does not know how to build a 80% solution software. (Page 3 on my mobile).

The deadline is here. Can obama deliver this time. My sense is people will give the website a chance if it is better than October fiasco. But it has to be a lot better.  Few easily solvable glitches will be ignored. Another major failure could be disastrous for obamacare and obama's reputation.
I would have made the employers (for the unisured employees), social security offices (unemployed and those on govt dole) agents to file PAPER forms. That would have been a mch better option rather than expecting the "general population" that is borderline literate and net saavy to deal on their own as individuals.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
truthbetold wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/30/politics/obamacare-website/index.html?c=&page=1

The deadline is here. Can obama deliver this time. My sense is people will give the website a chance if it is better than October fiasco. But it has to be a lot better.  Few easily solvable glitches will be ignored. Another major failure could be disastrous for obamacare and obama's reputation.
I would have made the employers (for the unisured employees), social security offices (unemployed and those on govt dole) agents to file PAPER forms.  That would have been a mch better option rather than expecting the "general population" that is borderline literate and net saavy to deal on their own as individuals.
In hindsight, hiring 1000's of contractors to sign them up might have been a cheaper solution than this f'ed up misadventure.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Uppili and Cd,

A human solution that you are suggesting should have been used. My guess obama was probably constrained by budget allocation for that aspect.

Uppili has one more valid point. Most of the beneficiaries are probably computer Literacy challenged. A human bridge would have helped and also identified the nuances in the computer software requirements.

You cannot automate something you do not understand. 101 of automation.

What is vmware obsession?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:16 pm

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/us/politics/inside-the-race-to-rescue-a-health-site-and-obama.html?from=global.home

A detailed article on the train wreck called obamacare.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down