Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mangalyaan on a trajectory to Mars

+2
truthbetold
indophile
6 posters

Go down

Mangalyaan on a trajectory to Mars Empty Mangalyaan on a trajectory to Mars

Post by indophile Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:05 am

ISRO successfully placed the Mars Orbiter spacecraft on a trajectory to Mars. Right on schedule!

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/372124/mars-orbiter-successfully-placed-mars.html

indophile

Back to top Go down

Mangalyaan on a trajectory to Mars Empty Re: Mangalyaan on a trajectory to Mars

Post by truthbetold Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks info for posting.

Sevaji,
Congratulations.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:39 am

truthbetold wrote:Thanks info for posting.

Sevaji,
Congratulations.
for what? He did not work on that project.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:44 am

indophile wrote:ISRO successfully placed the Mars Orbiter spacecraft on a trajectory to Mars. Right on schedule!

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/372124/mars-orbiter-successfully-placed-mars.html
Given that the Japanese Mars Orbiter failed entering Martian Orbit, the four planned course corrections reaching Mars within the window, and the entry into Martian orbit are the next milestones. Hope they have enough fuel left for all the above.

One general question, how does ISRO/NASA or any spacecraft know its position  w.r.to the Solar system, once they cross the earth orbit? They can figure out the distance by sending a signal and measuring the time interval for it to return. But how do they know the exact position ? May be they use relative time difference in the signals the orbiter receives from multiple satellites orbiting the earth and earth itself (we need atleast 3) at different locations and use triangulation ? But even then the coverage would be restricted only to the field of view of these satellites and Earth.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:43 pm

rawemotions wrote:
indophile wrote:ISRO successfully placed the Mars Orbiter spacecraft on a trajectory to Mars. Right on schedule!

Given that the Japanese Mars Orbiter failed entering Martian Orbit, the four planned course corrections reaching Mars within the window, and the entry into Martian orbit are the next milestones. Hope they have enough fuel left for all the above.

One general question, how does ISRO/NASA or any spacecraft know its position  w.r.to the Solar system, once they cross the earth orbit? They can figure out the distance by sending a signal and measuring the time interval for it to return. But how do they know the exact position ? May be they use relative time difference in the signals the orbiter receives from multiple satellites orbiting the earth and earth itself (we need atleast 3) at different locations and use triangulation ? But even then the coverage would be restricted only to the field of view of these satellites and Earth.
Good question. 
You send a radio signal to the satellite or space probe (e.g. MOM) from Earth and wait for the signal to bounce off the satellite (probe) and return to Earth. By knowing the total time (back and forth for the signal) elasped (T), you can calculate the distance of the space probe from Earth (T*c/2, c= speed of light or signal). You repeat this process a number of times (let's a say 20), and gather (20) data points (locations) in space for space probe at 20 different times (average of when you send and receive the signal). You can then create a plot (time versus location) for the space probe, giving you the trajectory of the probe (including its speed in space). From this info. about trajectory of probe, you extrapolate where the spacecraft (probe) will be in 9 or 10 months. You may even make corrections to the path (trajectory, orbit) of probe if necessary.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:23 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Given that the Japanese Mars Orbiter failed entering Martian Orbit, the four planned course corrections, reaching Mars within the window, and the entry into Martian orbit are the next milestones. Hope they have enough fuel left for all the above.

Good question. 
You send a radio signal to the satellite or space probe (e.g. MOM) from Earth and wait for the signal to bounce off the satellite (probe) and return to Earth. By knowing the total time (back and forth for the signal) elasped (T), you can calculate the distance of the space probe from Earth (T*c/2, c= speed of light or signal). You repeat this process a number of times (let's a say 20), and gather (20) data points (locations) in space for space probe at 20 different times (average of when you send and receive the signal). You can then create a plot (time versus location) for the space probe, giving you the trajectory of the probe (including its speed in space). From this info. about trajectory of probe, you extrapolate where the spacecraft (probe) will be in 9 or 10 months. You may even make corrections to the path (trajectory, orbit) of probe if necessary.

I am sorry but I did not follow. You get an estimate of the distance each time you measure the time interval, but even if I get it 20 more times for a traveling object, how do I use that to get an unambiguous reading of its location? If I am at the centre of a circle/sphere, I can think of many points in space all around the centre, which will satisfy the measured time interval.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:29 am

rawemotions wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Given that the Japanese Mars Orbiter failed entering Martian Orbit, the four planned course corrections, reaching Mars within the window, and the entry into Martian orbit are the next milestones. Hope they have enough fuel left for all the above.

Good question. 

I am sorry but I did not follow. You get an estimate of the distance each time you measure the time interval, but even if I get it 20 more times for a traveling object, how do I use that to get an unambiguous reading of its location? If I am at the centre of a circle/sphere, I can think of many points in space all around the centre, which will satisfy the measured time interval.
You carry out the full analysis of the spacecraft's trajectory using these data points (time v/s location), in this case for an object (MOM) traveling in the heliocentric (gravitational) field. You don't use these data points arbitrarily to assume a circle, ellipse or a sphere, implying that the extrapolation has to be systematic / scientific (while taking all the forces acting on the spacecraft into consideration).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 am

rawemotions wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Good question. 

i don't know how this is done, but i have a hunch that they make use of the doppler effect.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Good question. 

i don't know how this is done, but i have a hunch that they make use of the doppler effect.
The total Doppler effect may therefore result from motion of the source, motion of the observer, or motion of the medium.

>>> Can you please give me an example of where the motion of medium is involved?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
rawemotions wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
rawemotions wrote:Given that the Japanese Mars Orbiter failed entering Martian Orbit, the four planned course corrections, reaching Mars within the window, and the entry into Martian orbit are the next milestones. Hope they have enough fuel left for all the above.

Good question. 

The total Doppler effect may therefore result from motion of the source, motion of the observer, or motion of the medium.

>>> Can you please give me an example of where the motion of medium is involved?
Dopper effect involves the wave phenomenon, which can be influenced by the medium (its density etc.) transmitting the waves.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down