Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pork Vs Beef

5 posters

Go down

Pork Vs Beef Empty Pork Vs Beef

Post by Rishi Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Like many people ask, would you have raised your voice if there was a festival for eating pork? That also was connected to one particular religion.

I think everybody is conflating this argument with pork and beef. When you are talking about beef and pork, you are talking about two different issues. It is about food choices. Muslims are prohibited from eating pork. It is something they should not do in their religion.

Here, some Hindus decide whether we should eat meat or not. It is the imposition of choice on others by a group of Hindus.

The history of beef is associated with untouchability as even among the Dalits, there are sub-castes and they rank each other on hierarchy and say about some, that is a beef-eating-caste! It meant they are lesser in the hierarchy.

Pork doesn't have this hierarchy history. By eating beef, you are challenging this caste hierarchy.

I don't know why they make it into a Hindu-Muslim issue. Maybe then, it brings in more eye balls and becomes more sensitive. They are just making counter arguments on an issue like beef eating.

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/they-dont-like-women-who-are-flamboyant-about-sexuality/20120521.htm

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Pork Vs Beef Empty Re: Pork Vs Beef

Post by Kris Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Rishi wrote:Like many people ask, would you have raised your voice if there was a festival for eating pork? That also was connected to one particular religion.

I think everybody is conflating this argument with pork and beef. When you are talking about beef and pork, you are talking about two different issues. It is about food choices. Muslims are prohibited from eating pork. It is something they should not do in their religion.

Here, some Hindus decide whether we should eat meat or not. It is the imposition of choice on others by a group of Hindus.

The history of beef is associated with untouchability as even among the Dalits, there are sub-castes and they rank each other on hierarchy and say about some, that is a beef-eating-caste! It meant they are lesser in the hierarchy.

Pork doesn't have this hierarchy history. By eating beef, you are challenging this caste hierarchy.

I don't know why they make it into a Hindu-Muslim issue. Maybe then, it brings in more eye balls and becomes more sensitive. They are just making counter arguments on an issue like beef eating.

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/they-dont-like-women-who-are-flamboyant-about-sexuality/20120521.htm
>>> At first I thought this was a survey on which tastes better (answer: pepperoni--hahaha), but that aside, I am confused by this woman's convenient sidestepping of the issue. Is she suggesting that the pork prohibition is one that was arrived at by the entire muslim world voting unanimously on it? That there was no grand edict handed down by the religion's founders against this?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:40 am

bw wrote:i didn't read the whole article but isn't beef not eaten because cow is considered divine and doesn't it apply to all practising hindus? 

>> It may have evolved that way, but vegetarianism itself may have started out as a move to compete with the ahimsa faiths. That is just my guess. There is al kinds of reference to meat eating in the religious literature.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:07 am

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:i didn't read the whole article but isn't beef not eaten because cow is considered divine and doesn't it apply to all practising hindus? 

>> It may have evolved that way, but vegetarianism itself may have started out as a move to compete with the ahimsa faiths. That is just my guess. There is al kinds of reference to meat eating in the religious literature.
Kris, I don't understand the first sentence of your comment. Who was competing with whom? Please clarify.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:08 am

Rishi wrote: By eating beef, you are challenging this caste hierarchy.
Hey I like this noble intent attributed to my love for beef. Yes, I scarf down beef pepper fry or the beef roast with malabar parota to sock one in the eye to the caste system. Boo ya!

PS: I love pork as well. I wonder what noble cause that serves.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 am

Kris wrote:

Nah. The Buddha himself apparently relished meat. Hindu vegetarianism IMO was an economic decision coopted by religion. With shrinking pastures, a live cow was worth much more than a dead one.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:45 am

Merlot,
Your love for pork is platonic or do you eat pig?

Occassionallt I find the not so easy to eat beef in some preparations. That turns me off beef for a long period of 48 hours. Pork is softer but needs some spicing up.
Rarely do I get a chance to make beef andpork indianstyle.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down