Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pension or 401K

+4
southindian
truthbetold
Hellsangel
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
8 posters

Go down

Pension or 401K Empty Pension or 401K

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Which is better - in the wake of Detroit bankruptcy (If you did not know the firemen and policemen and others lost their pensions that they paid into).

With many pension plans near bankruptcy -is Pension (the one that pays your entire life after 20/25 yrs of service) still worth it?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Pension or 401K Empty Re: Pension or 401K

Post by Hellsangel Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Your Holiness who knows it all, you should know the answer to this.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Your Holiness who knows it all, you should know the answer to this.
The jobs that provide iboth the benefits. I know quite a few and they are in the bestest position (add to that their SS checks when they become eligible).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Pensions are a disappearing benefit. Most corporates switched away from them. Legacy pension scheme are still around for old timers.
state govt, toll booth type organizations, police, teachers and few others still have pensions. But almost all of them are underfunded and in trouble.
Now that does not mean 401k is perfect. Twice in the last decade 2000 and 2008, 401k were destroyed by market fluctuations.
So you need to plan well and pray regularly.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Which is better - in the wake of Detroit bankruptcy (If you did not know the firemen and policemen and others lost their pensions that they paid into).

With many pension plans near bankruptcy -is Pension (the one that pays your entire life after 20/25 yrs of service) still worth it?
Here's a story I love to tell. Worked for a company which had a Pension Plan I did not know off for ALL the time I worked with them (6 years). I was a bachelor then and never looked at my paycheck deductions in those days. When I was the leaving the company I was informed about total Pension amount and monthly pension I could be drawing after retirement. All forgotten. The company closed their pension fund a couple of years later and I was pleasently surprised to get a big lump sum amount. I was very surprised getting that free money and felt no risk in investing that money in the market. Smile I'm making risky though informed Fund/Share investments with over 45%+ average returns each year for some years now. I'd suggest to invest yourself only if you know how to manage, else leave it to professionals.

More and more companies are closing their pension funds and I'm expecting Pension funds to dissapear from most workplaces in future. Pension funds are too expensive to maintain in today's day and age, by most companies/work places.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:00 pm

45% averaged across which period? are you a hedge fund manager?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Sorry Max. Can't disclose much. The period is span of years since I started investing after I got the lump sum. 45% is the average in all the years. The maximum return was 80% in one year. The minimum was 26%. All I can say is, I make risky but informed investments and identify blood on the street in regards to a stock and/or fund family.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 pm

southindian wrote:Sorry Max. Can't disclose much. The period is span of years since I started investing after I got the lump sum. 45% is the average in all the years. The maximum return was 80% in one year. The minimum was 26%. All I can say is, I make risky but informed investments and identify blood on the street in regards to a stock and/or fund family.
Bullshit!

Even I have not been able to make 45% ave over several years. 

The only possibility is that you received your pension in 2009 and through a stroke of luck, you got into the market at just the right time. But I highly doubt that.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:31 pm

i am not asking you to disclose what securities you have in your portfolio or even what kind of securities they are. i am also not asking you how long you typically hold them. it's a simple question really and you won't be giving anything away by answering a simple question - over what period is your 45% returns averaged. you don't even have to disclose the beginning or the end date of the period. i am looking for an answer like 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 pm

46%per year is dreamlike. Why don, t you sell us your formula.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:46 pm

harharmahadev wrote:
southindian wrote:Sorry Max. Can't disclose much. The period is span of years since I started investing after I got the lump sum. 45% is the average in all the years. The maximum return was 80% in one year. The minimum was 26%. All I can say is, I make risky but informed investments and identify blood on the street in regards to a stock and/or fund family.
Bullshit!

Even I have not been able to make 45% ave over several years. 

The only possibility is that you received your pension in 2009 and through a stroke of luck, you got into the market at just the right time. But I highly doubt that.

Sir... Sir please come down from your high... please

My neck hurts looking up to you.

How can I discuss finance with you... Sir... if you make so many guesses.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am not asking you to disclose what securities you have in your portfolio or even what kind of securities they are. i am also not asking you how long you typically hold them. it's a simple question really and you won't be giving anything away by answering a simple question - over what period is your 45% returns averaged. you don't even have to disclose the beginning or the end date of the period. i am looking for an answer like 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years.
Sorry, I can't give a timeline but can say that investments began in the large part of last decade. I use all kinds of Financial Instruments, some are risky but give high returns.

Gurus like Har har, MD, Propa can tell you more on how to invest. If you follow smaller gurus like Buffett or Pabrai, their investments return 20% to 26% for investors each year, but there are Hedge Funds, that have the potential to give upto 3 digit returns for HNW clients. There are quite a few of those around New York, Connecticut which just don't show a 45 degree Madoff return. Check them out. Google helps.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:00 pm

South Indian,
No hedge fund has claimed to give 3 figure returns consistently. An occassional year. Yes. May be two years.
I am sure all of us made a 100% gain once in a way but consistent 40% is a dream for me.
Do you know of tools other than options, futures, leveraged errs that can give high returns in short term?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:07 pm

southindian wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i am not asking you to disclose what securities you have in your portfolio or even what kind of securities they are. i am also not asking you how long you typically hold them. it's a simple question really and you won't be giving anything away by answering a simple question - over what period is your 45% returns averaged. you don't even have to disclose the beginning or the end date of the period. i am looking for an answer like 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years.
Sorry, I can't give a timeline but can say that investments began in the large part of last decade. I use all kinds of Financial Instruments, some are risky but give high returns.

Gurus like Har har, MD, Propa can tell you more on how to invest. If you follow smaller gurus like Buffett or Pabrai, their investments return 20% to 26% for investors each year, but there are Hedge Funds, that have the potential to give upto 3 digit returns for HNW clients. There are quite a few of those around New York, Connecticut which just don't show a 45 degree Madoff return. Check them out. Google helps.
as i said i didn't ask you for a timeline, i asked you for a time period which you have now given me.  i also explicitly said i wasn't asking you to disclose your investments. i am well aware how buffett invests. his methods are hard to reproduce. i don't just follow buffett. i invest with him.  we'll just have to accept that you're a financial genius to get a 45% average (after taxes i assume) over the last ten years. good for you. i am happy if i do slightly better than the market. don't have the stomach for anything more risky than that.

here are the top hedge funds for 2013 (one year): http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/hedge-fund-returns-in-2013-the-top-20-250389/

you've done what #1 has done in one year, averaged over 10 years. if you're not already a hedgefund manager you should be one. otherwise you're wasting your talents.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:44 pm

It is certainly possible with options but risky. I very much doubt if you would get 45% returns with just stocks and that too over multiple years.

If not options, the one possibility is that you invested a big chunk of your portfolio in some stock like Amazon which went 300% in three-four years and thus on an average you still got 45% for the entire amount, factoring in other losses.

Good going Southindian and congratulations. Happy for you. 

May be someday you would provide some meaningful tips based on your record!

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 pm

SI, great. You must be trading rather investing in yellow metal or any associated securities? Well done!

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 pm

[quote="southindian"]
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

I was very surprised getting that free money and felt no risk in investing that money in the market. :)I'm making risky though informed Fund/Share investments with over 45%+ average returns each year for some years now. I'd suggest to invest yourself only if you know how to manage, else leave it to professionals.
so..so....Now you are also a Looter...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:35 am

Uppili Saar vadu,
success is not the same as looting.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content