Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why girls lose interest in math earlier

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

why girls lose interest in math earlier Empty why girls lose interest in math earlier

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:23 pm

http://tvoparents.tvo.org/video/196132/why-are-girls-dropping-out-math
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

why girls lose interest in math earlier Empty Re: why girls lose interest in math earlier

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:26 pm

didn't read the link... well you are lucky you got your girls interested in math. mine is a lost cause. she won't be taking calculus in high school, and to be honest, I am mighty glad. Can't have her go through with more torture.

Back to top Go down

why girls lose interest in math earlier Empty Re: why girls lose interest in math earlier

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:didn't read the link... well you are lucky you got your girls interested in math. mine is a lost cause. she won't be taking calculus in high school, and to be honest, I am mighty glad. Can't have her go through with more torture.

i have struggled hard, but happy with the outcome. it has taken an enormous amount of work and energy on my part. but after a point it becomes easy as natural curiosity and the taste for getting the right answer takes over.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:didn't read the link... well you are lucky you got your girls interested in math. mine is a lost cause. she won't be taking calculus in high school, and to be honest, I am mighty glad. Can't have her go through with more torture.

i have struggled hard, but happy with the outcome. it has taken an enormous amount of work and energy on my part. but after a point it becomes easy as natural curiosity and the taste for getting the right answer takes over.

she's just not a math person. she loves science/bio/etc, but math is not her thing. She's exactly like my sis. they can do it if they have too, but zero interest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I disagree with the video. He is saying exactly the opposite. from what I have noticed, girls are prone to rote-learning and doing what they are told - irrespective of what research says.

The system - the school, teachers, and the society itself - is discouraging. The tradition has taken hold. If anything I find girls in India/China have the best chances of excelling in math as parents want their girls ALSO to become engineers. Unfortunately, the math curriculum has weakened tremendously in Engineering programs worldwide.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: from what I have noticed, girls are prone to rote-learning and doing what they are told - irrespective of what research says.

my younger daughter is the quintessential example of what he says. she refuses all rote learning, and rejects algorithmic approaches to learning math. if i don't explain the why of something i don't have a prayer of keeping her interest.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: from what I have noticed, girls are prone to rote-learning and doing what they are told - irrespective of what research says.

my younger daughter is the quintessential example of what he says. she refuses all rote learning, and rejects algorithmic approaches to learning math. if i don't explain the why of something i don't have a prayer of keeping her interest.

She is an exception. But, there are fewer girls like your daughters than boys with similar nature. Learning without an explanation comes out of the basic trait in a person - boy or girl.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

she's just not a math person. she loves science/bio/etc, but math is not her thing. She's exactly like my sis. they can do it if they have too, but zero interest.
>>>My kids fall in this category. The sad thing is both have an aptitude for it, but are just lazy to work through problems The older guy has the American phobia with word problems (translation: does not read them). I had to force him to sit with me with the practice tests when he was preparing for the SAT.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>My kids fall in this category. The sad thing is both have an aptitude for it, but are just lazy to work through problems The older guy has the American phobia with word problems (translation: does not read them). I had to force him to sit with me with the practice tests when he was preparing for the SAT.

and he does! I'm impressed Kris.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:35 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>Well, there was a lot of team building activity as well as bribing. I think dads in India have it easier ( or did anyway, when I was that age)

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>Well, there was a lot of team building activity as well as bribing. I think dads in India have it easier ( or did anyway, when I was that age)

Smile

yup, they seldom worried about their sons grades; I guess they attained nirvana much earlier in their lives.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:06 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
yup, they seldom worried about their sons grades; I guess they attained nirvana much earlier in their lives.

really? I had a cane festival every 3 months. It stopped only after I escaped to Amrikkaa....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:26 pm

bw had posted this some time ago. i finally got around to reading it in detail. very interesting read and useful for parents of teenagers who are getting ready for the AP phase of their school careers:

http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0512158

this guy is a very deep thinker about science education in high schools and freshman year in college. he is also a very nice guy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bw had posted this some time ago. i finally got around to reading it in detail. very interesting read and useful for parents of teenagers who are getting ready for the AP phase of their school careers:

this guy is a very deep thinker about science education in high schools and freshman year in college. he is also a very nice guy.

for a minute I will set aside all these studies and research.... needless to say, this is a very complex problem involving the right student, right teacher, right parent, and right environment. Variables are endless.

Since you are a learned person, solve all complex problems in a simple manner. Notice which subject the kid "reaches out" on a daily basis....Ask why not the other subject...If it is bcz of teacher or solvable issue try to rectify that. If there is no concrete reason, encourage the kid in the subjects that are of "natural" interest. Sometimes, the kid hits the right combo and surprises you by showing interest in the very topic you liked and the kid hated at sometime in the past.

Bottomline, girls should be educated and parents should ensure they can stand on their own confidently and comfortably.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bw had posted this some time ago. i finally got around to reading it in detail. very interesting read and useful for parents of teenagers who are getting ready for the AP phase of their school careers:

for a minute I will set aside all these studies and research.... needless to say, this is a very complex problem involving the right student, right teacher, right parent, and right environment. Variables are endless.

Since you are a learned person, solve all complex problems in a simple manner. Notice which subject the kid "reaches out" on a daily basis....Ask why not the other subject...If it is bcz of teacher or solvable issue try to rectify that. If there is no concrete reason, encourage the kid in the subjects that are of "natural" interest. Sometimes, the kid hits the right combo and surprises you by showing interest in the very topic you liked and the kid hated at sometime in the past.

Bottomline, girls should be educated and parents should ensure they can stand on their own confidently and comfortably.

can you quit the bromides for ten minutes and invest it in glancing through the article?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

can you quit the bromides for ten minutes and invest it in glancing through the article?

Nope....no time for such things.....and there is no need for me...as I am not too concerned about my great grandkids......

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 am

err..what century are you in, saamiyar?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:01 am

bw wrote:

21st century...and yes, I see the "19th century" tradition still continuing among the Indians.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 am

bw wrote:

>>>"problem involving the right student, right teacher, right parent, and right environment. Variables are endless."

What Saamiyaar is absolutely correct. My grand niece was a very bad student till the 11th grade. Now doing great in pre-caluculus and AP Psychology. Her math teacher does not believe in cramming. Asks the student to write down the forumlas in index cards and let them use them on the test. Does not believe in rote memorization. The Psychology teacher is also sparking interest in the course by discussing with students than lecturing to them from he text book.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down