Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traditional Telugu Wedding

+3
confuzzled dude
truthbetold
Seva Lamberdar
7 posters

Go down

Traditional Telugu Wedding Empty Traditional Telugu Wedding

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Back to top Go down

Traditional Telugu Wedding Empty Re: Traditional Telugu Wedding

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Is that your wedding video Kinnera?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Did not see this movie. should check this out.
aren't they showing widower participating in wedding process. nice touch.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:11 pm

truthbetold wrote:Did not see this movie. should check this out.

It's a nice movie. I watched it twice, once in the theater and once on youtube. Do watch it!
Ya, I liked the widow participation part too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:13 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Is that your wedding video Kinnera?

Lol! no. I got to convert my wedding video to US (PAL?) mode and digitized it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:25 pm

In spite of such videos circulating on the Internet in large numbers and showing people in south India as not very different from those in north India, what really is surprising that some people (more so in south India) still think that the Telugus etc. are a part of separate dark-complexioned 'dravidian' race and racially quite different from the light-complexioned north Indian 'aryans'.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:In spite of such videos circulating on the Internet in large numbers and showing people in south India as not very different from those in north India, what really is surprising that some people (more so in south India) still think that the Telugus etc. are a part of separate dark-complexioned 'dravidian' race and racially quite different from the light-complexioned north Indian 'aryans'.

They are not. We don't look any different. People won't know I am a telugu until i tell them that i am. No, it's not written on our faces nor does anything indicate that we are.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Kinnera wrote:

It's a nice movie. I watched it twice, once in the theater and once on youtube. Do watch it!

What century you guys are living in? People put this nonsense behind at least a couple of decades ago.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:38 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

What century you guys are living in? People put this nonsense behind at least a couple of decades ago.

They did, but may not be in villages and with old people.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

I doubt it very much, we're talking about majority though there could still be some hardcore orthodox types.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:07 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

I doubt it very much, we're talking about majority though there could still be some hardcore orthodox types.

As far as i have seen, the older widow women don't themselves go and put the sacred rice (akshantalu) on such occasions unless asked to do so. The same is shown in the movie (though a little dramatic)

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Cd,
change happens in steps, waves, and in some cases gradually. Widow participation has improved dramatically but it is not yet 100%.

all the other images brought back memories of past. marriages in usa are so scripted it is a different feeling.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:In spite of such videos circulating on the Internet in large numbers and showing people in south India as not very different from those in north India, what really is surprising that some people (more so in south India) still think that the Telugus etc. are a part of separate dark-complexioned 'dravidian' race and racially quite different from the light-complexioned north Indian 'aryans'.

When my cousin got married to her northindina guy he came up on a horse, took out a long gilded sword (he got a license for it for that occasion) from his cummerbund-like thing and tipped the head of the door and said, "I am here to take your daughter," and he flashed a paan-toothed grin. We were like, "huh, we discussed this remember?  we will get you married to her." all this in the financial district.

believe me, we are very different, and if flim flam was here he'd remind you that we are better-nourished and better-looking.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Kinnera wrote:

They are not. We don't look any different. People won't know I am a telugu until i tell them that i am. No, it's not written on our faces nor does anything indicate that we are.

how so kinnera? what have you done to cause such confusion? do you have highlights in your hair? perhaps you bleached your skin? do you wear norhtindian sarees? are you like jayaprada - she appears totally northindian now.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:35 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

When my cousin got married to her northindina guy he came up on a horse, took out a long gilded sword (he got a license for it for that occasion) from his cummerbund-like thing and tipped the head of the door and said, "I am here to take your daughter," and he flashed a paan-toothed grin. We were like, "huh, we discussed this remember?  we will get you married to her." all this in the financial district.

believe me, we are very different, and if flim flam was here he'd remind you that we are better-nourished and better-looking.

>>> Take your daughter?

Looks like the culture he grew up is similar to that of Mongolia where the accepted tradition is for the bridegrrom to kidnap the bride and get married to her.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:50 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

oh also we were trying incorporate both our cultures and it resulted in some very strange situations:

the groom's (let's give him a name just to make things easier - gulli) side - his sisters had taken care of the stylists and everything, so for the sangeet and various other things the bride ( we will call her malli) looked northindian the entire time. the triad of stylists kept following us everywhere offering to do airbrush make up on us and style our hair and this and that. they had more machines than an endoscopy or even an OR suite. I know when to stay away. So on the day of the wedding, my family was very busy and the trimurthis if bridal makeup worked on malli. When malli stepped onto the wedding pedestal, it was the first time we were seeing her upclose that day, and we almost fainted. she looked like a Bengali bride, not a telugu bride and alas, not even like a northindian bride.

the other "moment" I remember was, after we had entirely given up on trying to make any sense of what was going on, suddenly the priest - our priest from the hindu temple - suddenly pops open a black umbrella and says "this is good time to do the kasi yathra" dude, you're in the middle of the wedding, you're either telugu or tamil, you should know better, we simply watched eyes and mouths wide open in amazement.  everyone was tucked comfortably inside the hotel at this point, you know!  I was standing behind malli and I giggled hysterically. my sis kept saying, relax, just try to look pretty for the pictures. I was in my kanjeevaram saree.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:11 pm

the wedding platform was in shades of gold and ivory and ochre, out of nowhere this black umbrella - probably one that he uses - ruined quite a few pictures I might say. it was actually scary if you ask me.

and then part of the wedding was in another language - who knows, Mongolian, maybe.

by the way after the wedding, the reception was in the same place and these decorators and the staff of the hotel were so efficient, that in just 45 mins the entire floor was quickly altered to a color theme that was fuschia and blue and diamonds and they changed the centerpieces  at every table - previously they had ornate flowers and then they switched to some crystal art pieces and the light bounced off nicely and everything glittered so everyone could feel like they were a star, you wouldn't have even known that you were at the same place still! I had fun at the reception. there was one baby which was crying a lot and the parents took it outside. they should've gotten a baby-sitter for the evening.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:25 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

how so kinnera? what have you done to cause such confusion? do you have highlights in your hair? perhaps you bleached your skin? do you wear norhtindian sarees? are you like jayaprada - she appears totally northindian now.
I henna my hair, i try to take the tan and dark spots off by applying lemon or lemon and honey or a mixture of besan, turmeric, lemon and yogurt. When at home, immediately after a shower, i moisturize my body with parachute coconut oil and my face with sesame oil. When at work, I apply Estee Lauder's shell beige foundation to my face. Any more details needed? Razz

Most indians are beige and that's the complexion i have. I have had ppl guess me to be a gujarati, maharashtrian, tamilian, punjabi, a general north india, a general south india and even hispanic. All the people in the video are telugus [except rohini hattangadi (a maharastrian) and prakash raj (kannadiga). Samantha is half telugu and half malayali.] Do they look markedly different from the rest of the folks in India?

As for the customs, even among telugus, they differ according to region and caste. So, what's the big deal?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Kinnera wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

I henna my hair, i try to take the tan and dark spots off by applying lemon or lemon and honey or a mixture of besan, turmeric, lemon and yogurt. When at home, immediately after a shower, i moisturize my body with parachute coconut oil and my face with sesame oil. When at work, I apply Estee Lauder's shell beige foundation to my face. Any more details needed? Razz

Most indians are beige and that's the complexion i have. I have had ppl guess me to be a gujarati, maharashtrian, tamilian, punjabi, a general north india, a general south india and even hispanic. All the people in the video are telugus [except rohini hattangadi (a maharastrian) and prakash raj (kannadiga). Samantha is half telugu and half malayali.] Do they look markedly different from the rest of the folks in India?

As for the customs, even among telugus, they differ according to region and caste. So, what's the big deal?
*indian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:54 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

Even in that case (being better-looking because of better food or as better-nourished), it does not make SIs a different race from north Indians.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Seva:  The average Bihari and UP bhaiyya is darker than the average Telugu person. The latter may even has sharper features compared to many bhaiyyas and Biharis.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Seva:  The average Bihari and UP bhaiyya is darker than the average Telugu person. The latter may even has sharper features compared to many bhaiyyas and Biharis.

are your saying that all telugus possess koteru lanti mukkulu Razz  even if we pretend that they do it doesn't make them of a different stock, does it?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 pm

CD,
I was responding to Seva's post on Aryans and Dravidians. Very Happy

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Rishi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

>>> Take your daughter?

Looks like the culture he grew up is similar to that of Mongolia where the accepted tradition is for the bridegrrom to kidnap the bride and get married to her.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Rishi wrote:

It seems there are eight ways to marry according to manusmriti.  Smile 
http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part18/chap5.htm

Back when I was in 8th or 9th grade in India, our teacher desribed the "rakshasa" and "paisachika" types of marriage slightly differently. In "raakshasa," the groom carries the girl away fighting her family in the process (Krishna marrying Rukmini, Arjuna marrying Subhadra, etc.), and "paisaachika" the girl kidnaps the guy (Usha-Aniruddha, Uloochi-Arjuna). The kamakoti website says paisaachika is - the guy forces the girl to marry him (against her wishes).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down