Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking News on DK

+5
confuzzled dude
nevada
Rishi
truthbetold
Hellsangel
9 posters

Go down

Breaking News on DK Empty Breaking News on DK

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:31 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/09/prosecutor-indian-diplomat-indicted-on-visa-fraud-charge-but-has-left-us/
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Breaking News on DK Empty Re: Breaking News on DK

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Hellsangel wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/09/prosecutor-indian-diplomat-indicted-on-visa-fraud-charge-but-has-left-us/
finally fox news breaks news. that is really unexpected twist.
two things. this dk character never comes back to usa.
Indian govt should really clean up its payment act. it is a shame for a major democratic country to break law and expect.to get away with it.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:48 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/09/prosecutor-indian-diplomat-indicted-on-visa-fraud-charge-but-has-left-us/
Indian govt should really clean up its payment act. it is a shame for a major democratic country to break law and expect.to get away with it.

>>>It is on ABC news also.

It is just that Fox new said on the headline that she left the country. Fox news was not the first to report this new development.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 pm

I am speculating but someone as high as sec of state or wh made a decision to end this drama. i hope this means dk does not come back to usa.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:03 pm

How was this(flying out of the US) possible? I thought she was safe only as long as she remained in the UN compound.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:05 pm

nevada wrote:How was this(flying out of the US) possible? I thought she was safe only as long as she remained in the UN compound.

he revealed that she was "very recently" given diplomatic immunity status and has left the country. It's unclear who granted that status, and whether the State Department -- which had been trying to tamp down the controversy -- was involved.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 pm

truthbetold wrote:
That's rubbish. Is it worse than interfering with another country's judicial system by whisking away citizens of another country on whom legal proceedings are underway . Did you think America did not break any laws of host countries when they brought  American diplomats, counselors that committed grave crimes (killing people) back to America.

I agree with you on Indian Govt. cleaning up their act. It might be cost effective to hire local help for Indian diplomats than bringing maids over from India. It saves them from lot of trouble/cost dealing with con artists like Sangeeta Richard.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:50 am

truthbetold wrote:
The main issue for the Indian Govt. probably was her strip search.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:53 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
That's rubbish. Is it worse than interfering with another country's judicial system by whisking away citizens of another country on whom legal proceedings are underway . Did you think America did not break any laws of host countries when they brought  American diplomats, counselors that committed grave crimes (killing people) back to America.

I agree with you on Indian Govt. cleaning up their act. It might be cost effective to hire local help for Indian diplomats than bringing maids over from India. It saves them from lot of trouble/cost dealing with con artists like Sangeeta Richard.

Yes. They should rather deal with Con-Artists like DK and her father.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

Yes. They should rather deal with Con-Artists like DK and her father.
It is funny how in the case of the maid, there is no presumption of innocence until proven guilty. But the corrupt, rule breaker diplomat is "defended" so vigorously by internet patriots. Indian govt won't hire local help abroad because they won't work extra hours for free and they cannot be threatened.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:53 pm

nevada wrote:
It is funny how in the case of the maid, there is no presumption of innocence until proven guilty. But the corrupt, rule breaker diplomat is "defended" so vigorously by internet patriots. Indian govt won't hire local help abroad because they won't work extra hours for free and they cannot be threatened.

-> So it only works one way? Doesn't this logic apply to DK? Was the maid or her family members strip searched and incarcerated? Before ascending Sangeeta Richrad to celestial like status you may want to take a look at the arguments and some facts from the other side too. Here are a few excerpts from Prabhu Dayal's  (former Consul General in New York) column

"For decades, domestic assistants accompanying our diplomats to the US have gone missing, preferring to stay there illegally and pursue their dollar dream"

"in 2010, New York state enacted the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights, after which there has been a spate of lawsuits filed by domestic workers. "

"Now, a few words about two earlier cases which took place in New York.

"Shanti Gurung worked as a housekeeper for Dr Neena Malhotra, Consul for over three years. I met her often as she would come to the consulate to attend functions such as Republic Day, Independence Day, Diwali, Baisakhi etc, as well as music concerts, and she was always happy and contented.

I was shocked when she went missing on the eve of Dr Neena's departure from New York on transfer, and even more shocked when she filed a lawsuit a year later against her employer alleging confinement, forced labour, slavery, illtreatment etc. No doubt, she did so to obtain a T Visa."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2528046/Fear-loathing-New-York-Former-diplomat-Prabhu-Dayal-reveals-Indian-envoys-US-fall-victim-maids-pursuing-American-dreams.html

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:33 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:

-> So it only works one way? Doesn't this logic apply to DK? Was the maid or her family members strip searched and incarcerated? Before ascending Sangeeta Richrad to celestial like status you may want to take a look at the arguments and some facts from the other side too. Here are a few excerpts from Prabhu Dayal's  (former Consul General in New York) column

"For decades, domestic assistants accompanying our diplomats to the US have gone missing, preferring to stay there illegally and pursue their dollar dream"

"in 2010, New York state enacted the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights, after which there has been a spate of lawsuits filed by domestic workers. "

"Now, a few words about two earlier cases which took place in New York.

"Shanti Gurung worked as a housekeeper for Dr Neena Malhotra, Consul for over three years. I met her often as she would come to the consulate to attend functions such as Republic Day, Independence Day, Diwali, Baisakhi etc, as well as music concerts, and she was always happy and contented.

I was shocked when she went missing on the eve of Dr Neena's departure from New York on transfer, and even more shocked when she filed a lawsuit a year later against her employer alleging confinement, forced labour, slavery, illtreatment etc. No doubt, she did so to obtain a T Visa."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2528046/Fear-loathing-New-York-Former-diplomat-Prabhu-Dayal-reveals-Indian-envoys-US-fall-victim-maids-pursuing-American-dreams.html

So this shit has been happening for years and it is clear as mud that there is a risk of the help running away (with or without reason). Knowing all this if you still take a risk and bring in a maid from India, then don't cry uncle and raise a ruckus. 

DK is corrupt and implicated in one or two scams back in India. So I will definitely not think that she is an innocent victim. Sangitha doesn't have a prior criminal case or petty theft case or extortion case against her so I will not assume that she is a con artist. Just because she belongs to the underclass and a few domestic maids have resorted to green card scams, I will not assume that she is guilty of a similar scam.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:59 pm

nevada wrote:
So this shit has been happening for years and it is clear as mud that there is a risk of the help running away (with or without reason). Knowing all this if you still take a risk and bring in a maid from India, then don't cry uncle and raise a ruckus. 
I believe 120 other countries practice the same, which is what caused all this ruckus, and this only seems to happen only in New York. I agree India should stop sponsoring for Domestic help but what would they do with Security Guards, well at least they can't take shelter under involuntary servitude

nevada wrote:
DK is corrupt and implicated in one or two scams back in India. So I will definitely not think that she is an innocent victim. Sangitha doesn't have a prior criminal case or petty theft case or extortion case against her so I will not assume that she is a con artist. Just because she belongs to the underclass and a few domestic maids have resorted to green card scams, I will not assume that she is guilty of a similar scam.
Sure, DK & her dad should be thoroughly investigated for those alleged scams. None of those maids involved in prior cases had any prior criminal back ground either, in fact that woman who worked for Prabhu Dayal went with him on other missions and worked for 5 years.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:
I believe 120 other countries practice the same, which is what caused all this ruckus, and this only seems to happen only in New York. I agree India should stop sponsoring for Domestic help but what would they do with Security Guards, well at least they can't take shelter under involuntary servitude

nevada wrote:
Sure, DK & her dad should be thoroughly investigated for those alleged scams. None of those maids involved in prior cases had any prior criminal back ground either, in fact that woman who worked for Prabhu Dayal went with him on other missions and worked for 5 years.

I don't like the "everybody does it" excuse. Everybody goes over the speed limit but only a few people get pulled over. If you go over the limit, be ready to be pulled over and don't whine and complain that life is unfair.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:29 pm

nevada wrote:
I don't like the "everybody does it" excuse. Everybody goes over the speed limit but only a few people get pulled over. If you go over the limit, be ready to be pulled over and don't whine and complain that life is unfair.

I don't think Indian Govt. cried unfair it did exactly what America did to rescue their diplomats when they were in trouble. I don't view this as DK vs SR issue.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:50 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
nevada wrote:

I don't think Indian Govt. cried unfair it did exactly what America did to rescue their diplomats when they were in trouble. I don't view this as DK vs SR issue.
-> and this seems to be the unwritten rule followed by both countries.

" Senior diplomat and ambassador to US in 1990's, KC Singh has clarified this today on TV - according to VCCR (I think he said sec 46/47), US has no rights to impose its wage structure on Indian diplomats/consulars/workers.
But US started sending these min-wage compliance forms (since 1990's) to approve VISA application for maids (coz of bureaurocratic procedures of having complaice with local laws before approving VISAS of anyone). They (US authorities) have (for at least 2 decades now) - had a tacit understanding with Indian diplomats on such an arrangement (where we show a fake form just for compliance, and you approve knowing well that you cannot force Indian diplomats to pay your minimum wages, and so there will be no prosecution).
This is what all our diplomats have said on TV - when they alleged a sort of conspiracy by US where they disregard a 20 year old arrangement in this matter and act like they didn't know this was being done forever."

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:27 pm

I don't think Indian Govt. cried unfair it did exactly what America did to rescue their diplomats when they were in trouble. I don't view this as DK vs SR issue.[/quote]
-> and this seems to be the unwritten rule followed by .........,
This is what all our diplomats have said on TV - when they alleged a sort of conspiracy by US where they disregard a 20 year old arrangement in this matter and act like they didn't know this was being done forever."[/i][/quote]

Cd,
thanks for posting this info. This is what Indians and many other nations go by. That is why Indian side was angry.
however as Nevada pointed there were indications of this agreement being slowly disposed of by Usa actions in past few years.
This case was complicated by devyanis desire to stick around for her family and few overzealous state Dept officials.

Lesson for India: saved by a whisker. Time to clean up. Kurshid did say that India will start cleaning up.

When a country sends diplomats abroad, they pay daily allowances to cover living cost differences. It should apply to maids and security guards. That is the cost of doing business in Usa. We may all end up paying more visa fees to pay adequate wages for sangerta.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:04 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Cd,
thanks for posting this info. This is what Indians and many other nations go by. That is why Indian side was angry.
however as Nevada pointed there were indications of this agreement being slowly disposed of by Usa actions in past few years.
This case was complicated by devyanis desire to stick around for her family and few overzealous state Dept officials.

Lesson for India: saved by a whisker. Time to clean up. Kurshid did say that India will start cleaning up.

When a country sends diplomats abroad,  they pay daily allowances to cover living cost differences. It should apply to maids and security guards. That is the cost of doing business in Usa.  We may all end up paying more visa fees to pay adequate wages for sangerta.
and don't extend courtesies unilaterally to the diplomats of the nations that don't give a damn about your dips.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:14 pm

[quote="confuzzled dude"]
truthbetold wrote:
Cd,

When a country sends diplomats abroad,  they pay daily allowances to cover living cost differences. It should apply to maids and security guards. That is the cost of doing business in Usa.  We may all end up paying more visa fees to pay adequate wages for sangerta.
and don't extend courtesies unilaterally to the diplomats of the nations that don't give a damn about your dips.[/quote
]
cd
India needs Usa politically and economically. India offers goodies to Usa to get something from them. There is no such thing as equality in international relationships. So India should reassess and restart the healing process. It will take at least few months.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Really! like what? Pakistan treats America like a piece of shit (hiding Osama & his cohorts for years) yet they get preferential treatment every single time.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:59 pm

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
Cd,

and don't extend courtesies unilaterally to the diplomats of the nations that don't give a damn about your dips.[/quote
]
cd
India needs Usa politically and economically. India offers goodies to Usa to get something from them. There is no such thing as equality in international relationships. So India should reassess and restart the healing process. It will take at least few months.

>>>TBT, while I agree with the need to get back on track with the bilateral relationship, India does have more leverage now in terms of what it offers (big market, strategic ally vis a vis China/Pakistan). It needs to go down this path without giving away the store. By the way, the situation is a lot more nuanced than it appears on the surface when we look at the DK affair. There are probably enough guys in the US establishment who think the way this was handled was foolish, considering the overall relationship. This is a two way street and I am sure both sides see it. I see the recent fiasco as a one-off situation, but India still needs to be on guard for loose canons like Bharara that can throw things into a tailspin. Reciprocity can be one of the measures to consider while rebuilding to retain some leverage should these situations come up in the future.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:12 pm

truthbetold wrote:I don't think Indian Govt. cried unfair it did exactly what America did to rescue their diplomats when they were in trouble. I don't view this as DK vs SR issue.
-> and this seems to be the unwritten rule followed by .........,
This is what all our diplomats have said on TV - when they alleged a sort of conspiracy by US where they disregard a 20 year old arrangement in this matter and act like they didn't know this was being done forever."[/i][/quote]

Cd,

When a country sends diplomats abroad,  they pay daily allowances to cover living cost differences. It should apply to maids and security guards. That is the cost of doing business in Usa.  We may all end up paying more visa fees to pay adequate wages for sangerta.[/quote]

>>>> India can also rework the compensation packages to factor in the medical, boarding and  lodging. The gap will be smaller with prevailing market wages then. There probably should be a further upward adjustment, but maybe not at the level a NY maid would be paid. Since this is not an immigrant  visa scenario, I think this may be legally plausible as long as the wages are over minimum wage. Where India needs to clean up its act is in the treatment of this help as "servant maids". This is probably what got DK in trouble. I have seen this in Singapore as well, where there is mental and emotional abuse of young girls -late teens- brought over from countries like India and I have heard this is very prevalent in the middle east. It is a cultural problem where the idea of individual respect is absent, something that is very alien to the American mindset.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:24 am

Cue the violins. Are her husband and children forbidden from traveling to India?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:00 am

Haha...I don't know if anyone posted this earlier, but looks like her entry into IFS was also through daddy's connections.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 am

That interview seems so off - either she's not too bright or she is playing the media. That remark about her kids choosing to live or work in US is weird. Who lets a 4 and 7 year old decide where to live and work?

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/nyregion/tense-talks-with-us-agencies-up-until-indian-diplomat-departed.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down