Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ugly Sexism seems to be rampant in Kerala

3 posters

Go down

Ugly Sexism seems to be rampant in Kerala Empty Ugly Sexism seems to be rampant in Kerala

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:19 am

When Anima Muyarath, a 24-year-old lawyer in Kerala, wrote about her male colleagues on her Facebook page in October 2013, she did not realise that she would become a topic of national discussion.

The bar association in the city where she works suspended Muyarath for a month for her Facebook post.

This is what she posted on her Facebook page in October, in Malayalam: 'It has been five months since I started practising as a lawyer... I don't know whether the workplace in the other parts of the world is like this or not.'

'I met several lecherous persons at the bar. It seems they do not see current Malayalam films; they still address women as 'sugar candy, darling' and tell them 'You are so beautiful'...

'They still follow the age-old practice of looking at young women as either lovers or sisters. Let me express my contempt for all these useless men.'

Her suspension has not angered or saddened Muyarath; it has amused and surprised the young lawyer....

http://m.rediff.com/getahead/interview/it-was-a-kind-of-eve-teasing-says-lawyer-suspended-for-facebook-post/20140110.htm

Back to top Go down

Ugly Sexism seems to be rampant in Kerala Empty Re: Ugly Sexism seems to be rampant in Kerala

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:23 am

Anima Muyarath wrote:It seems they do not see current Malayalam films; they still address women as 'sugar candy, darling' and tell them 'You are so beautiful'...

They still follow the age-old practice of looking at young women as either lovers or sisters. Let me express my contempt for all these useless men.

She's absolutely right. Those guys need to update their vocab. Also, what's the point just saying all these things without actually groping her?? No wonder she's full of contempt for such useless men.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Ugly Sexism seems to be rampant in Kerala Empty Re: Ugly Sexism seems to be rampant in Kerala

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:22 am

let me give some advice in a manner typical of a well known poster on this board -- she should apply for admission to harvard or some other ivy league school with this history narrated in her essay. she will gain admission to their LLM program.

now in my own voice -- she seems mature beyond her years.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 am

Why are these Northindians teasing Southindians in Southindia?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down