Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

swamy - Hindu temples to Hindus

+7
smArtha
Hellsangel
Kris
FluteHolder
Kayalvizhi
MaxEntropy_Man
Vakavaka Pakapaka
11 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

swamy - Hindu temples to Hindus  - Page 3 Empty Re: swamy - Hindu temples to Hindus

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the simple truth is i just don't believe the chidambara dikshitars. i'd like a disinterested party that is comprised of proper historians that are neither from the dikshitar community nor the oduvar community to do some historical research. the reason i say that is that everywhere in TN the norm is that tamil bhakti poetry takes a central role in temple worship in addition to sanskrit liturgy. i find the explanations about the kashmiri king etc. thoroughly unconvincing. on the other side of the controversy is the undeniable fact that there are so many beautiful thevAra paNNs about chidambaram, many of which were composed by tamil brahmins! they couldn't have been composed in a complete vacuum.
Hinduism thrived on one main thing: parampara, the guru-sishya parampara or other forms of parampara-the handing over of traditions from one generation to another. The vedas, without even a written text, have been preserved and passed on in the same fashion for thousands of years. Brahmins, esp priests, are sticklers for hanging on to tradition and rightfully so. If tamil verses are not chanted currently in some temples, then they have never been chanted there. No one you would've dared change that tradition.

Believe what you want to believe, if it satisfies your mindset.

I am outta this thread. I have nothing more to add.

but these very same brahmins are also the people whose ancestors were authors of many thevAra paNNs. so in the case of tamil brahmins this simple minded exclusive equation of brahmins = sanskritic ritualistic liturgy does not quite work. and it has been so forever. other tamil hindus who have been remarkably silent (uppili, impy, rishi, ponniyin selvan, GC etc.) can chime in anytime they want.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

swamy - Hindu temples to Hindus  - Page 3 Empty Re: swamy - Hindu temples to Hindus

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 pm

here are two prominent authors of the thEvAram who were brahmins.

sundaramoorthy nAyanAr: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundarar)

thirugnana sambandar: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambandar)

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:.other tamil hindus who have been remarkably silent (uppili, impy, rishi, ponniyin selvan, GC etc.) can chime in anytime they want.

Maybe Trollus will chime in.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:.other tamil hindus who have been remarkably silent (uppili, impy, rishi, ponniyin selvan, GC etc.) can chime in anytime they want.

Maybe Trollus will chime in.

i never got the sense that she is into bhakti poetry at all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 pm

and there are historical connections between the thevAram and the chidambaram temple:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/society/i-amm-kodilingam-thevaram-singer-and-teacher/article4660577.ece

“During the reign of Raja Raja Chola, the king heard the Thevaram sung with great devotion. The king liked the tune and the words so much that he had the hymns traced to Chidambaram, where they were found in the corner of the temple, written on chuvadis. But there was a hitch — the caretakers wouldn’t hand them over. So, the images of the saints Appar, Sambandar, Sundarar and Manikavachagar — who lived between the 6th and 8th centuries and wrote the hymns — were taken out in a procession, and the hymns were recovered and compiled,”

when i read this though, i get the sense that the DDs have been DDs for a long time.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and there are historical connections between the thevAram and the chidambaram temple:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/society/i-amm-kodilingam-thevaram-singer-and-teacher/article4660577.ece

“During the reign of Raja Raja Chola, the king heard the Thevaram sung with great devotion. The king liked the tune and the words so much that he had the hymns traced to Chidambaram, where they were found in the corner of the temple, written on chuvadis. But there was a hitch — the caretakers wouldn’t hand them over. So, the images of the saints Appar, Sambandar, Sundarar and Manikavachagar — who lived between the 6th and 8th centuries and wrote the hymns — were taken out in a procession, and the hymns were recovered and compiled,”

when i read this though, i get the sense that the DDs have been DDs for a long time.

You are permitted to sing tamil songs within the premises of the Chidambaram temple by the Dikshitars, just not from within the sanctum sanctorum of the temple. The Dikshitars, being sticklers for tradition, do not wish to change this centuries old tradition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and there are historical connections between the thevAram and the chidambaram temple:

Why should the Dikshitars have gifted the images (on which the word were engraved) to the king? They allowed the images to be taken out in a procession, the words copied, and the images returned.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Why should the Dikshitars have gifted the images (on which the word were engraved) to the king? They allowed the images to be taken out in a procession, the words copied, and the images returned.

why keep the images of the saints who wrote poetry that they didn't much care about (if that's what the historical record is) anyway?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:36 pm

the role of nambiyAndAn nambi (also a brahmin but not a dikshitar) in recovering the half ant-eaten manuscripts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambiyandar_Nambi

Raja Raja Chola I (985-1013 CE) embarked on a mission to recover the hymns after hearing short excerpts of Tevaram in his court.[4] He sought the help of Nambi Andar Nambi, who was a priest in a temple.[5] It is believed that by divine intervention Nambi found the presence of scripts, in the form of cadijam leaves half eaten by white ants in a chamber inside the second precinct in Thillai Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram.[5][4] The brahmanas (Dikshitars) in the temple opposed the mission, but Rajaraja intervened by consecrating the images of the saint-poets through the streets of Chidambaram.[4][6] Rajaraja thus became to be known as Tirumurai Kanda Cholan meaning one who saved the Tirumurai.[6] Thus far Shiva temples only had images of god forms, but after the advent of Rajaraja, the images of the Nayanar saints were also placed inside the temple.[6] Nambi arranged the hymns of three saint poets Sampantar, Appar and Sundarar as the first seven books, Manickavasagar's Tirukovayar and Tiruvacakam as the 8th book, the 28 hymns of nine other saints as the 9th book, the Tirumandiram of Tirumular as the 10th book, 40 hymns by 12 other poets as the 10th book, Tirutotanar Tiruvanthathi - the sacred anthathi of the labours of the 63 nayanar saints and added his own hymns as the 11th book.[7] The first seven books were later called as Tevaram, and the whole Saiva canon, to which was added, as the 12th book, Sekkizhar's Periya Puranam (1135 CE) is wholly known as Tirumurai, the holy book. Thus Saiva literature which covers about 600 years of religious, philosophical and literary development.[7]
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

why keep the images of the saints who wrote poetry that they didn't much care about (if that's what the historical record is) anyway?

The saints and also the Dikshitars care deeply and passionately about Tamil poetry. It is just a centuries old tradition in the temple that the prayers from within the sanctum Sanctorum of the temple will be in Sanskrit. Meanwhile, this book may have the answers to the issues being discussed on the Chidambaram temple in this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Home-Dancing-Sivan-Traditions/dp/0195095332/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390350736&sr=1-3&keywords=Nataraja+temple+Chidambaram

Last edited by Rashmun on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm

people who care deeply about something don't let ants eat away at original manuscripts.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:44 pm

some interesting history of rAja rAjan's role in compiling the thirumurais (http://www.shaivam.org/ad_rajarajan.htm). that's why he is called sivapAdasEkaran or thirumurai kaNda chOzhan (the chOzhan who discovered and resurrected the thirumurais).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:people who care deeply about something don't let ants eat away at original manuscripts.

This is a mythological story involving divine intervention. Seems more like a cooked up story to me. If the manuscript were half eaten by ants how come we have the entire literature available to us today ?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:people who care deeply about something don't let ants eat away at original manuscripts.

This is a mythological story involving divine intervention. Seems more like a cooked up story to me. If the manuscript were half eaten by ants how come we have the entire literature available to us today ?

the role of nambiyAndan nambi and rAja rAjan are not mythological. i think there is recorded history about their roles.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm

sEkkizhAr who wrote a hagiography of the nAyanmArs in his periya purANam a century later explicitly mentions his debt of gratitude to nambiyAndAn nambi. so that part is definitely not mythological.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

the role of nambiyAndan nambi and rAja rAjan are not mythological. i think there is recorded history about their roles.

Some of the story is true but the part about the manuscript being half eaten by ants and also the part about divine intervention is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:30 pm

This article was published after the Madras High Court passed a judgement wresting control of the temple away from the Dikshitars and before the Supreme Court gave temple control back to the Dikshitars:

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=20091023262102600.htm&date=fl2621/&prd=fline&

The article has important clarifications on some of the issues discussed in this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Rashmun wrote:This article was published after the Madras High Court passed a judgement wresting control of the temple away from the Dikshitars and before the Supreme Court gave temple control back to the Dikshitars:

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=20091023262102600.htm&date=fl2621/&prd=fline&

The article has important clarifications on some of the issues discussed in this thread.

From the article:

According to another story, in the 10th century A.D., the Chola king Rajaraja sought the Dikshitars’ help to recover the palm-leaf manuscripts of Tamil hymns kept in a chamber at the temple, but they did not oblige him readily. They asked for the physical presence of the four legendary authors and Tamil savants – Sambandar, Appar, Sundarar and Manickavachagar. The king outsmarted them by bringing the golden icons of the poet-saints. The Dikshitars were forced to open the chamber and the manuscripts were retrieved, the story goes....

“It is also history that due to certain conflicts between the Saivites and Vaishnavites, the idol of Thillai Govindaraja was removed in or about the 13th century and later during the rule of Vijayanagara kings, one of their chieftains reconstructed the Govindaraja sannidhi [sanctum sanctorum], after which [17th century] the small sannidhi in its present form came to stay and pujas are being performed by a separate sect of Vaishnavite priests,” it says...

the Dikshitars claim that they have been performing the temple rituals as per the Vedic system, which is different from the Agama rules adopted in several other temples in the State, and that they have been managing the affairs of the temple in full conformity with tradition...

In Chidambaram, there are around 300 families of Dikshitars with a total population of 1,500. The portrayal of their life by Edgar Thurston in his monumental work Castes and Tribes of Southern India (1909) appears to be relevant even today: “[T]hey do not give their girls in marriage to other sections of Brahmans, and they do not allow their women to leave Chidambaram. Hence arises the proverb a Thillai girl never crosses the boundary line. The Dikshitars are priests of the temple of Nataraja at Chidambaram, where they serve in turns. Males marry very early in life, and it is very difficult to secure a girl for marriage above the age of five. The tendency to marry when very young is due to the fact that only married persons have a voice in the management of the affairs of the temple, and an individual must be married before he can get a share of the temple income. The chief sources of income are the pavadam (heaps of cooked rice piled up or spread on a board), which are offered to god. Every Dikshitar will do his best to secure clients…. As a class, the Dikshitars are haughty, and refuse to acknowledge any of the Sankarachariars as their priests, because they are almost equal to the god Siva, who is one of them.”

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 pm

this doesn't show the dikshitars in a good light at all! beating a fellow up because he sang the thevaram! i feel justified in coining the term DD to refer to them. thuggish behavior and unbecoming of men of god.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this doesn't show the dikshitars in a good light at all! beating a fellow up because he sang the thevaram! i feel justified in coining the term DD to refer to them. thuggish behavior and unbecoming of men of god.

and i wonder if the quarrel with the sri vaishnavites at the govindaraja perumAL temple was about the chanting of AzhwAr pasurams in tamil. the article seemed to hint at it. the sri vaishnavites have always made the pasurams a part of their religious canons.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this doesn't show the dikshitars in a good light at all! beating a fellow up because he sang the thevaram! i feel justified in coining the term DD to refer to them. thuggish behavior and unbecoming of men of god.

They beat him up not because he sang the thevaram but because he sang it from the sanctum Santorum in violation of tradition and despite knowing that this is a sacred tradition. He could have sung the thevaram somewhere else in the temple. He was asking for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:02 pm

violence is no answer to anything.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

and i wonder if the quarrel with the sri vaishnavites at the govindaraja perumAL temple was about the chanting of AzhwAr pasurams in tamil. the article seemed to hint at it.  the sri vaishnavites have always made the pasurams a part of their religious canons.

The answer to your speculation is No. Since the clash occurred in the 13th century as per the article and if the reason for the clash would have been the one u are giving it would have taken place a lot earlier.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:09 pm

and they seem to be in the news usually for all the wrong reasons.

According to the local people, a section of Dikshitars are in the news every now and then for the wrong reasons. There have been reports that they take the law into their own hands whenever some problem arises. Citing an instance, they said a group of Dikshitars assaulted mediapersons inside the temple and snatched or damaged their cameras on January 7, 2004.

Local journalists lodged a complaint with the Chidambaram town police, naming four Dikshitars. In another incident, the Dikshitars ransacked the office of the executive officer of the temple shortly after his appointment was upheld by the High Court 12 years ago. The office signboard and furniture were smashed then, local people recalled.

sorry, these are the guys who are being glorified by folks here? their actions make them look like common thugs. MD the carnatic composer would have been utterly ashamed of these guys.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and they seem to be in the news usually for all the wrong reasons.

According to the local people, a section of Dikshitars are in the news every now and then for the wrong reasons. There have been reports that they take the law into their own hands whenever some problem arises. Citing an instance, they said a group of Dikshitars assaulted mediapersons inside the temple and snatched or damaged their cameras on January 7, 2004.

Local journalists lodged a complaint with the Chidambaram town police, naming four Dikshitars. In another incident, the Dikshitars ransacked the office of the executive officer of the temple shortly after his appointment was upheld by the High Court 12 years ago. The office signboard and furniture were smashed then, local people recalled.

They damaged the cameras because there are strict rules about not taking pictures inside the temple premises and the people whose cameras got damaged must have been taking pictures of the temple idols. I am surprised how you keep being judgemental about them.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and they seem to be in the news usually for all the wrong reasons.

They damaged the cameras because there are strict rules about not taking pictures inside the temple premises and the people whose cameras got damaged must have been taking pictures of the temple idols.  I am surprised how you keep being judgemental about them.

i am getting a more complete view of them and it unfortunately only reinforces my already poor opinion of them. not allowing their women to leave chidambaram? marriage at the age of five? wtf? sorry what planet and what era do these guys think they are living in? even traditions have some limits informed by common decency and current socially acceptable norms. thanks for posting this hindu article.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 am

The Dikshitars are said to be fanatical about defending the rights and sanctity of the Nataraja temple. When another group had tried to enter the premises in the 19th century, the Dikshitars were said to have climbed atop the temple tower to leap to death. The shocked intruders beat a hasty retreat.
When the East India Company and later the British Crown seized the powers of native kings, they took control of most temples in south India through a regulation act. But the Chidambaram temple managed to secure exemption from the purview of the Hindu Religious Endowment Bill of 1891. The Podu Dikshitars applied to the Governor-in-Council and won exemption from the related law in 1925.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140107/jsp/nation/story_17760362.jsp#.Ut9XfX88KSM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 am

Their collective ownership of the temple is institutionalized through endogamous marriages (Dikshitars are allowed to marry only within the community, hence all the families are related to each other). Since only married sons can become officiating priests – which in turn entitles them to become equal members of the collectivity and earn a share of the revenues -, universal and early marriage is the norm. The governance of the temple is conducted by regularly elected committees, in which all the families are represented by rotation. Similarly, daily poojas are conducted by a team of six Dikshitars drawn from six families, again by rotation. It is said that, given the principle of equality on which the community members function in relation to each other, at committee meetings no single person can arrogate to himself the position of Chair. Hence the temple store keeper – invariably a salaried outsider – is requested to step in to conduct meetings!

The Dikshitars have historically safeguarded their autonomy in matters of temple governance by never accepting land or cash grants from any single external agency. Rather, they built a core of hereditarily enduring relationships with ‘patrons’ who made periodic and annual donations to the temple; and they supplemented these revenues with one-off donations from visitors to the temple. This invisible and unarticulated web of one-on-one relationships between priests and worshippers has been the hallmark of the Chidambaram temple. Through the last 15 centuries, the entitlements and conventions of the Dikshitars were scrupulously respected, first by the various princely dynasties – Chola, Pandya, Vijayanagar – that ruled the region successively, then by the British, and finally by the Supreme Court of independent India.

http://rr2606.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/chidambaram/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:13 am

Rashmun wrote:Their collective ownership of the temple is institutionalized through endogamous marriages (Dikshitars are allowed to marry only within the community, hence all the families are related to each other). Since only married sons can become officiating priests – which in turn entitles them to become equal members of the collectivity and earn a share of the revenues -, universal and early marriage is the norm. The governance of the temple is conducted by regularly elected committees, in which all the families are represented by rotation. Similarly, daily poojas are conducted by a team of six Dikshitars drawn from six families, again by rotation. It is said that, given the principle of equality on which the community members function in relation to each other, at committee meetings no single person can arrogate to himself the position of Chair. Hence the temple store keeper – invariably a salaried outsider – is requested to step in to conduct meetings!

The Dikshitars have historically safeguarded their autonomy in matters of temple governance by never accepting land or cash grants from any single external agency. Rather, they built a core of hereditarily enduring relationships with ‘patrons’ who made periodic and annual donations to the temple; and they supplemented these revenues with one-off donations from visitors to the temple. This invisible and unarticulated web of one-on-one relationships between priests and worshippers has been the hallmark of the Chidambaram temple. Through the last 15 centuries, the entitlements and conventions of the Dikshitars were scrupulously respected, first by the various princely dynasties – Chola, Pandya, Vijayanagar – that ruled the region successively, then by the British, and finally by the Supreme Court of independent India.

>>> I agree with Subramaniam Swamy's posture on these ancient temples needing to be wrested away from governmental control. The idea of  government oversight as  a remedy to financial irregularities is a joke. Also, I read the blog on Chidambaram above (nicely written, by the way), but am still not clear on the ownership aspect with regard to the temple. If the Deekshitars own it and they are the sole owners, they are legally entitled to use Sanskrit, if that is their preference. If there are other stakeholders, the other stakeholders will have a say as well. The blog mentions visitors as contributors. I imagine they are not an organized force. The government should have a voice, only if the temple gets government subsidies or even a tax exemption. If this is not the case, this language issue will boil down to what the market wants. Then it will be a numbers game.*  

*P.S. I am not familiar with temple protocols or what it takes to change them. These protocols could be the reason why the devotees have gone along with 'Sanskrit only' rule at this temple, despite many not being exposed to Sanskrit.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Their collective ownership of the temple is institutionalized through endogamous marriages (Dikshitars are allowed to marry only within the community, hence all the families are related to each other). Since only married sons can become officiating priests – which in turn entitles them to become equal members of the collectivity and earn a share of the revenues -, universal and early marriage is the norm. The governance of the temple is conducted by regularly elected committees, in which all the families are represented by rotation. Similarly, daily poojas are conducted by a team of six Dikshitars drawn from six families, again by rotation. It is said that, given the principle of equality on which the community members function in relation to each other, at committee meetings no single person can arrogate to himself the position of Chair. Hence the temple store keeper – invariably a salaried outsider – is requested to step in to conduct meetings!

>>> I agree with Subramaniam Swamy's posture on these ancient temples needing to be wrested away from governmental control. The idea of  government oversight as  a remedy to financial irregularities is a joke. Also, I read the blog on Chidambaram above (nicely written, by the way), but am still not clear on the ownership aspect with regard to the temple. If the Deekshitars own it and they are the sole owners, they are legally entitled to use Sanskrit, if that is their preference. If there are other stakeholders, the other stakeholders will have a say as well. The blog mentions visitors as contributors. I imagine they are not an organized force. The government should have a voice, only if the temple gets government subsidies or even a tax exemption. If this is not the case, this language issue will boil down to what the market wants. Then it will be a numbers game.*  

*P.S. I am not familiar with temple protocols or what it takes to change them. These protocols could be the reason why the devotees have gone along with 'Sanskrit only' rule at this temple, despite many not being exposed to Sanskrit.

The controversy about temple management in the Nataraja temple at least has come to an end after the Supreme Court handed over temple management back to the Dikshitars after the DMK state govt had wrested control of the temple from them on the ground that they were indulging in mismanagement and irregularities. The court held that the state govt can take over management of the temple temporarily for for some time if there is some kind of irregularity or mismanagement in the temple administration but it cannot do so permanently and eventually temple management has to be given back to the Dikshitars.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:
The controversy about temple management in the Nataraja temple at least has come to an end after the Supreme Court handed over temple management back to the Dikshitars after the DMK state govt had wrested control of the temple from them on the ground that they were indulging in mismanagement and irregularities. The court held that the state govt can take over management of the temple temporarily for for some time if there is some kind of irregularity or mismanagement in the temple administration but it cannot do so permanently and eventually temple management has to be given back to the Dikshitars.

Let the DMK govt take over the mosques and insist that the Koran be read in Tamil and not Arabic. All their actions against the Chidambaram temple are with sinister intentions and kudos to the Dikshitars for standing their ground and fighting back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

They damaged the cameras because there are strict rules about not taking pictures inside the temple premises and the people whose cameras got damaged must have been taking pictures of the temple idols.  I am surprised how you keep being judgemental about them.

i am getting a more complete view of them and it unfortunately only reinforces my already poor opinion of them. not allowing their women to leave chidambaram? marriage at the age of five? wtf? sorry what planet and what era do these guys think they are living in? even traditions have some limits informed by common decency and current socially acceptable norms. thanks for posting this hindu article.

That's from a report of a britisher written in 1909, more than a century ago, not the current era. Selective comprehension, eh?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 pm

but this DMK business is a bit of a red herring. there is opposition to the dikshitars' stubborn and unrelenting position from among the hindu public that the temple serves. and i disagree fundamentally with the notion of ownership of a temple by priests. the temple exists for the public, the priests are custodians, no more.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:39 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

That's from a report of a britisher written in 1909, more than a century ago, not the current era. Selective comprehension, eh?

In fairness to Max, the Hindu article does say that what the Britisher wrote more than a century ago appears to be relevant even today indicating that these practices are continuing to this day at least with respect to the extract from the book which the Hindu article quoted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:but this DMK business is a bit of a red herring. there is opposition to the dikshitars' stubborn and unrelenting position from among the hindu public that the temple serves. and i disagree fundamentally with the notion of ownership of a temple by priests. the temple exists for the public, the priests are custodians, no more.

From an article whose link I gave earlier:

Through the last 15 centuries, the entitlements and conventions of the Dikshitars were scrupulously respected, first by the various princely dynasties – Chola, Pandya, Vijayanagar – that ruled the region successively, then by the British, and finally by the Supreme Court of independent India.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Rashmun wrote:

They beat him up not because he sang the thevaram but because he sang it from the sanctum Santorum in violation of tradition and despite knowing that this is a sacred tradition. He could have sung the thevaram somewhere else in the temple. He was asking for it.
If the guy wanted to read the tamil thevarams, he could've done so sitting somewhere in the corridors of the temple and reciting silently to himself. He needn't have done it in the Sanctum Santorium, singing loudly. A person with true bhakti wouldn't do that. That was done with malicious intentions. He knew he was going to be opposed and wanted that so he could file a case in the court.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Let the DMK govt take over the mosques and insist that the Koran be read in Tamil and not Arabic. All their actions against the Chidambaram temple are with sinister intentions and kudos to the Dikshitars for standing their ground and fighting back.

the tradition of singing the panniru thirumurais in saivite temples is neither radical nor modern. it is a very ancient tradition in TN. perhaps this is not the practice elsewhere in india, but tamil posesses a very ancient and extensive body of religious literature, much of which has been in use in temples dating back to the seventh century at the very least.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

If the guy wanted to read the tamil thevarams, he could've done so sitting somewhere in the corridors of the temple and reciting silently to himself. He needn't have done it in the Sanctum Santorium, singing loudly. A person with true bhakti wouldn't do that. That was done with malicious intentions. He knew he was going to be opposed and wanted that so he could file a case in the court.

silently? SILENTLY? you are completely unaware of how this is done. please educate yourself by visiting a temple in TN sometime. you sound like a total ignoramus. google the word "oduvar".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

the tradition of singing the panniru thirumurais in saivite temples is neither radical nor modern. it is a very ancient tradition in TN. perhaps this is not the practice elsewhere in india, but tamil posesses a very ancient and extensive body of religious literature, much of which has been in use in temples dating back to the seventh century at the very least.

the Dikshitars claim that they have been performing the temple rituals as per the Vedic system, which is different from the Agama rules adopted in several other temples in the State, and that they have been managing the affairs of the temple in full conformity with tradition...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:47 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

If such a tradition was there in the chidambaram temple, it would've been followed. Who are the DMK walas to try to impose that? Besides, they are mostly atheists/anti hindu. Let them mind their own business. Do they dare poke their fingers at christian and muslim religious affairs and institutions?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Something along those lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhan#Turkey
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:34 pm

aside: i am not sure if the koran is actually read in tamil in TN mosques, but there is a rich body of islamic religious poetry dating back to the eighteenth and nineteenth century written in tamil. one of these is the sIrApurANam, a life of the prophet, written in a style closely mimicking and in the same meter as the kambarAmAyaNam.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:aside: i am not sure if the koran is actually read in tamil in TN mosques, but there is a rich body of islamic religious poetry dating back to the eighteenth and nineteenth century written in tamil. one of these is the sIrApurANam, a life of the prophet, written in a style closely mimicking and in the same meter as the kambarAmAyaNam.  

The Koran is never read in any other language anywhere in a mosque.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Also the link from Adhan led me to liturgical language and I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_language#Hinduism wrote:Hinduism is traditionally considered to have two liturgical languages, Sanskrit and Tamil. Sanskrit is the language of the Vedas, Bhagavadgita, Puranas like Bhagavatham, and the Upanishads, and various other liturgical texts such as the Sahasranama, Chamakam and Rudram. It is also the tongue of most Hindu rituals.
Tamil is the language of the 12 Tirumurais (which consists of the great devotional hymns of Tevaram, Tiruvacakam etc.,) and the Naalaayira Divya Prabhandham (considered to be the essence of the Vedas, in Tamil, and all in praise of Lord Vishnu). These devotional hymns, which were sung in almost every Shiva and Vishnu temple of the South India, the then Tamil country and even North Indian temples like Badrinath Temple, are considered to be the basis for the Bhakti movement which saved Hinduism from extinction.[3]
The people following Kaumaram, Vainavam, Shaivam sects of South India and use Tamil as liturgical language along with Sanskrit. Divya Prabandha is chanted in most of the South Indian Vishnu temples like Tirupati.Indian literature . Dravidian people considered their language Tamil to be sacred and divine with equal status to Sanskrit within temple rituals, which is still being followed even by some temples in present day non-Tamil speaking areas. The divya prabhandams and Devarams are referred to as Dravida Vedam (Tamil Veda).
A long standing myth states that Sanskrit and Tamil emerged from either side of Lord Shiva's divine drum of creation as he danced the dance of creation as Nataraja or sound of cosmic force.
Also most of the devotional texts on Lord Murugan or Subramanian are in Tamil and references in the Ancient Tamil literature traces the origin of Lord Murugan to the Ancient Tamil country.[4]
Tamils consider their language itself as a goddess TamilThaai. She is worshiped by tamils all over the world. In Madurai, there is a temple for Goddess Tamil Thaai!.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:10 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:but this DMK business is a bit of a red herring. there is opposition to the dikshitars' stubborn and unrelenting position from among the hindu public that the temple serves. and i disagree fundamentally with the notion of ownership of a temple by priests. the temple exists for the public, the priests are custodians, no more.

If you understand the concept of a Hindu temple, its consecration and ritual upkeep reasons, you'll know why the custodians are necessary to ensure that the instructions laid out be strictly followed. In fact, even the so called custodians don't have authority to change the practices/rituals laid out by the original Rishis/Yogis/Divine Embodiments who consecrated it or those of similar spiritual attainment (viz. Shankaracharya, Ramanuja etc.) that re-defined them when the original practices had degenerated or lost to time . 

I had already mentioned in this discussion that a Hindu temple is a place to 'receive Divine Grace that flows as some form of energy/vibration' and for that Grace to flow to the 'public' it has to be invoked and consolidated at the time of consecration and kept up through regular rituals. This is the reason why an abandoned temple i.e. one where regular rituals are not being performed is no longer a Divine abode (even if the idol is very much there) and in some cases even emanates negative energies not conducive for the general public to visit or be in the vicinity. 

A properly consecrated and maintained temple is not just a psychological support but an existential one. And this is as opposed to the religious places of many other religions where the concept of consecration and upkeep doesn't exist. This is the single most reasons why the strict adherence to the laid out practices is important. And thus the custodian priests are as important as the consecrated idol for the public to be able to 'receive anything worthwhile' during their visit. Having said that, if the Dikshitars or any priests have 'customised' those practices to suit their own whims and if there is sufficiently strong evidence to the same then those practices can and should be reverted.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Also the link from Adhan led me to liturgical language and I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_language#Hinduism wrote:Hinduism is traditionally considered to have two liturgical languages, Sanskrit and Tamil. Sanskrit is the language of the Vedas, Bhagavadgita, Puranas like Bhagavatham, and the Upanishads, and various other liturgical texts such as the Sahasranama, Chamakam and Rudram. It is also the tongue of most Hindu rituals.
Tamil is the language of the 12 Tirumurais (which consists of the great devotional hymns of Tevaram, Tiruvacakam etc.,) and the Naalaayira Divya Prabhandham (considered to be the essence of the Vedas, in Tamil, and all in praise of Lord Vishnu). These devotional hymns, which were sung in almost every Shiva and Vishnu temple of the South India, the then Tamil country and even North Indian temples like Badrinath Temple, are considered to be the basis for the Bhakti movement which saved Hinduism from extinction.[3]
The people following Kaumaram, Vainavam, Shaivam sects of South India and use Tamil as liturgical language along with Sanskrit. Divya Prabandha is chanted in most of the South Indian Vishnu temples like Tirupati.Indian literature . Dravidian people considered their language Tamil to be sacred and divine with equal status to Sanskrit within temple rituals, which is still being followed even by some temples in present day non-Tamil speaking areas. The divya prabhandams and Devarams are referred to as Dravida Vedam (Tamil Veda).
A long standing myth states that Sanskrit and Tamil emerged from either side of Lord Shiva's divine drum of creation as he danced the dance of creation as Nataraja or sound of cosmic force.
Also most of the devotional texts on Lord Murugan or Subramanian are in Tamil and references in the Ancient Tamil literature traces the origin of Lord Murugan to the Ancient Tamil country.[4]
Tamils consider their language itself as a goddess TamilThaai. She is worshiped by tamils all over the world. In Madurai, there is a temple for Goddess Tamil Thaai!.

that passage pretty much nails it for me. this has been my understanding of hinduism as practiced by tamilians for eternity. what non-tamilians seem to have a bit of a problem grasping is that the use of tamil in temple liturgy is not something that is being enforced at the behest of some political forces! not so. it has always been so, forever, since time immemorial. what the political forces have sought to do is inject controversy where none existed. and the non-tamilians with no understanding of tamil temple practice prior to the political controversy are looking at this through a purely political angle.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Also the link from Adhan led me to liturgical language and I found this:

that passage pretty much nails it for me. this has been my understanding of hinduism as practiced by tamilians for eternity. what non-tamilians seem to have a bit of a problem grasping is that the use of tamil in temple liturgy is not something that is being enforced at the behest of some political forces! not so. it has always been so, forever, since time immemorial. what the political forces have sought to do is inject controversy where none existed. and the non-tamilians with no understanding of tamil temple practice prior to the political controversy are looking at this through a purely political angle.

Are you claiming that the Dikshitars are non-Tamilians?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

two points: they seem to have a very non-standard understanding of temple worship. two, i read elsewhere contrary to what you claimed, that they themselves recite the thirumurai during worship. i am not sure if this (the second point) is true or not.  the evidence is that the chidambaram temple is very central to the thirumurais as it is mentioned over and over again. it was also the original repository of the manuscripts which the dikshitars seemed to have let decay, but saved through the collaboration of raja rajan and nambiAndAn nambi. if the court has made this sort of a decree, we'll just have to accept it and move on. but everywhere else in TN this is not the practice. or maybe like you said, they do consider themselves kashmiris. i just don't know.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

two points: they seem to have a very non-standard understanding of temple worship. two, i read elsewhere contrary to what you claimed, that they themselves recite the thirumurai during worship. i am not sure if this (the second point) is true or not.  the evidence is that the chidambaram temple is very central to the thirumurais as it is mentioned over and over again. it was also the original repository of the manuscripts which the dikshitars seemed to have let decay, but saved through the collaboration of raja rajan and nambiAndAn nambi. if the court has made this sort of a decree, we'll just have to accept it and move on. but everywhere else in TN this is not the practice. or maybe like you said, they do consider themselves kashmiris. i just don't know.

with respect to the Dikshitars reciting the thirumurai, of course they do so. They do sing tamil songs in honor of Shiva; it is just that they have this tradition that any prayers offered from the sanctum sanctorum of this temple must be in Sanskrit.

There is nothing to show that they allowed tamil manuscripts to decay. They were in fact guarding the tamil manuscripts and reluctant to share them with raja raja chola because they were possessive of the tamil manuscripts which were in their possession. The fact that the entire literature in the manuscripts was retrieved belies the claim that they were half eaten by white ants because the Dikshitars were not taking good care of the manuscripts. This white ants thing is a concoction to show the Dikshitars in a poor light; it also does not show up in the story about Raja Raja and the Dikshitars in the Hindu article whose link and extracts I gave earlier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Here is another take on the origin of the Dikshitars:

The Dikshitars have always been the collective owners and custodians of the Chidambaram Nataraja temple. Once reputed to have numbered 3000, and now reduced to 350 families, the Dikshitars believe that they arrived in Chidambaram from Mount Kailash, along with Lord Nataraja himself, as his personal staff. Through the ages, they have managed the temple – set in 40 acres of its own land – raising the revenues for its upkeep, carrying out daily maintenance of the premises and periodic repairs and restoration of the structure, conducting the many elaborate poojas (prayer rituals) that take place every day, and organizing periodic festival celebrations in honour of Nataraja.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next