Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ramachandra Guha: Narendra Modi is a bully and a bigot. He will damage Indian democracy

Go down

Ramachandra Guha: Narendra Modi is a bully and a bigot. He will damage Indian democracy Empty Ramachandra Guha: Narendra Modi is a bully and a bigot. He will damage Indian democracy

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:32 pm

KOLKATA: The BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is a "bully" and an "absolute authoritarian", historian Ramchandra Guha said on Wednesday.

Guha said the Gujarat chief minister could "damage" the Indian democracy, but not "destroy" it.

"He is a bully and a bigot, and I detest him. Unlike others, I don't believe he will change, because at 62 you cannot have a personality transformation," Guha said at a session at the Kolkata literary meet.

Alleging that intellectual freedom was suppressed in Gujarat, Guha hoped the country would not succumb to "fascism" if the Bharatiya Janata Party ( BJP) leader comes to power.

"If you look at his behaviour in Gujarat, where intellectual freedom is suppressed, when he talks he says 'Main, mujhe, mera, maine' (I, me and myself), he takes credit for everything," Guha noted.

"He is an absolute authoritarian, a bully, indulges only in 'I, me and myself', but he can only damage the Indian democracy but cannot destroy it."

"Unlike many others, I have a greater hope that fascism will not happen if he comes to power. Unlike the Emergency period, there are non-BJP governments in many states across the country," he said.

Echoing Guha, veteran journalist Mark Tully said anyone who aspired to take absolute power in the country will fall flat on his face.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Modi-authoritarian-bully-Ramachandra-Guha-says/articleshow/29568194.cms?

Back to top Go down