Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mosques open to non-Muslims

+3
Kris
bw
Hellsangel
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mosques open to non-Muslims Empty Mosques open to non-Muslims

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:12 pm

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/131210/lifestyle-travel/gallery/mosques-open-non-muslims

Hmm..  aren't all Mosques & Dargahs open to everyone unlike Hindu temples.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Mosques open to non-Muslims Empty Re: Mosques open to non-Muslims

Post by truthbetold Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Cd
unlike Hindu temples?
which Hindu temple check your religion?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:52 pm

truthbetold wrote:Cd
unlike Hindu temples?
which Hindu temple check your religion?

Isn't this topic discussed every 6 months on SuCH. Latest such discussion took place, as I recall, was when CM Kirankumar Reddy & his wife visited TTD. Isn't Puri temple popular for such practices e.g. not letting Indira inside?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Are mosques open to women?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Are mosques open to women?
Yes

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:02 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Are mosques open to women?
Yes
In India?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Puri temple has certain rules and so does ttd . i am sure they are other temples like that. but they do not characterize all the temples.
all Hindu temples in usa are open to anyone who wants to come in. that includes women and people of faith. that reflects the current thought process of Hindus in general.

so do not pick old examples and distort facts.

but in any case, wwhich right thinking person wants join a religion like Islam with its reputation for breeding intolerance and terrorism? who wants to.go back to medieval l stupidity and ignorant arrogance?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:36 pm

truthbetold wrote:Puri temple has certain rules and so does ttd . i am sure they are other temples like that. but they do not characterize all the temples.
all Hindu temples in usa are open to anyone who wants to come in. that includes women and people of faith. that reflects the current thought process of Hindus in general.

but in any case, wwhich right thinking person wants join a religion like Islam with its reputation for breeding intolerance and terrorism? who  wants to.go back to medieval l stupidity and ignorant arrogance?

Careful now! You don't want Comrade CD issuing a fatwa against you. Or rather getting his Kebab dinner-mates to do it.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Puri temple has certain rules and so does ttd . i am sure they are other temples like that. but they do not characterize all the temples.

but in any case, wwhich right thinking person wants join a religion like Islam with its reputation for breeding intolerance and terrorism? who  wants to.go back to medieval l stupidity and ignorant arrogance?

Careful now! You don't want Comrade CD issuing a fatwa against you. Or rather getting his Kebab dinner-mates to do it.

Every now and then I have this urge to cane L'angelo on his bum.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Ha
you only live once.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Rolling Eyes

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I have been at the receiving end of being called Mullah or something similar on numerous occasions just because I had a different perspective or point of view. This has happened so often that I am fairly intolerant of this tactic even if it is used on another person.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I have been at the receiving end of being called Mullah or something similar on numerous occasions just because I had a different perspective or point of view. This has happened so often that I am fairly intolerant of this tactic even if it is used on another person.

ayyo, rashmun, desire to spank on the bum can be viewed as a kinky fetish.

eta: name calling is puerile.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Main purpose of posting this topic was to help Uppili overcome Islamophobia.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Main purpose of posting this topic was to help Uppili overcome Islamophobia.

a very noble objective but you are wrong on your facts. the vast majority of hindu temples are open to everyone--there are very few 'only for hindu' temples. with respect to mosques, you are wrong to the best of my knowledge. as far as i know, all mosques in india and pakistan do not permit women inside the mosque. this is true for the vast majority of mosques in the world.

However, it is true that anyone from any religion and any sex can do darshan in a sufi dargah. but the ambience in a sufi dargah is reminiscent of a hindu temple. even the sufi qawaalis are somewhat reminiscent of hindu bhajans since many of these sufi songs praise hindu gods and hindu pilgrim places. both hindus and muslims visit and pray in sufi dargahs. in that sense sufi dargahs are unique places of worship.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:17 pm

as a student in Canada i had a pakistani muslim friend. he used to pray together with other muslims from different countries. i once told him that i wanted to pray with him and his friends just for the experience. After all anyone should be allowed to join in a prayer to God. He said he would ask his friends and get back to me. Later he told me that his friends had said 'No' to my request. To be fair to them, maybe they thought i was a spy.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:
a very noble objective but you are wrong on your facts. the vast majority of hindu temples are open to everyone--there are very few 'only for hindu' temples. with respect to mosques, you are wrong to the best of my knowledge. as far as i know, all mosques in india and pakistan do not permit women inside the mosque. this is true for the vast majority of mosques in the world.

However, it is true that anyone from any religion and any sex can do darshan in a sufi dargah. but the ambience in a sufi dargah is reminiscent of a hindu temple. even the sufi qawaalis are somewhat reminiscent of hindu bhajans since many of these sufi songs praise hindu gods and hindu pilgrim places. both hindus and muslims visit and pray in sufi dargahs. in that sense sufi dargahs are unique places of worship.
Not really, low class Hindus (leave alone non-hindus) are not allowed inside the temples in many villages, it is getting better but not completely eliminated.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Not really, low class Hindus (leave alone non-hindus) are not allowed inside the temples in many villages, it is getting better but not completely eliminated.

this might be true in some remote village. for the most part the problem, i think, has been eliminated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Rashmun wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

this might be true in some remote village. for the most part the problem, i think, has been eliminated.

it should also be appreciated that reforms took place in Hinduism. for instance reforms with respect to sati and widow remarriage, and also reforms about injustices in the caste system through the bhakti movement in medieval India whose proponents preached equality before God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

it should also be appreciated that reforms took place in Hinduism. for instance reforms with respect to sati and widow remarriage, and also reforms about injustices in the caste system through the bhakti movement in medieval India whose proponents preached equality before God.
>>>That room for change is definitely a big + for Hinduism. We *have* come a long way in the past couple of generations.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 pm

doesn't sabarimala still prohibit women from entering?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 pm

bw wrote:doesn't sabarimala still prohibit women from entering?

if a woman is of an age where she is capable of menstruation then she is prohibited from entering Sabarimala. But this is clearly an aberration; i have never heard of this in any other temple. i know of at least one hanuman temple (in Khuldabad, Maharashtra) where women are prohibited from doing darshan from the sanctum sanctorum of the temple and the reason given is that in this temple the Hanuman idol is lying in a supine position and of course Hanuman is a brahmachari. But this is clearly an aberration as well and i know of at least one other temple (in Uttar Pradesh) where the Hanuman idol is also in a supine position but where women are permitted to pray from the sanctum sanctorum.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Good point. Also, not to mention the menstrual period restriction which many women religiously adhere to, even today.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Good point. Also, not to mention the menstrual period restriction which many women religiously adhere to, even today.

why nitpick on aberrations?

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Many black Americans did; Yousouf Youhana did and, Around 5,000 British people convert to Islam every year – and most of them are women. Six of them talk about prejudice, peace and praying in car parks;Conversely how many convert to Hinduism.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:57 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Many black Americans did; Yousouf Youhana did and, Around 5,000 British people convert to Islam every year – and most of them are women. Six of them talk about prejudice, peace and praying in car parks;Conversely how many convert to Hinduism.

just go to any hare krishna temple in america. typically at least 50% of the the devotees will be converts to Hinduism.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:12 am

Rashmun wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

This is not an aberration, majority of Indian women follow this custom they don't perform pooja even in their house during that period.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:15 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

This is not an aberration, majority of Indian women follow this custom they don't perform pooja even in their house during that period.

i am a north indian from uttar pradesh which is the most populous state in India. i have never heard of any woman in Uttar Pradesh following the custom that you speak of.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

AR Rahman too.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:27 am

Rashmun wrote:

if a woman is of an age where she is capable of menstruation then she is prohibited from entering Sabarimala. But this is clearly an aberration; i have never heard of this in any other temple. i know of at least one hanuman temple (in Khuldabad, Maharashtra) where women are prohibited from doing darshan from the sanctum sanctorum of the temple and the reason given is that in this temple the Hanuman idol is lying in a supine position and of course Hanuman is a brahmachari. But this is clearly an aberration as well and i know of at least one other temple (in Uttar Pradesh) where the Hanuman idol is also in a supine position but where women are permitted to pray from the sanctum sanctorum.

Maulana ji: Women who are having their HA days are never allowed in any temple. However, there is no way to find out and women themselves - out of fear of incurring the gods wrath - stay out during those days (will not even enter the temple premise). Hanuman or no hanuman.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:38 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Maulana ji: Women who are having their HA days are never allowed in any temple. However, there is no way to find out and women themselves - out of fear of incurring the gods wrath - stay out during those days (will not even enter the temple premise). Hanuman or no hanuman.  

Uppili the Poopili, what you are saying may hold true for Gounder women, but it does not hold true for UP women. But i will get this confirmed. On another note, how is your pooping disorder treating your these days?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Uppili the Poopili, what you are saying may hold true for Gounder women, but it does not hold true for UP women. But i will get this confirmed. On another note, how is your pooping disorder treating your these days?

Naarthie temples are duplicates of long last original temples, and whatever is practiced in these temples are not the original and traditional practices. You need to go south of the vindhyas to see the original and real hinduism that was practiced 2000 years ago.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:59 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Naarthie temples are duplicates of long last original temples, and whatever is practiced in these temples are not the original and traditional practices. You need to go south of the vindhyas to see the original and real hinduism that was practiced 2000 years ago.

is that why Tamilians throng to the Kashi Vishwanath temple and take a dip in the Ganges at Benaras and Prayag? Is that why Vaisnava Tamils throng to the temples of Mathura and Vrindavan? Is that why a practicing south indian hindu like sandilya (Vakavaka) took the ashes of his father to immerse in the Ganges in North India? Just ask Vakavaka where is the best place in India for a hindu to do shraadha of his ancestors? the place he will tell you is in North India. (I know because he and I discussed this long ago.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

>>>If they are converting to an ideology of 'my way or the highway (to hell)' and 'anyone who doesn't believe as I do is an infidel', they cannot be categorized as right-thinking. People convert for many reasons. Blacks in the US do/did to give themselves a new identity, one that is different from the one that was given to them during slavery. We cannot really classify that as being purely motivated by an attraction to a philosophy. I can see that somewhat in the case of people embracing sufi-ism or the ba'hai faith, but not mainstream Islam as we see it today. The comparison with Hinduism is a difficult one because Hindus are not looking to propagate their faith. In terms of people who do embrace Hindu modes of living  (yoga, meditation etc) in the West, you will find that there is a much higher direct correlation with educational levels than the Islamic converts you are referring to.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

is that why Tamilians throng to the Kashi Vishwanath temple and take a dip in the Ganges at Benaras and Prayag? Is that why Vaisnava Tamils throng to the temples of Mathura and Vrindavan? Is that why a practicing south indian hindu like sandilya (Vakavaka) took the ashes of his father to immerse in the Ganges in North India? Just ask Vakavaka where is the best place in India for a hindu to do shraadha of his ancestors? the place he will tell you is in North India. (I know because he and I discussed this long ago.)

ok i just checked and it turns out that a menstruating hindu woman is not permitted to do pooja or go to temple, etc. even in north india. however, sabarimala is an exception in the following sense:

if a woman is not menstruating at a particular point of time, but she is of an age in which she does experience menstrual cycles every month, then she is not permitted to enter the temple. in other words, only a very young girl or and older woman is ordinarily permitted to enter Sabarimala.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 am

Rashmun wrote:

rash
uppili was factual. that is a widely practiced belief.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:05 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

cd
read my post carefully. i said "right thinking person". people followed pol pot of.Cambodia and Hitler of Germany. that proves nothing. if anything that says they are some gullible who can be manipulated by extreme philosophies to cause immense harm to humanity.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 am

Kris wrote:
>>>If they are converting to an ideology of 'my way or the highway (to hell)' and 'anyone who doesn't believe as I do is an infidel', they cannot be categorized as right-thinking. People convert for many reasons. Blacks in the US do/did to give themselves a new identity, one that is different from the one that was given to them during slavery. We cannot really classify that as being purely motivated by an attraction to a philosophy. I can see that somewhat in the case of people embracing sufi-ism or the ba'hai faith, but not mainstream Islam as we see it today. The comparison with Hinduism is a difficult one because Hindus are not looking to propagate their faith. In terms of people who do embrace Hindu modes of living  (yoga, meditation etc) in the West, you will find that there is a much higher direct correlation with educational levels than the Islamic converts you are referring to.

I'm afraid we're painting it with a broad brush. An average Muslim is no different than an average Hindu or Christian. I don't think he is any more or less radical than any person of other faith.

As for Hinduism, we always like to take pride by bringing up proselytization angle but forget to add that many Hindus (lower class in particular) chose to leave because of the mistreatment meted out to them.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 am

truthbetold wrote:
cd
read my post carefully. i said "right thinking person".  people followed pol pot of.Cambodia and Hitler of Germany. that proves nothing. if anything that says they are some gullible who can be manipulated by extreme philosophies to cause immense harm to humanity.
What's the definition of this "right thinking" trait? I hope you don't mean RIGHT thinking as in conservative thinking Razz Do you think Yousuf Youhana & AR Rahaman are both gullible and radical?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:45 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
cd
read my post carefully. i said "right thinking person".  people followed pol pot of.Cambodia and Hitler of Germany. that proves nothing. if anything that says they are some gullible who can be manipulated by extreme philosophies to cause immense harm to humanity.
What's the definition of this "right thinking" trait? I ho
pe you don't mean RIGHT thinking as in conservative thinking Razz Do you think Yousuf Youhana & AR Rahaman are both gullible and radical?

right thinking person is one who can identify rahul is incompetent and a cleric who incites violence is dangerous and common sense like that.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:06 am

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
cd
What's the definition of this "right thinking" trait? I ho
pe you don't mean RIGHT thinking as in conservative thinking Razz Do you think Yousuf Youhana & AR Rahaman are both gullible and radical?

right thinking person is one who can identify rahul is incompetent and a cleric who incites violence is dangerous and common sense like that.
 Shocked  Rahul did not incite anything nor he acted like a cleric. In his defense, Rahul tried his best to avoid that question but Arnab kept on pushing him for an answer he wanted to hear.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 am

Rahul showed his inexperience and immaturity in the interview. I was surprised that the family couldn't provide him with a better set of intellectual faculties than he exhibited. He has gone through a lot but the least I would have expected is a careful shielding of 'entitlements' in his childhood, allowing him to absorb and internalize the history of his family and the forces he will deal with, in his adulthood. Indira did a good job of it with Rajiv, not so much with Sanjay. Unfortunately Sonia, displaced as she was from her culture and trying her best to fit into the complex tapestry of India, has failed with Rahul. It must be difficult in the 'house of mirrors' that Congress is, and Rahul speaking about the 'system' just makes us say, 'that's rich, coming from you!'

He could've said, "I think Modi is morally culpable for the riots...the courts may have cleared him and we can argue about the technicalities and legal interpretations, but in my mind and the minds of a large majority of Indians, he stands indicted" - for him to weasel out of such a straight answer showed he was being an amateur politician and not a leader.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:12 pm

Cd
I am a little puzzled. one does not need the additional proof of arnab's interview to recognize rahul's incompetence.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:22 pm

truthbetold wrote:Cd
I am a little puzzled. one does not need the additional proof of arnab's interview to recognize  rahul's incompetence.

From now on I am thinking of supporting Rahul.

He is an innocent and ignorant idiot and incapable of any wrong doing.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:29 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
cd
What's the definition of this "right thinking" trait? I hope you don't mean RIGHT thinking as in conservative thinking Razz Do you think Yousuf Youhana & AR Rahaman are both gullible and radical?
cd
any person who beliefs in a religion is gullible. any person who thinks changing his religion brings him closer to god.or other similar logic is not the sharpest brain around.
religion is a man made tool. It is closely intertwined with the culture of the group. Islamic culture is a reflection of static middle eastern societies. extreme elements came to dominate it and cause damage to rest of the human civilization. it doesn't mean all followers of islam are extremists . it is just that at this point in history we observed 40 to.50 years of domination of extremist element with medieval obscurantist philosophy. it causes physical and economic damage to.rest of the world.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:08 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:http://www.deccanchronicle.com/131210/lifestyle-travel/gallery/mosques-open-non-muslims

....And Allah alone gives success.

Allah has spoken and you better go for a refresher training under Maulana Rashmunullah and Maulana Gaywala.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:38 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:http://www.deccanchronicle.com/131210/lifestyle-travel/gallery/mosques-open-non-muslims

Allah has spoken and you better go for a refresher training under Maulana Rashmunullah and Maulana Gaywala.
It means you are allowed to enter the mosque as long as you don't engage in activities like distributing Hindutva flyers in there.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

It means you are allowed to enter the mosque as long as you don't engage in activities like distributing Hindutva flyers in there.

Correct! Only flyers to blow up the Great Satan can be distributed at mosques.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:24 pm

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
cd
cd
any person who beliefs in a religion is gullible.  any person who thinks changing his religion brings him closer to god.or other similar logic is not the sharpest brain around.
religion is a man made tool. It is closely intertwined with the culture of the group. Islamic culture is a reflection of static middle eastern societies. extreme elements came to dominate it and cause damage to rest of the human civilization. it doesn't mean all followers of islam are extremists . it is just that at this point in history we observed 40 to.50 years of domination of extremist element with medieval obscurantist philosophy. it causes physical and economic damage to.rest of the world.
Does this logic apply to those wingnuts happen to be Christians that go around shooting people randomly in schools & malls in America. Pray tell me, how many bomb attacks occurred in America in last decade and how many were killed due to those, in comparison to the folks killed by the guns. By your logic, extreme elements have been dominating Christianity in the USA and causing damage to the civilization more than any other religion.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:57 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
cd
cd
any person who beliefs in a religion is gullible.  any person who thinks changing his religion brings him closer to god.or other similar logic is not the sharpest brain around.
Does this logic apply to those wingnuts happen to be Christians that go around shooting people randomly in schools & malls in America. Pray tell me, how many bomb attacks occurred in America in last decade and how many were killed due to those, in comparison to the folks killed by the guns. By your logic, extreme elements have been dominating Christianity in the USA and causing damage to the civilization more than any other religion.

The single largest massacre in the United States happened on 9/11/2001 and it was carried out by Islamic extremists.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next