Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a dictionary to read Tamil newspapers

4 posters

Go down

I need a dictionary to read Tamil newspapers Empty I need a dictionary to read Tamil newspapers

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:15 pm

இவரது கணவர் வினோத் (28) பெங்களூருவில் தனியார் மென்பொருள் நிறுவனம் நடத்தி வருகிறார்.

மென்பொருள் means software

தேவயானிக்கு தடுப்புரிமை கிடையாது: நீதிமன்றத்தில் அமெரிக்க அரசு விளக்கம்

But what is தடுப்புரிமை?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

I need a dictionary to read Tamil newspapers Empty Re: I need a dictionary to read Tamil newspapers

Post by Petrichor Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:17 pm

Immunity

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

I need a dictionary to read Tamil newspapers Empty Re: I need a dictionary to read Tamil newspapers

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:18 pm

How many peoplke will understand if the paper said "immunity" written in Tamil script?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:21 pm

Rishi wrote:இவரது கணவர் வினோத் (28) பெங்களூருவில் தனியார் மென்பொருள் நிறுவனம் நடத்தி வருகிறார்.

But what is தடுப்புரிமை?

One of the industrial age products that came into Tamilnadu was trains. Of course there was no name for this novel mode of transport in Tamil. All trains used coal in those early years, and smoke came out of the engine. Like a cart (bullock cart) or carriage (horse-drawn carriage), which the Tamil people were familiar, trains also transported goods and people. So Tamil people called it pukai vandi. pukai - smoke, vandi - cart. Easy to remember; one need not have to memorize this name as is the case with the foreign name "train". Those Tamils who have studied in English may say, it is not difficult to remember train. What about people who do not know English? Tamil words and names should be "self-descriptive" and understandable to Tamils, even to those who do not know other languages.

Some people ask me, "Why create Tamil words? Why not just use the English words?" There are now computer centers or Internet centres in villages. There are people who do not know English; some of them do access the Internet. These people would easily remember the word sutti but not mouse; would easily remember arattai arangam but not chat room, would easily remember kuRunthattu but not compact disc or CD. Put yourself in their place. You will understand the need for Tamil words.''

http://www.tamiltribune.com/10/0701.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Rishi wrote:இவரது கணவர் வினோத் (28) பெங்களூருவில் தனியார் மென்பொருள் நிறுவனம் நடத்தி வருகிறார்.

But what is தடுப்புரிமை?

I was able to guess both given the context.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down